I Like What You Got - Autographs

Got a copy of that Pandora book. Signatures are nice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

during the last midtown sale i ordered black panther 1 (2016) 1st print in VF for $1.42 and it arrived with what looks like a signature by ta-nehisi coates on the cover! not sure how that happened or if it’s even real but what a surprise.

since it’s his first comic work and i can’t find a single sale on ebay of a comic with his signature do you think i should submit it to cbcs for verification?

4 Likes

Coates is a great writer who did a decent job with the comic. Very cool pickup.

2 Likes

If it is a book you enjoy and want in your collection, why not. For spec purpose, I’m not sure. I doubt the price of submission for grading and to authentic the signature would leave room for any profit especially if it isn’t a 9.8 candidate.

1 Like

yeah not much profitability to be had. it’s def not a 9.8 so slabbing would be for the pc and then possibly to sell waaay down the road.

1 Like

Just did a quick Ebay search for sold and current auctions.
Perhaps my search with “Ta-nehisi” is flawed, but I did not notice even one sold or current auction for a comic signed by him. (No yellow labels)

This is exactly what I look for and others do too. Autographs from big names that are not easy to find. Ta-Nehisi Coates isn’t just another artist/writer attending the next of 15 shows this year and easy to get. Not to pick on someone but does anyone know how many conventions Claremont does and has done in his lifetime? Lots and lots and lots. Not rare at all. Coates - not too many; and if he has done shows, maybe a handful of appearances?

So I’d definitely consider getting this Verified autograph by CBCS - if you’re going to sell. I personally think you’d do well, because quite frankly, I’d be watching it

2 Likes

thanks, that’s sort of what i was thinking too. it probably wouldnt have enough profitability at this time to make it worth selling because the comic is maybe an 8.0 to 9.0 and coates isn’t as much on the radar right now.
but it’s his 1st comic work, 1st print, popular character, and like you said there are no comic sales w his auto that i can find on ebay. he’s brilliant and has a long career ahead of him so this comic has potential in the future, especially if he ends up doing more comic stuff.

1 Like

Yup.
Something else…
There’s an incredible amount of wallet opening lunacy when you can state “only one on Ebay” People lose their collective minds. Do I think it’s stupid? - Yep. If you monitor other listings and it remains accurate for 7 days, is it truthful? - yep.
So why not I always say. People aren’t all that bright. I count on that.

2 Likes

I have a handful of signed pieces of ephemera, but I will try to limit this to a few of my favourites (not all comic related, so bear with me).
First 2 are ones I got signed at the 2018 Toronto Fan Expo. First is a variant of Die Kitty Die #1 signed by Dan Parent and Fernando Ruiz. Second is a variant of Stabbity Bunny #1 signed by Richard Rivera. This one has a 250 issue print run and I am a sucker for a good homage.

Next is a signed Neal Adams’ Monsters hardcover with the slipcase. Didn’t know it existed until after he died, so it was a bit more expensive than I would have liked, but I needed to have it in the collection once I saw it at a local shop.

Fourth is a signed a numbered book plate from the limited edition hardcover of Terry Moore’s Motor Girl (my favourite comic series). I am a huge Terry Moore fan. I have all his omnibus, everything of his I can get, I have.

Not sure if there are any pro wrestling fans out there (I lapsed around 2007, but still have a soft spot for the stuff I watched), but I have a signed William Regal card. Not worth a lot, but I am a huge fan of his and am happy to have it.

2 more and I’ll wrap this shit up. The penultimate signed item is my favourite book, Skin Deep, signed by the author before she died. Great autobiographical read and a treasure of mine. Not in demand, but still quite hard to find.

Finally is a CD that any metal fan should look up. The band is A Dark Halo and the album is Catalyst. Amazing album in the vein of Fear Factory. I spent, no word of a lie, 15 years hunting for this album. Turns out, one of the members is a comic fan and while doing a particularly deep dive looking for this album, I came across a post he made on an old Valiant comics forum offering the album for sale. The post was over 10 years old at that point, but had an email address attached to it. As a flier, I sent an email and received a response. They still had a couple of the albums left and I was able to score a signed copy. This is my one grail. It is my favourite thing I own.

To all of you that made it through this long winded and unnecessary post, congratulations. This is what happens when I have a couple of beers and find a topic that I feel impassioned by. Good talking to you.

6 Likes

Love those Terri Moore’s. (and the Moore Omnibus). Proud to own the limited Black SIP Omnibus, as well.

2 Likes

It’s a great thing to see on your shelf!
Side note: that Complete Paradise Too is f**king hard to find for a reasonable price. Didn’t realize it was that rare until I started looking for one.

1 Like

I’m not big into autographs but I still have a few. The newest one I added was Michael Turners on a Fathom Preview. I’ve got to send it into CBCS to get the signature verified but it looks authentic and from one of my favorite artists.

1 Like

3 Likes

had a blast at wondercon last weekend and got some cool signatures

joe quinones on cap marv 17 and marv wolfman on nova 12 (1st spiderman xover in title)

scott lobdell on xmen 6 (his 1st issue in the series) and jae lee on sandman universe

double signed by father/daughter duo jamie and audrey sullivan (audrey isn’t credited but she did the coloring)

steve leialoha on these 4 (warlock 9 his 1st work for marvel)

jenny frison on hex wives 1 and jody houser on stranger things 1 (signed and remarked)

adam hughes

4 Likes

Finally got SMG. I think I spent close to $220 total. I used ph neutral frame spacers, archival hinge tape, and archival backing.

4 Likes

I’ve heard the Buffy show was good. I just never watched it.

1 Like

I still think the first 3 seasons are great today.

1 Like

Can I stream them anywhere? If not, I can grab the DVDs at a Vstock maybe.

They are on Hulu right now, but you can usually see them for free at some point somewhere else. It’s a bit of a cheesyish series, but I have nostalgia. I use Justwatch website and app to keep track of episodes and movies so I know when they show up on my sub/free streaming services.

Got this for $23 from one of midtown’s whatnot streams a few weeks back. I love ice cream man, and with all three signatures it was a no brainer price!

4 Likes