Foil, holo, glow-in-the-dark covers... your thoughts?

cool book, i forgot about that one!

Hill I will die on: this is the single greatest holo/foil/gimmick cover of all time. I bought two copies off the shelf in 1992 and just basked in the glow of perfection. I see these in a dollar bin and I curse the unknown names of those who would relegate such beauty to the trash heap.

Beholdā€¦

6 Likes

wonder when chromium covers will come back, really want a chromium AF15 facsimile.

on an another note, when will marvel put out the foil AF15 facs?

1 Like

You gotta wonder what goes into the decision making process.

Like what is holding DC back from putting out detective 168?

Whatā€™s holding marvel back from putting out ASM 14, or Spotlight 5?

And then some of the ones we get (X-men #1, 1991) leave you scratching your headā€¦

1 Like

double whammy
dont forget the coupon

1 Like

I see dc is bringing back lenticular covers ā€¦again

WHY?

1 Like

Itā€™s lame and just laughable how so many stores cant sell/make money on store variants for new books nowadays, that they have to REPRINT an old book and put a shiny foil cover on itā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not aware of any of those.

What I do see nearly all have abandoned the whole 3000 print with 1000 virgin model ($15/$30), and are going right to ā€œlimited to 500ā€ model and asking $40. Obviously they were getting stuck with 1000s of copies sitting in the store or warehouse each variant they put out there.

2 Likes

except unknown seems to triple the selection

I have that one comic where thereā€™s a faux-bullet hole through the center. I forget the exact seriesā€”Protectors?

Die-cut covers are making a comebackā€¦

2023 Annual Foil exclusives.

nope

3 Likes

Yeah, not impressed.

Those bastards.

2 Likes

Comic Mint & Unknown comics - still my 1a & 1b retailers in the world.
Gosh I love them. Love their products. Love everything about them.
Iā€™ll make sure I go visit their booth next week.
The rhinestones of the comic world - yea baby.

1 Like

Itā€™s just getting worse.

3 Likes

I beg to differ! Though that is a great one as well.

2 Likes

I have both.

1 Like

I think the only comic I see more often than these 2, is Brigade and that white polybag superman rebirth issue.
Not long ago went to a garage sale and there were literally close to 100 of them just sitting in a box for $0.25 each. I couldnā€™t get myself to purchase them. Just couldnā€™t. It couldnā€™t shake that it was like finding sand at a beach.

2 Likes

But, sparkly sand! I mostly love the book and the Ghost Rider book because they were a big deal when I was a kid collecting. Nostalgia. They donā€™t have a whole lot of value outside of that. GR still has some resale value, I guess.

3 Likes