Gunslinger Spawn #7-Help

Yes maybe this will also achieve cover price flips on the secondary market like Plague Spawn.

1 Like

Yet his book is still, pretty much, the only books you can get for $2.99. Not exactly ‘milking’ anything when his goal is to keep his book as cheap as possible for you, the reader. :beers:

I added 5 of each cover. Spawn sells in the aftermarket.

1 Like

BsD0g7lIAAA3xjI

Look at prices on many of the Spawn issues just from #301 upwards (especially #306 of course-1st Raptor)
Spawn gets a bad wrap but it consistently sells and consistently yields very good returns.

With all the new titles, and all these covers, just like always, collectors will seek them out and folks who stocked up will profit from it.

4 Likes

Cover C sold out at TFAW and and only a few listings on Ebay–none shipping from the States. Somebody bought a lot of these. I guess.

1 Like

What happens when all the Spawn fanboys from the 90s start to die off though? I think it’s mostly just fanboys and speculators because we all know a fraction actually read it, especially when McFarlane is writing. My goodness, the narrative in #7 when I was just grabbing the snippets for the spoilers are just horrendous. It’s like a 8 year old is writing…

2 Likes

Your very clear disdain for the title and McFarlane (which you have made known) is really sort of showing on this one (and I’m not usually the one who calls you out for it).

So if a fan of Spawn is a “fanboy” that would make a fan of any other title a what? Not understanding that reference. Yes, I’m male and have been a long term fan of Spawn, but I’m unsure of just how that would distinguish me as a “fanboy”? Is a “fanboy” simply another term then for “fan” and if that is the case, then yes…the majority of people buying Spawn are “fans and speculators”. What other types of fans are there?

There are many, many fans of comic books who care very little for the story within a comic. I don’t need to explain what a comic book is to you of course, but if we were all simply collecting for the narrative than we could have just stuck to the many works of fiction and ignored comics together.
When most of us post about books, heat, why we think a book should be focused upon, is it generally because the story looks great? or is it because of the cover or the artwork?

How many times have I heard the "yeah, I like the comic but the art sucks? Tons. The ideal combination is a great story with great art, but it really isn’t all that often you get both (but that is certainly in the eye of the beholder).

There are some pretty horribly written comics found in all genres throughout all the years. Will those books become worthless when the “fanboys and speculators” of those generations die out?

Spawn is all about the art, character design, and covers. I’d argue it always has been. The writing may suck, but you’d be extremely hard pressed to find an ongoing title with as many creative, well drawn covers and interiors as what it has had.

As just one other aside, I’d also argue from my experiences amidst both horror and tattoo conventions/shows that Spawn has a very large following among both genres and in many cases they care little about comic books as a whole but love the art form, designs, and colors.

If you are indeed correct though, and all these Spawn issues become worthless once the fanboys from the 90’s die out…you’ve still got a very nice window of time to make some money selling and collecting them. The 10 year olds who rode their bikes to the comic shop in 1992 to buy Spawn #1 should have a pretty decent amount of life left in them.

3 Likes

I’m particularly saying fanboy as those who are likely in their late 30s or 40s who were around when Spawn first arrived on the comic scene. Honestly, I just don’t see the younger crowds gunning after Spawn. I don’t even think my own 16 year old knows who Spawn is and he’s been around me and comics his entire life.

I’m not saying being a fanboy is a bad thing, I’m just referencing them as people around my age that likely bought the first issue off the spinner racks and have held onto the appreciation of the character for 30+ years.

As for me, I lost interest really quickly long ago. It was the writing. I just find the overall character boring, overdone and think it should have ended long ago. I think shorter volumes and story arcs would have done the character more justice over the past few decades without McFarlane on his actual creation.

It’s like a good television show, the longer it runs, the more distasteful it becomes. It’s just dragging it out and you lose more viewers than gain I think. Great shows tell a story and then end, the same should be for a lot of comics, especially the independent ones. This is likely a new reason why we get so many reboots from Marvel. They know on a marketing standpoint that new #1’s draw in those who might of fallen off, picking up the ongoing titles.

And honestly, yes, I think McFarlane does an injustice to the character when he’s writing. He should just stop writing. It does Spawn an injustice. The only reason this is still ongoing is A) McFarlane is pretty much paying out of pocket to keep it alive and B) He’s a head honcho over at Image.

I guess for me, it’s just beating the dead horse at this point, issue after issue with this one. End it, come out with mini-series with great writing (don’t let McFarlane write, maybe do a variant cover cause there’s much better artists out there now) and great art and then maybe, it could revive Spawn in my opinion.

Maybe I’m hard on McFarlane cause I expect better from a man who’s probably made the most money from any other comic creator in the history of comic writing. His work is sub par in comparison to most creators these days.

Buy what you like though. If you buy Spawn for the cover art and character, great. For me, an ongoing title like this they should focus on the story, especially since McFarlane is dying to do another movie that it seems no studio will touch cause they know it’s likely DOA and they’ll lose more money than make. The original appeal flew out the window long ago and Spawn is niche, within the comic community.

1 Like

Poyo has ruffled the feathers of the Spawn fanbo…I mean fans. Yall can’t attack McFarlane and certainly not Spawn man :laughing:

2 Likes

I can care less about McFarlane, never met him, never gotten his signature (I do own one Spawn book signed by him). I absolutely understand the points that are made about his writing and I do fully understand what you are saying.

My entire angle is one of collecting relative to art (which of course is subjective) and investment.

Take the entirety of the Spawn comic run starting from 1992 and look at the values of the issues. It is absolutely insane. It’s also not just an issue of “yeah, on paper that looks good”. Spawn sells…Whatnot sales devoted to just Spawn=insane, ebay sales, convention sales. It’s just really easy money and I guess that was my point. I think everyone on this forum bought up #306 in mass and that was just two years ago…Look at the prices on that book!!!

That’s all I’m saying, maybe there will come a day I can use Spawn as toilet paper…but it sure isn’t today, and, in my opinion, won’t be anytime soon.

I guess in the end though, don’t let my opinion get in the way of what you like. It’s just my opinion on Spawn and McFarlane. If it bothers you or anyone, then well, I’m sorry you feel that way! :slight_smile:

I’m not scared to point out McFarlane’s faults and blunders while it seems so many are quick to defend, which I think a lot are only doing it out of bias. I try to be fair myself and am loyal to no one, give credit where due, etc. Even Kirkman who got me back into comics is now on my shit list of horrible writers who puts out sub par work.

As I wrote above, my defense and points really have nothing to do with McFarlane, it’s simply that I think history, sales, and pure data show that Spawn is a pretty sound investment when it comes to comic books. Nothing is guaranteed, but there are very few titles, that can even compete with the return on investment of Spawn.

I have zero issue with folks hating on the book, McFarlane, the writing. Hell, I personally haven’t read the book or any of these new titles (but buy them all).

Buy low, sell high is always the game. I do think after it got to #300 it renewed interest with old and new collectors, it was also around the time COVID was coming around with original comic collectors coming back around (COVID brought back a lot of old hobbies out of some which I think helped contribute to renewed interests).

Too many factors involved for sure to really nail down how the market truly works with demand. eBay is filled with random eBay IDs that tell us nothing about the true motives of why people buy what they buy.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

1 Like

Its not ‘ruffling feathers’. Its just old at this point. Ive literally watched Poyo go out of his way,everytime McFarlane is mentioned, to rant the same stuff about how McFarlane sucks. Poyo goes on about how he stopped reading Spawn decades ago, but then proceeds to tell us that the book would
be better if ‘this or that’ happened, and that it should of ended decades ago. Thats a bold assumption given that he hasn’t bought, or read, the books in decades. Poyos unjustified hate for all things McFarlane is steeped in jealously, imo. A jealous artist. :beers:

1 Like

I gotcha. Remember, a lot of Spawn books for quite a while are also hard to come by as well. With old and new fans seeking out issues, this is simply supply vs demand. I still think Spawn is a small niche character. So finding all those issues from the early 2000s and such where the print runs were much lower (Image on any other title likely would have canceled the series like they do now), drives prices up for sure when you got people seeking them out.

Jealously… haha, that’s just absurd. I’m jealous of no one on planet earth. The same could be said every time you speak of Cates. Geez, get over yourself since you try to attack me every chance you get due to your own bias over McFarlane.

I’ve actually gone back and tried to read more Spawn, which I’ve clearly mentioned many times on this site. My opinion is just as valid as any other.

1 Like

That’s a bold assumption saying I haven’t actually.

I actually have pretty much every copy digitally owned, as I own the digital omnibuses and get most copies as review copies now (clearly since I released the spoilers ahead of release). So make sure you know what you’re talking about before speaking next time, you don’t know me, what I buy, read, etc.

When I say I haven’t read Spawn or lost interest decades ago, that means I’m not actively reading it or closely following the story. I’ve gone back to read at times, I skim and I’ve given later issues second chances quickly to know I’m just wasting my time and energy.

So yeah, I’ve read enough to know when to criticize with I think valid opinion.

I started read Spawn in the 290’s. Great comic. Gunslinger Spawn is better and one of my top 3 right now. I have been reading comics for 45 years so I know a thing or two about good writing and artwork.

2 Likes