I Like What You Got - Autographs

Got this signed by Ennis at Baltimore comic con last year.

4 Likes

It’s always a pleasure to see Hardcover books signed on the inside.
This practice dates back hundreds of years.

It was the advent of Slabs and signing covers that became commonplace for comics (which I still hate having them signed on the cover, but understand why it’s done).

1 Like

Don’t forget the Mylar Corner guards and UV-proof glass/plastic if you really wanna keep it conserved

I’d only worry about direct sunlight. Light bulbs unless they’re HID High Intensity Discharge, like Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium. Regular bulbs will do nothing to comics.

Also what’s the point of UV Glass if it doesn’t work? If it doesn’t filter out sunlight and it only works on light bulbs that don’t produce UV light it seems pretty pointless. Unless I read your post wrong.

@ToddW is right about the UV glass. You can find UV “glass” (plastic) that is cheap and filters UV. The expensive one is the museum grade glass which is essentially UV proof. I’d only use that for something like original art. you can also get regular glass and add a UV film or coating but it’s less effective if you don’t do it the right way and/or it will not be as clear as professionally bought glass.

I still just say to get a uv protecting film and just apply it to the windows in the room for your collectibles. Much easier than trying to get custom pieces for each collectible.

1 Like

The point of UV glass is that it still blocks up to 99% UVA at certain wavelengths. Light will still degrade or fade your photo/item anyway. You will see people use the UV glass and complain that their photo/item faded, so they say the UV glass didn’t work which is incorrect. It’s best to use reproductions in frames. I only have about $1500 worth of signed items out in indoor low-light conditions with no sunlight exposure so I don’t care.

You literally just said in one post that you heard UV Glass didn’t block UVL.

3 Likes

I understand your point now. You are correct. I made a mistake.

1 Like

The best solution is to keep our comics in a dark box in a dark room and never look at them. EVER!

3 Likes

From the Superman Museum in Metropolis.

I feel privileged to have these. Every time I look at it I have a ‘wow’ moment.

They paved the way for it all.

5 Likes

You forgot… “cool and low humidity” as well…

Oh no, that storage unit in the Cayman Islands was a bad choice!

Signed bookplate by Alan Moore & Kevin O’Neill. Came with the hardcover release of LOEG: Tempest at Gosh Comics.

9 Likes

That is really nice. And I mean really nice.
It’s not like there will ever be anything further produced with these 2 noteworthy individuals.
Alan Moore - has pretty much distanced himself completely from comics
And Kevin O’Neill… well… :cry:

1 Like

Getting my backpack ready for Awesome Con in a couple weeks and these were in it.

I’ve gotten the American Vampire Omnibus since then so I’ve to get that signed next.

2 Likes

It is so refreshing to see a choice of Hardcovers and/or TPBs for autographs.
And the autographs are actually on the 1st page of the book like they’ve been for … ohhh… about 400 years or so.

That signing crap on the cover of comics still irritates me. I do it because thats what sells, but it’s just another one of those things why I dislike what the hobby has become and thus have chosen to sell sell sell the comics and hold on to the Hardcovers and TPBs

2 Likes

Anything I get signed is always for the PC. I’ve got a Woods #1 signed by Tynion, but it’s packed away somewhere in mylar.

1 Like