Fantastic Four movie

Yeah, he has a way of keeping the comic book feel and more often than not placing humor in the right spot.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be honest I have never thought the Fantastic Four were cool in any way and always saw them as corny and lame, but I do understand their importance to comic books and think they deff deserve a really good movie

Early on when I first started collecting and you could get low grade non key very early FF comics in bins for under $5 I still didnā€™t care that much for the group as a whole. I always thought Kirby overall did his best cover art for the Fantastic Four issues he did compared to other titles.

1 Like

Hickmanā€™s FF is probably the most important FF run in recent years, and they were pretty important to the Secret Wars event. Iā€™m willing to bet that will be the case with the film as well.

Also, Iā€™ll admit that Iā€™m not a big fan of FF but people seriously sleep on Sue Storm. She may just be the most powerful woman in comics or at least of the most powerful. What she can do with forcefields is unreal.

Have the, ā€œFantastic Four,ā€ movie take place in a different universe where they existed in the 1960s and were cool for the time. Then, an incursion dumps them in the modern-day MCU. They have to adjust to everything, something like that might work. Iā€™ve never been a big, ā€œFantastic Four,ā€ comic reader except when certain writers I enjoy did the title (as @BatmanFan observes, Hickman did a quality job). I like a lot of supporting cast of the FF, but they are dull themselves. Galactus is neat, Skrulls, Silver Surfer, all that. The FF themselvesā€¦meh.

1 Like

I would crack up if they made Tom Holland wear a paper bag on his head and be the Bombastic Bag-Man for a scene.

2 Likes

This may be difficulty to articulate via prose but Iā€™ll tryā€¦
I think the reason all of the films and attempts at portraying them fail is because we can never get to the roots of ā€œwhoā€ they are. I love them, because they are really just a regular group of family/close friends that are thrown into a crazy/tough situation that tests them on a very personal level.
In the comics, they were able to develop this, in the films it is nearly impossible.

I love ā€œThe Thingā€. I love him because he is the classic softie behind the tough guy exterior. The brother that would do anything for you even though he says time and time again ā€œI hate youā€. One of the greatest comics of all times is the ā€œman/monsterā€ issue. So many other classic stories that involve him as well.

I understand the point above that they are all contrived ā€œstereotypesā€, but in a way, every family has those same stereotypes if you look hard enough. The thinker, the lover, the brawler, the mediator, etc. Archetype characters that have been with us since the advent of story-telling.

I think to properly do the FF justice, you have to develop and create that very foundational background/emotional/personality type stuff. The problem is that sort of development would take such a long time and is a bit boring if we are talking a film. I think the best way to handle the FF would be a series/introduction of the characters in another film/show, slow burn introduction type of situation. Then you can create that buy in/love the of actual characters which only makes them all the more interesting once they end up with powers.

I agree with the point about Gunn handling them. I think comedy works well with them. Again, back to just being a group of friends and familyā€¦they need/we need to see the joking/humor and regular interactions among them even though they are super-heroes.

2 Likes

In the words of @Anthony , ā€œI have this book.ā€

1 Like

Interesting take Devildog. I am not sure comedy is the answer for making comic books into movies more appealing.

My simple two cents, is that FF was created in a time that it was appropriate for. If Venom had been rolled out in the 60ā€™s, as an example, I donā€™t think an anti-hero would have worked. They wanted bad vs good.

As much as we would not like to admit, some of our beloved comics and heroes probably have an expiration to them. How many more stories can we keep telling about the same character? That is where the comic business has come up with this nonsense of re-imagining a character, changing the color, sex, costume, location. My take is that independents are becoming more popular because there are people that are tired of the recasting and rebranding.

FF, and other titles to be fair, may be more popular if they were just shelved for a while. Like a good wine, and wait for an appropriate time, not trying to MAKE an appropriate time.

3 Likes

Your analysis brings to mind the Lost in Space series on Netflix and I agree a series for the FF maybe be a better approach.

Ha. I have this book.

1 Like

If true, Iā€™m not watching. Cant stand the guy.

2 Likes

Not a fan either.

2 Likes

Heā€™s alright. I like him in that movie with Daniel Radcliff where he yells, ā€œI just had sex and Iā€™m about to eat pizza!ā€

Mr Fantastic with a Light Saber ā€¦ itā€™s coming to life in my headā€¦ I can see itā€¦ almost thereā€¦ ahhhhā€¦ yea, not happening

1 Like

Yā€™all complain too much

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ I agree. Iā€™m not his biggest fan either but gotta wait and see first. Heā€™s like Ben Affleckā€¦ I donā€™t like the guy in 90% of the movies heā€™s in but every so often Iā€™m surprisedā€¦ but I always wait until I see it first hand.

Not a fan of horseface, either.

2 Likes

I canā€™t wait for them to finally announce the cast so i can stop seeing endless speculation and fan casting about it

2 Likes

He will be Doctor Doom since everyone already hates him

6 Likes