FAR SECTOR #1 discussion group

**I copied/pasted my comments from the main CHU FORUM so people can discuss freely here as well… **

Really glad I pre-ordered 5 copies of cover A (CAMPBELL) FAR SECTOR #1. I called this book during previews. I don’t care for LANTERNS much whatsoever, however, I do care about local artist phenom JAMAL CAMPBELL obviously from NAOMI. I haven’t heard of JEMISIN myself, a friend who read FIFTH SEASON said heads up amazing writer… When I saw HUGO and NEBULA award winner I knew all the pieces were in place… So here we are.

I was very agressive this morning, let’s just say I have plenty of copies of all covers in addition to my 5 pre-orders. I know when to go hard which I did. The shops around me didn’t order many copies. This book was somewhat overlooked. It’s a lower print run, I’m guessing under 35k but I’m tempted to say high 20k, very similar to NAOMI. Last night it was a solid $17 book with full sets of 3 for $35. Even with undercutting it’s a $12-15 book and rising as I write this…

I just read the book. Solid first appearances, excellent story, amazing art. This book has it all for me. I can’t help but to compare it to NAOMI… This book is way hotter out of the gate, NAOMI took weeks to catch on. DIAMOND sold out of FS #1 already this morning. MIDTOWN only has a few (1 per customer) left available they won’t last… All variants sold out last week day of release pre-orders… There’s no copies left in my area. SOLD OUT. I guarantee a second printing, probably multiple printings when this is all said and done…

Lastly, there has been many complaints about the cover A print run. I have conferred with numerous colleagues in Chicago, New York, Vancouver, Los Angeles and of course here in Toronto… It’s a poor run. Bottom left has staples that aren’t well centered to the spine causing a twist, top corners are beat up, with a small suction cup print on the bottom right as they came off the press hard causing a crease. Look closely in the light on an angle… Those who aren’t finding that problem are seeing rough bottom corner spines. It’s a poor run and I believe high grade will be VHTF in 9.8… The B/C cover variants are minty, no worries there.

All these indicators are huge. My speculation spidey senses are going nuts over this book… How are you guys finding the condition of your copies? Anyone find some minty 9.8s out there?? Sorry for the novel it’s just exciting to have some real solid spec as we all know it’s been quiet. Be well everyone, good luck… :v:

My copy had a blunt lower left corner and a spine tick between the staples. Other then that the spine looked good

1 Like

I actually picked up Far Sector Cvr A today, my shop went heavy, plenty of all 3 covers available. Most from what I could tell had decent spines, no creases or dings, etc.

1 Like

That’s good to hear, you may need to grab more copies if they’re high grade POYO… Sounds like your LCS was all over it. You’re the only person I’ve heard that from so far…

It was their pick of the week.

It was my first time to the shop on a Wednesday morning and everything else was kind of meh… they use to get way more variants and indie books, they’ve scaled back. Maybe they got a Green Lantern fan doing orders :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the whole LANTERN thing has turned off quite a few fans over the last while, perhaps it got a bit stagnant? That’s my only guess why this series seemed underordered at most LCS. Fortunately for LANTERN fans this is it, you must of had one of those guys looking after you at your LCS POYO! I hope you enjoy reading it, I find CAMPBELL’S art amazing. He’s a fellow local canuck so you can’t blame me for giving him a shout out.:maple_leaf: Let me know what you think…

I like Campbell’s art as well, that’s a major reason why this was my pick for DC this week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just went out and got a copy of all three covers. There were still a few left of the main cover A. All bottom left corners seemed dinged on cover A. Thanks for the heads up. Hope it’s a good book to hold on to.

1 Like

Good score! So far so good… Sets are going for $30-35 right now. Easily pays for your gas to your LCS… Once the undercutting stabilizes we’ll know more about individual cover prices… It’s a very hot book though, tons of sales triple cover or higher already. Can’t wait for comichron to release print numbers… If it’s as low as I think it is this book is a solid hold for me… It has all the good indicators for a successful speculation. Be well.

I absolutely agree with you and am a fan of the book.
Having said that, I do think there was a bit more hype/heads up on this one even prior to FOC. My shop also ordered pretty heavily. Campbells art combined with the very clear heads up of a new Lantern (along with people wanting to not miss out on a possible next Naomi situation) created some buzz for those paying attention. There are always those late to the game and hence the rising prices etc.
I would absolutely bet the print run will be significantly higher than what it was for Naomi.
Not raining on the parade in any way though. Love the book/art, etc. Grabbed multiples myself.

1 Like

Yup, remember folks… print runs don’t make books valuable… demand does! Print runs only matter if the supply is low and the demand is high and even then, you have to factor in it’s not just print run size it’s just the available number on the market for sale that determine the value if there’s demand.

Buy what you like and don’t look back!

I think I have enough copies …

1 Like

I’d say so…nice!! Go big or stay home as they say!

2 Likes

I hope this hype carries over to Collapser. Also a new character from the same line.

1 Like

I may be wrong, and I have been before, but I don’t see any long term potential for this book … I had 7 copies of each cover left after pull and holds yesterday, today a guy came in and offered me $3.50 a pop and I took it …

Just another Flavor of the Week, IMO … shrug …

My order on these was pretty clean … 9.6 - 9.8 … the book should not have been a surprise to any Retailer … Cover A is still in stock … Diamond Solicitation cut and paste ::

"N.K. Jemisin, the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Broken Earth and Inheritance science fiction trilogies, makes her comic book debut with bestselling Naomi artist Jamal Campbell as they thrust you into a stunning sci-fi murder mystery on the other side of the universe!

For the past six months, newly chosen Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein has been protecting the City Enduring, a massive metropolis of 20 billion people. The city has maintained peace for over 500 years by stripping its citizens of their ability to feel. As a result, violent crime is virtually unheard of, and murder is nonexistent.

But that’s all about to change in this new maxiseries that gives a DC Young Animal spin to the legacy of the Green Lanterns! "

1 Like

The print run of NAOMI #1 was 25,252 over 2 covers, I have a stack of those as well… This being a YOUNG ANIMALS line book over three covers?? I’m really feeling what you’re saying, you have a solid point, and I could be wrong. But I’m still sticking to my original guess of 35k… What’s your guess? I’ll let you know who had the best guess when numbers drop in a few months?? It’ll be fun! Anyone else have a good guess about the print run for this book?? If so what are the factors for your reasoning? Just curious… I can talk print runs all day people… :alien:

Hi POYO, you should be happy about this, cover A (CAMPBELL) seems to be the winner so far… (Cue SNIPES!)
I don’t think there’s much question about demand right now… There’s so many sold listings it’s a hot book. Sold out diamond probably headed to 2nd print shortly. (Cue DC!)
Longterm nobody knows, you’re absolutely correct supply/demand. Personally I like the story, I think she’s gonna be around awhile… DC has another hit here IMO. As you say, buy what you like… :+1:

How much preordered versus how much plundered?? Either way very impressive, your copies look clean… :eyes:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes