I Like What You Got! (LCS Finds)

Well, in my state, small businesses are now allowed to open, but by appointment only. My main shop announced their appointment schedule and I was able to get one of the first. Looking forward to digging and buying comics again. I’ll post my results! :slight_smile:
As I previously mentioned, any of the other shops appear to just not care enough to communicate or open with appointments. I hear so many good stories…and hear input from the obviously great stores on here in posts…but some of these stores out in the wild, seem like they can really care less if they make money or not. I just don’t get it.

Well, here is what I grabbed today from my LCS’. As I stated above, I wanted to make some bigger purchases to help out my local LCS’.

I ended up bringing home the SS3, 1st Mephisto, from my LCS. I think it was a good deal, and it’s a great book for my PC. Lots of eye appeal, imo…

Here is the missing back corner that will really ding this books grade…

I also brought home the ASM37, 1st Norman Osborne…

I paid $350 CND ($235 USD) for the pair, or $175 each. I think it will be a good investment for myself. The shop keep said there has been no restoration to either book, and if I get them graded, which I am, and they come back purple then he will compensate me. He is my main LCS and I trust his word.

I then ended up visiting another shop and grabbed these Gambit books. I paid $180 CDN ($130 USD) for the pair. I didn’t get such a good deal on these, but it was a fair price and I think these books have room to grow still.
Screenshot_20200527-200422
Both are in really nice condition. The UX266 does have a defect or two on the back that may press out somewhat, or completely.:crossed_fingers:

And lastly I found these in some long boxes of a new collection that came in. $3 each. Shout out to @Alana for the What If Wolverina book. Alana has been talking about the cheap spec value on that book for a long time…

I have some books coming back from grading in the next week or two. I will share those when they arrive. :v:

2 Likes

That SS#3 will display vwey nice! I always enjoy finding lower or mid grade books that display like they are high grade! Perfect piece for the personal collection!.. If Mephisto is ever used in the MCU you’ll be able to double what you paid at least if you decide to sell! Can’t go wrong with Gambit either. He’ll make his way to the big or small screen eventually! ASM #35…undervalued in my opinion. Good purchases!

Love the Medina Hulk book! I likely already talked about this (forgive my old man memory if so).
Angel Medina explained to me that he had an absolute nightmare of a time working with Marvel on that cover, but he really loved it and wanted it to be published. The biggest sticking point was the fact that it “initially” had a gun on the cover. After many back and forths, the ray gun was settled upon. I love his art…he is also just an amazing artist and very humble. I also once asked him…why, after doing so many amazing issues of Spawn (in my opinion some of the very best interior work) didn’t you do any covers?
He basically responded…the big guys love to have their names on covers and Capullo was doing his thing. I was just thankful to have a stint, no reason to worry about it.

That’s about what I paid for mine. Although it was an 8.0 OW Pages and a decade ago. Those Silver Surfers & Fantastic Fours have taken off in price. To the point I can’t afford the grades I want. This is the copy I used to have.

1 Like

That’s a great story about the Hulk Pulp Fiction homage, DD. Thank you for sharing that. It is a great Shulkie cover. I bought a copy for $10 at a show last year for my PC, and I was surprised to find one in the cheap bins yesterday.

Here are my pick ups from my last LCS that I had yet to visit post Covid19.

These were all $3 ($2 USD) except for Batman 656. It was $25 CDN ($16 USD).

1 Like

$2 for first Silk? Not bad!

Indeed. I was just as surprised to find it there. That copy is sharp too. It has zero flaws that I could see. It went straight into the CGC sub box.

1 Like

Hit my honey hole today. Was going back for an Heir to the Empire #1 I left behind. Found these instead.

$30 out the door. How’d I do?

Yes, that’s a Crow #3. I believe it’s a first print.

4 Likes

Well, if they didn’t have that Heir to the Empire #1 you could certainly get a nice one by flipping off most of what you bought there!

Not from a LCS but Chinese bootlegs from Wuhan my new statues.

1 Like

Those are beauties, Alana. Love me some Terminator and I absolutely love the Xenomorph. (Insert Ed McMahon ‘yes’ here)
Is the Xenomorph a mask that you can wear? :crossed_fingers:

It’s solid resin. There’s some really good masks and rubber busts and even full size rubber Queen Alien from Malaysia on Etsy

1 Like

Today’s finds.

Another reprint 1st app/1st cover heating up. Already up on eBay for the flip.

Just came across this nice Boba cover flipping through Star Wars comics. Had to have it.

The last one I needed a book to round out $10 so I could use credit card. This all white cover which looks to be 9.8 shape caught my eye, so why not?

1 Like

Nothing too mind blowing, but everything was a dollar a book. I was really happy to grab a big lot of Knights of the Republic at that price. Every book was NM as well.

2 Likes

That’s where you will find the best value, imo. Digging through those bins. Nice pick ups, DD. You could sell that WoS set and immediately double your ROI, while still holding all the other books. Like getting paid to take books home. :+1:

Yeah…there’s one shop that has so many long boxes of $1 books but I’m always in a hurry/have an agenda where I have to skip them…some day!

Today’s pickups for spec/flips.

UC Spider-Man 11 (Miles in cuffs)
Spider-men 1 (1st meeting of Parker & Miles)
PPSM 49. First full THE Virus
Daredevil 9 (Echo)
Final Crisis 7 A &B

My LCS also had like 20+ Comic Fest Miles #0 for free, so I grabbed a couple. I’ll keep grabbing Some each week if they’re still there even if they stop selling just to hand out to kids some day.

2 Likes

Very nice haul