eBay Headaches

Yeah, it’s happened to me a couple times but not recently. Both times the packages arrived at its destination…just late.

1 Like

Same. I was sending a package to Florida. It went from the East coast, to California, to Texas and a couple other places before arriving late in Florida. I could have driven it there faster.

Yes. Both incoming and outgoing, and recently, which really made me unhappy waiting to see if my eBay customers would hold it against me despite shipping within hours of payment.

If they do, you can have it pretty easily removed. I had a customer in Puerto Rico leave me negative feedback a week after the book shipped from central OH (day after he bought it) and before he received it because it hadn’t arrived yet. I’m pretty sure there was a hurricane that recently hit as well. I was on the phone with eBay less than 5 mins, and it was gone.

Most customers are real understanding, especially when they can see the tracking, but some are just insane.

2 Likes

Update on my package being sent on a road trip all across the USA and back to Canada where it was stuck at the airport. USPS did not even tell Canada Post why it was sent back, they didn’t even know it was in Canada.

It’s now been 2 months and it’s still on a road trip. Shipped on Feb 15, was supposed to be there in 4 to 6 days. It’s now April 11. I had contacted the postal service last month and got it sent back across the border to the US. Luckily my buyer is understanding and the comic is only $15.

I refunded the customer and will deal with the postal service next week. Don’t feel like talking to them right now. It again has traveled the same path and going on another road trip. The package is still “traveling to next facility” in the tracking info. It’s the weirdest thing ever.

2 Likes

Has anyone has this happened to them? So I sold the Taylor Swift Mad Magazine. Woke up and saw that it was sold, proceeded to print out the ebay label and found out buyer is from Australia (I’m from Canada). Now on all my listings it always says shipping to USA and Canada only. I have occasionally copy and pasted a sold listing from another seller and used that as a template but ebay as always kept my shipping info the same.

Went to check the details page on my listing for the Mad Magazine and sure enough it says shipping worldwide from Canada (???) I went to check all my other listings and it all says shipping to USA and Canada only.

So I’m going ahead and ship this out to the customer but I’m trying to figure out if this was my fault and to prevent it in the future. I have no problems shipping it internationally but would usually require the customer to contact me for a shipping quote. The shipping cost to Australia costs more than the magazine and the shipping cost that I had stated. Just feels weird to me that I’ve sold more than a 1000+ items over the years and never encountered this until now. It’s actually the first magazine that I’ve sold.

Feels like ebay waved their magic wand and did some incantation to perform some voodoo magic to alter my listing to serve the Swifties all over the world.

I haven’t had that one happen but I will ship eBay stuff worldwide. I always have it set to calculated shipping. I blame eBay for your issue because its my biggest beef with eBay shipping is that they don’t let me set a fixed cost service (lettermail) and a calculated shipping cost for the same geographic area. So I can set fixed cost services for domestic shipping or I can set calculated cost for domestic but not both. In a perfect world, I want to be able to set lettermail up to a certain value or feedback rating of the buyer and calculated for the rest.

I’ll have to look into the calculated shipping option, thanks for that. Good thing it was only to Austrailia and not some place like Antarctica where you need a submarine to get to.

1 Like

Ebay in the US seems much easier. You ship it to a Ebay shipping center located in the US so you pay US domestic postage and then Ebay takes care of the rest. I believe Ebay charges the buyer an arm and leg to then ship it internationally. My understanding as a seller is that once it gets to the Ebay shipping center, Ebay inspects it etc, afterwards the seller is no longer responsible for shipping damages etc.

2 Likes

Yes Ebay Global shipping charges the buyer higher shipping costs (Ebay has to take their cut). IMyComicShop uses their own shipping to Canada and it’s MUCH cheaper, it’s like $16 to ship a CGC slab which is reasonable. Global shipping for a slab varies from $35-$79 to Canada.

Love eBay Global Shipping

1 Like

I rarely ship out of the US, but when I do, it’s EBay Global Shipping.

2 Likes

Way i see it, no reason to deny potential customers around the world from your wonderful product :rofl:. Being on east coast, its cheaper than shipping books domestically to west coast :joy:

Well ebays automatically switching all calculated shipping to the lowest price they have. You can opt out of it in the settings. I either have flat rate or free shipping.

1 Like

So here’s a new one I’ve been observing on Ebay.
We all know how hot Dave Stevens covers are.

So the new used car salesman pitch in the Title field is “Dave Stevens back cover” on any rando dumb comic.
Snake oil at its finest
:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Good lord - what will one do to eek out that last penny from an unsuspecting victim

2 Likes

My brother was showing me the other day some seller was selling “High quality air breathed by Beyonce” sold in a jar :joy:

1 Like

Don’t know if its true but i typically don’t do free shipping. The fear is if its free shipping (even if you build it into the price), the buyer psychologically feels its free and is more inclined to start a return if for any reason they are unhappy with the product or simply buyers remorse. By charging even a slight amount in shipping i feel they have more skin in the game.

1 Like

If you do offer free shipping you have to work it into the price, obviously. But it also cuts off a rating on the shipping price. One less thing to be dinged on.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I suppose I’m just as guilty of being a snake oil salesman.
Although I would not list anything as “Dave Stevens back cover”; I do sell CGC comics.

2 Likes

Here’s a “strange” message I received this morning about an auction I have running. First time in probably 15 years.
“Hi - do you take postal money orders”.

I feel like it’s 1999 all over again :man_shrugging:

2 Likes