Fantastic Four movie

Nice. Now Fartman will be officially part of MCU continuity.

2 Likes

I think he’s bsing, but if if its true he’s most likely involved, no way he’s playing doom tho

1 Like

release date November 8, 2024

2 Likes

Director locked before D23…

which means…cast announcement at D23…

2 Likes
1 Like

Just an honest question to spark some discussion… can the Fantastic Four ever be cool again? Everything from the team name to the dynamics is so 1960’s and dated. Here’s the team. Smart guy who comes up with the plans. Hot head young guy to show off and conflict with older gruff guy. Woman character who helps hold them all together. At their most dire moments, when all seems lost, big strong guy yells out “it’s clobbering time!” to get readers/viewers excited. Snore. I realize the comic was very original and ground breaking at the time, and had some classic stories over the years in its first couple of decades, but in today’s age…… it all seems so overdone (even though it was the original in a way). I don’t know. I just am not interested in sitting through another origin movie of a team from a bygone era. I guess if Galactus is more than a cloud, that’s a win.

I am wondering as well, and very curious to see what the MCU FF will be like. I have faith. There is so much potential. And, Marvel Studios have repeatedly gotten me to enjoy characters I never cared about. (Except for Eternals, that didn’t work for me. Haha.)

The only thing I can say is it all comes down to writing. Good art helps too but a really good writer can move past clichés, cash grabs and novelties and bring in strong story and character arcs. A really good writer can bring out the best and worst in a character making the reader truly invested in what happens next. So, yeah, I think they can be good but if the premise has gotten a bit stale with the Fantastic Four it will just need some high-end talent that really knows what they are doing when it comes to storytelling and story progression to lure readers back to them and keep them there.

2 Likes

With the right writers. In the more recent 2 in 1 by Zdarsky, Ben and Torch were great. Also, with FF I think it was always more about the villains. The 60s FF introduced some of the greatest characters to Marvel, not to mention interesting villains.

1 Like

I imagine Marvel will throw in Spidey and She-Hulk to drum up interest and ticket sales.

1 Like

If James Gunn directed the movie it would probably be a fantastic film.

4 Likes

Yeah, he has a way of keeping the comic book feel and more often than not placing humor in the right spot.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest I have never thought the Fantastic Four were cool in any way and always saw them as corny and lame, but I do understand their importance to comic books and think they deff deserve a really good movie

Early on when I first started collecting and you could get low grade non key very early FF comics in bins for under $5 I still didn’t care that much for the group as a whole. I always thought Kirby overall did his best cover art for the Fantastic Four issues he did compared to other titles.

1 Like

Hickman’s FF is probably the most important FF run in recent years, and they were pretty important to the Secret Wars event. I’m willing to bet that will be the case with the film as well.

Also, I’ll admit that I’m not a big fan of FF but people seriously sleep on Sue Storm. She may just be the most powerful woman in comics or at least of the most powerful. What she can do with forcefields is unreal.

Have the, “Fantastic Four,” movie take place in a different universe where they existed in the 1960s and were cool for the time. Then, an incursion dumps them in the modern-day MCU. They have to adjust to everything, something like that might work. I’ve never been a big, “Fantastic Four,” comic reader except when certain writers I enjoy did the title (as @BatmanFan observes, Hickman did a quality job). I like a lot of supporting cast of the FF, but they are dull themselves. Galactus is neat, Skrulls, Silver Surfer, all that. The FF themselves…meh.

1 Like

I would crack up if they made Tom Holland wear a paper bag on his head and be the Bombastic Bag-Man for a scene.

2 Likes

This may be difficulty to articulate via prose but I’ll try…
I think the reason all of the films and attempts at portraying them fail is because we can never get to the roots of “who” they are. I love them, because they are really just a regular group of family/close friends that are thrown into a crazy/tough situation that tests them on a very personal level.
In the comics, they were able to develop this, in the films it is nearly impossible.

I love “The Thing”. I love him because he is the classic softie behind the tough guy exterior. The brother that would do anything for you even though he says time and time again “I hate you”. One of the greatest comics of all times is the “man/monster” issue. So many other classic stories that involve him as well.

I understand the point above that they are all contrived “stereotypes”, but in a way, every family has those same stereotypes if you look hard enough. The thinker, the lover, the brawler, the mediator, etc. Archetype characters that have been with us since the advent of story-telling.

I think to properly do the FF justice, you have to develop and create that very foundational background/emotional/personality type stuff. The problem is that sort of development would take such a long time and is a bit boring if we are talking a film. I think the best way to handle the FF would be a series/introduction of the characters in another film/show, slow burn introduction type of situation. Then you can create that buy in/love the of actual characters which only makes them all the more interesting once they end up with powers.

I agree with the point about Gunn handling them. I think comedy works well with them. Again, back to just being a group of friends and family…they need/we need to see the joking/humor and regular interactions among them even though they are super-heroes.

2 Likes

In the words of @Anthony , “I have this book.”

1 Like