eBay Headaches

Was only joking @ToddW It’s entirely your choice sir.

I have asked a few non-international sellers if they would ship to the UK and it has often worked out well for both parties. I think there has only ever been one book that arrived damaged, in a box that looked like a 747 had landed on it! I took pictures of the carnage and eBay refunded the cost + shipping without any hassle.

1 Like

I’ve shipped international for years. However in the past for higher priced books ($50 and above) I have turned it off.

So is this an all in or nothing deal now?

1 Like

I sold one thing eBay said was international. It just had me ship it to them in Illinois and they took it from there. As long as I’m not having to fill out a customers for or pay extra I’m good with it.

1 Like

It looks like they are auto enrolling anyone who’s not setup for it. You can however opt out and manually block certain countries. It shouldn’t be a problem to setup individual listings with no international and others with it.

It was the auto enrollment and having to opt out that ticked me off. You guys are half tempting me to give international shipping another go.

1 Like

I’m going to give international a shot now with this newer program. I like the idea that we’re basically just responsible for getting things to the domestic reshipper. So, shipping charges are the same. Of course, if the buyer doesn’t like how the book showed up, they surely could still give you negative feedback, but it sounds like it’s at least worth a try.

1 Like

Have to say that a few sellers have missed out on my cash by not selling internationally.

To be honest the eBay programme shipping costs don’t always have a clear rationale, they vary significantly, but they have generally become more reasonable in recent times. Books at $150+ (at a decent price for the book) are sensible to buy with the shipping cost attached. For a while they were waaayyy too high.

The only downside is that shipping cannot be combined if more than one item is purchased, unless the seller revises the listing to sell the books as a pair.

They are tracked all the way from door to door and I haven’t had any problems other than the one I mentioned above, which was fixed to everyone’s satisfaction.

2 Likes

I’ve actually made quite a few transactions (buying and selling). Never had a problem with the service itself.

It’s really what do you do if the buyer wants to return the item. It’s not like you’re going to pay to have it shipped back. Which is why I don’t sell high priced items.

2 Likes

It’s actually different than the eBay global shipping program. It’s about the same except eBay handles any returns or issues. I actually opted back into it after finding out eBay will deal with any nonsense themselves. Any possible headaches are ebays so it’s a no brainer. I’m international now if anyone’s international look up my eBay listings in the sales thread. It’s under my name.

1 Like

Also there’s a $2500 cap on the value of eligible items.

1 Like

I’ve never sold anything near that so I’d be fine, I’d think.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is a coverless copy that cgc somehow didn’t catch and sold for a crazy amount of money for what it is. Probably a block worthy seller.

2 Likes

Yes. That is a “CGC Error.” Not a printer error.

Not sure how the seller is advertising it. Obviously CGC isn’t calling it an error on the label.

I wonder if someone tampered with the case and inserted a cover less copy…it’s highly unlikely, but not impossible.

The other thing is that the person is calling it a “CBE” and “1:25” which I don’t believe is possible to differentiate once the cover is removed. So block worthy on that advertising strategy alone.

4 Likes

This book was a preview for #5 that came with the CBE exclusive for #4 by Paolo Villanelli. I have a copy myself.

Those were the copies that they tore off as reader copies to limit their exclusive

6 Likes

That is not a preview…

you got taken

2 Likes

100% I’m sure someone could find a post in here and I’m sure the store advertised it as such. It’s a coverless copy and not a preview.

1 Like

Yeah, I believe you have a coverless copy of issue #4.

There are several auctions selling the set of three, but none seem to acknowledge the third book is a coverless throw-away copy.

The back cover notes next issue is #5 with a release date of
5/12/21. Issue #6 is also shown to the right with a release day of 6/30/21.

This has already been talked about here when it first came out. CBE included copies of #1 with the covers torn off as readers copies when you bought their clone wars #1 homage by Villanelli. Some person submitted the copy to CGC, probably as a joke, and CGC is so incompetent they graded it as a ‘Timeline’ variant not even realizing that’s just a #1 without a cover. Im pretty certain there’s many YouTube videos about it as it was a big deal alongside being when their qc was also at it’s worst point in recent history.

But yeah seems like that seller is hoping people forgot about that controversy and is trying to make a buck off buyers who don’t know.

Also I know this first hand as I did purchase one of the clone wars #1 homage sets directly from CBE when it was released and did receive the same reader copy.

3 Likes

Here’s one topic from when it first popped up, looks like our own @D-Rog chirping in on the cbcs forums about it.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/14031/page/1/star-wars-high-republic-timeline-variant/

3 Likes

Another thing that annoys me on eBay is when sellers block out the certification number and barcode that gives access to grader notes. I never understand when people do this. When I see it I think they have something to hide.

4 Likes