I like what you got! (Goodwills, Thrift Stores, Yard Sales, ETC Finds)

Yep. But, that’s internal pages work. 53 is his first cover.

1 Like

Hit a big collector’s dollar garage sale. Found a few cool books. Surprised to see that Hawkeye book. Dig the New Avengers 35 and Hellbound covers.

Happy to nab Statute’s first, but that was $12. Couple tics, but the corners look strong.

5 Likes

I wish I could find comics at a garage sale. Portland has so many people who buy and flip comics as a job/hustle that if there’s ever ANYTHING hinting at comics being at a garage sale or estate sale there’s a huge crowd early. Or the people selling them are people who used to sell/flip comics and they price everything as if it’s eBay.

2 Likes

I bought a collection someone had listed on Facebook. I went on a Wednesday in late September to look at it all. They wanted about 1k but half was really new stuff worth all of a dollar individually if even that and half were notable Spidey items such as Early Miles Morales comics, the first Spider-Gwen, and so forth. I explained I just wanted all the Spidey-related stuff and some Daredevil to have and read as I enjoy Daredevil. They didn’t want to break the lot up, and I said to call if they changed their mind.

A couple of days later he was willing to do 5 out of the 9 cardboard beer boxes (he got empty beer boxes from bars he does Karaoke at as his job) for $500 overall. I went back and assembled five boxes worth from the lot on the 1st of October and took it all home. Nothing was bagged or boarded and it was very unorganized still so I got everything put in an order with a good chunk inserted into bags and boards (I didn’t put the Nick Spencer stuff in much of any bags or boards for example, but all the MIles-related stuff I did). It altogether filled three shortboxes.

Once I had everything sorted I sold a chunk of the more bulk-type stuff to a friend, sold some of the Peter Parker-related Spidey stuff to another friend who likes anything Peter Parker, and have begun selling the other items in individual listings/will be incorporated into Whatnot shows/etc. I got the first appearance of Spider-Gwen sold and Miles’s second appearance in Ultimate Comics Spider-Man sold, so those two covered everything I paid with all the rest being profit thanks to getting the collection for a lot less by skipping out on the stuff I was not after.

I honestly did not know if he and I would make a deal as he didn’t want to break stuff up at first, but it ended up working out and I’m pleased with the stuff I have to keep and the money that will be made overall. It was tedious getting a lot bagged and boarded, however. Still quite worth it.

2 Likes

Just to expand on this topic - I have been a garage sale/yard sale go-er for many years now. It’s where I’ve obtained a significant portion of my keys.
That said, the amount of available “steals” to be obtained lately (i.e. the last 3 years or so) has dried up considerably.

The books I used to obtain for 50 cents/1 dollar, say, 10 years ago would make heads spin and looking back I still can’t believe what I had obtained. This was once out of every 3 or 4 yard sales were big time hits.

These days, not so much.
Folks are aware of what they have now with the movies being firmly entrenched. No longer is it only comic fans that know the value of comics. Now it seems mostly everyone knows with the expansion and success of the movies (even if they don’t know the value; they just know there is “value”).
My hits at yard sales are now 1 out of 15/20 to the point that I’ve almost stopped bothering to even go knowing full well they know what they have now.

2 Likes

Was at a small comic show. Picked up three items:

Batman 666 was $25 and is 9.4 NM

Hulk 1 ran me $45 and is 9.4 NM

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 10 was $5 and is 7.0 FN/VF

I sold some stuff for $100 too so I left with more cash than I went in with. A good day.

10 Likes

@davidbitterbaum

For someone who has never sold at a con before, can you explain the logistics of that? Are you asking vendors if they want to buy stuff? And, do you get absolutely lowballed? Are you magically connecting with other buyers?

I’ve gone to enough local shows I know the vendors who do them pretty well. They like to buy stuff from me and I generally get a solid price considering I don’t have to ship stuff/pay website fees/etc. Certain ones like different things (some guys want newer titles, some want older, and so forth). I sold a shortbox worth of Spidey comics from my little cart that were a bit better than dollar bin material but not really worth listing online in terms of time and effort.

Edit: I realize I didn’t really answer your question. Basically, before I got to know people or if I don’t know someone I simply go up and ask if they’re buying or trading. Then I use my negotiation skills to the best of my ability and make a deal or walk away. Some vendors don’t wanna buy, some will lowball you but understand if you pass.

1 Like

A lot of vendors at the big shows have signs “BUYING COMICS”

So basically and invitation to negotiate.

I had brought a few slabs to NYCC in hopes of trading for a higher end book…but did not find any In my price range that I could use my books to negotiate. So I didn’t engage.

1 Like

Picked up a small collection of about 75 books for $50. I’ll probably keep about 30 and move the rest. I knew a couple good books were in this lot, so I figured it was worth the shot. For 65 cents per, let’s go. Here are some of them.

Venom 1 and 7 were big draws for me with this lot.

Captain Marvel 8 2nd print is nice.

Some cool Spidey Books.

Killmonger, Flash

And when I first saw this, I had a mild heart attack. But, then I saw the header.

4 Likes

Advice needed. I have a small lot of comics I may be able to buy that includes a few interesting things, but the seller is just asking for an offer. I’m curious where you think I should start that negotiation.

It’s 42 books. Most look bagged, but maybe not boarded. Hard to gauge condition from the photos.

Includes Spawn 1, 2, Hercules 1 (vol 1), Moon Knight 13 and a handful of meh $5-10 books. But, it includes a pretty cool early 1980s Daredevil run from 180-196. Death of Elektra, etc.

Thoughts on a dollar amount, considering condition could really be all over the board?

@ToddW

Without knowing condition, and if the seller isn’t knowledgeable enough in comics to describe their condition(s), I’d start at a dollar a book or just round up to $50. And if they seemed insulted, I would tell them it’s because I can’t tell the condition for sure.

3 Likes

That’s precisely where I was thinking. If that’s out of the ballpark for the seller, that’s ok. I can offer that in a way that isn’t insulting. I’d probably walk if they wanted to go much higher. From what I can see, the books look decent, but it’s just so hard to tell.

1 Like

$1 a book seems low to me but it’s a good starting point.

I scored this at Good will a week before my Father passed away. There was about 5 more Star Wars Book that I passed on because I knew I already had them.

6 Likes

I picked up a chunk of a collection, and wow was this just littered with modern keys and mini-keys and great reads. 250+ books for about 90 cents each.

35 Vader back issues

Runs of High Republic, Urban Legends, full series of Far Sector, Captain Carter, etc.

20 issues of AN Wolverine

A stack of Moon Knight vol 8

About 40 issues from Metal/BWL/White Knight

20 venom vol 4 issues

Bunch of cool indies

15 Likes

Then I hit a big ol dollar book sale and found these among others.

Best week hunting ever for me.

11 Likes

What a jackpot

“Bingpot!”