HEADS UP - STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #1 Homaging Clone Wars #1

Alright you can all call me a hypocrite now. I did buy this exclusive, but recently sold one of the variants preorder for a little more than the buy in price making my copy super cheap/free :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

I hope they don’t “find” some additional stock in the back of the warehouse before you deliver your buyer that preorder.

1 Like

I sincerely hope so too. My goal wasn’t necessarily to make a profit with the other variant just to eat up most of the cost for my own copy to keep, which is why I didn’t list at a ludicrous $150-200 price point.

I’m a hypocrite to
I’m now in your club. I just see very big things for the High Republic and “if” all promises are kept with this variant than it should be a good one down the road. My goal is to keep the one I like best and sell the other to pretty much pay for the pc copy
I’m pretty sure there will be a scarlet letter emoji made just for us
to be put next to our CHU display names for internet eternity.

1 Like

It may very well be they do exactly what they say they do, in which case good for them, and next time they have a variant that I like the art for I’ll probably bite.

But I don’t want to be the guinea pig on a new Star Wars comic exclusives-only retailer that looks like they put their site together in an hour using an old version of Dreamweaver, popped up RIGHT when the hottest new Star Wars series came up for order (and never even did something like try to build up social media presence prior to launch or talk about any previous series), and doesn’t have any sort of record or transparency in terms of who’s running it.

The fact it first appeared in a spec group post and not somewhere like a Star Wars fansite or community also makes me feel like their audience is spec fans who think they can make money off of Star Wars, not Star Wars fans.

6 Likes

I hear ya
Definitely a bit of a risk. I do like to roll the dice sometimes. I really do like the cover too so that helps
Not sure if it helps $80 worth but we will see.

I agree it was definitely suspect, but with a pre-order sold I feel alot better now - even if the variant never catches white fire I like it personally for my PC. And worse comes to worse, I used PayPal and PayPal is easy with refunds.

That’s red flags for me. If all you got for company information is an “email address” for the contact info and your domain registration is “anonymous”
 nope, nope, nope
 not gonna just give you money. You gotta make yourself look more legit as an online retailer selling things. When things go wrong and all you got is an email address, just turns into a freaking nightmare. So to avoid nightmares, I don’t even bother doing business with such places/people.

2 Likes

Somebody hit this on the nose, me thinks. You’ll get your copies, but that rogue ‘exclusive’ website is a big red flag for me. Check to see how many of the 1:25 or 1:50 variants they have in stock. If the have more than 24x 1:50s, then that would lead me to suspect that they bought/ordered more than 600 copies (1200/50=24).

Edit:. I just checked and they are not selling the ratios individually, but, I noticed they included a 1:25 in one set. If they ordered 1200 books (600 each cover), then they qualified for 48x 1:25s. If they sold more than 48 ‘sets’ that included the 1:25, then you know they ordered more than 1200 copies of the store variant. I don’t have their sales numbers in front of me, but I highly suspect they had more than 48 sets of this book.

2 Likes

Click more links leads to them claiming they’re planning to fulfill damaged books first and then the rest will be destroyed and or piece of the cover cut off to be donated as “reader” copies
 So we all know they got way more than 600 each coming their way.

Just seems sketchy, why destroy a perfectly good book? Just sell it. Trying to say there’s only 600 copies to make it more “exclusive” is not completely honest since there will be another thousand or more “reader” copies out there
 (that’s if they are true to their words), albeit they won’t be minty fresh but it’s still counts as a copy out in the wild.

I’ll believe their bullshit story when they post a video of them, whoever the anonymous moderator is, destroying 400 copies of the virgin and 2400 copies of the trade dress, at a minimum. Does anyone believe that they would be willing to cut a piece out of 2800 books? How long would that take?
They are claiming that they are willing to throw away over $5000 dollars of their initial investment in order to charge you more for the remainder of their stock. That is the most ridiculous business plan I have ever heard of. Don’t. Trust. For. One. Second.

1 Like

If it’s really the CBSI guys like some are saying, I’m willing to bet most that went in on this will be selling their copies on the bay! But yes, saying you’re destroying books after returns or damaged solds are fulfilled is a crock of shit

1 Like

The CBSI guys promoted this book at the beginning of this week’s Top 10 video on their Tales for the Flipside channel. Also gave away a set.

So it’s probably them for sure then
 So if they have 600 of each for sale but gave away a set, that means they already lied as there are at least 601 sets out in the wild
 :wink:

1 Like

I got no horse in the race here and I don’t plan on ordering these. That being said, they do admit they are a part of this Comic Book Exclusive company or group:

I can understand the skepticism on their approach, but I’m going to reserve judgement until this plays out. UNLESS these guys have a track record of untrustworthy dealings and pumps and dumps. If that’s the case, tell me what I’m missing.

OK, the TFAW accusations are ridiculous, but I would hope it’s a small minority of them. I don’t know, maybe I’m naive here.

I just can’t trust a group that has to buy 3000 minimum copies of a book say they’re just gonna flat out destroy the other copies to limit them to 600 each.

If they prove it by recording the destruction, perhaps showing them count out each issue to throw in the pile, then they’ll get full credit to claim their book is limited to 600 each (trade dress and virgin)
 until then, it’s all hearsay and I won’t believe it.

Pretty sure each involved if they do destroy got their own stack to do whatever they want with.

3 Likes

Fair enough. It’s definitely a “unique” approach to making sure these issues a rare.

I was just gonna post about how there is no direct evidence it’s them and then went to their website and saw this in one of their articles. It is 100% them and they aren’t really hiding it. Written by Ben C. of CBSI.

**The Folks over at [ComicBookExclusives.com] (a new premium variant site I myself am a part of)

What’s weird though is that he writes half the article like he isn’t part of the CBE website lol

CBSI is pure pump and dump garbage. They run an autocratic site where you have to agree with them or you are ostracized or silenced.
The fact that they felt they needed to create an anonymous site to sell this book, while already having an established website, just screams ‘scam’ to me. Why would they (the CBSI guys) feel the need to hide their identity while promoting and selling the book? Why not be up front? Sketchy, imo

5 Likes

They do claim at the bottom of their site: “All of these steps will be recorded and posted to the site.”

So yeah, that video better include proof of the amount of copies they replaced but the returned books should be in the pile for destruction (since they want to truly make this limited to 600 copies each). Then I want to watch the video of them cutting off the covers, one by one up to the amount they had to order (some type of proof should be shown of the total amount they ordered) and it should equal and balance out.

TOTAL ORDERED - 1200 = X (Where X is the amount shown in the video being destroyed).

If they can’t do that, then I call “crock of shit”
 :wink:

1 Like