I Like What You Got! (Show Your Newsstand Pick-ups!)

I think they are nearly identical. I store cgc/cbcs slabs together.

Btw, I think cgc does Note Canadian price variants…just not regular newsstands.

And cbcs only denotes it for certain years. Basically starting in the 80s, I think (late bronze).

1 Like

That will help offset my slight OCD. :upside_down_face: I’ll keep you updated as to what I end up doing. Great info, thx for sharing.

I have similar tendencies. I have about 20 slabbed Marvel transformers that are all 9.6 CGC except 2 issues…one being a 9.4 cgc (still looking to upgrade:to 9.6) and the other being issue #1 as a 9.6 newsstand in a cbcs slab…which I’m 95% positive would come back 9.8 if cgc were to grade it…the 9.4 could also be a 9.6 by today’s grading standards (it was an old red cgc label which I’ve heard they were much tighter grading in those days.

Of course I just sent in about 9 more issue to be graded by cbcs which will likely all come back in 9.8s and 9.4s, totally messing with my OCD!!! And I’ll just get over it at that point and be like “they’re all 10s in my mind” as they’re PC books…:grin:

But If I’m thinking I’ll sell later I always go cgc. But PC stuff I prefer cbcs.

The only dimensional difference is the cgc slabs are thicker. But if you have older cgc slabs those very much like the cbcs slabs are today thickness wise…

I think rather than send the one into cgc, you should send all your PC slabs to cbcs! :grin:

Another side note is cbcs will honor cgc yellow label/witnessed signatures when cracking/grading books… but if you sent in a cbcs witnessed signature to cgc you’ll get the green label of death.

Here’s a kicker. I just noticed the same seller who I bought that from today, now has a 9.8 CGC newsstand as a new listing, for the same price I paid. Jesus Murphy. Just my luck. Why is nothing easy. Lol. I’ve contacted him to see if I can exchange them. Idk. FML.

Are they buy-it-now? I wouldn’t see why they wouldn’t exchange if so…I would honor the request as it might give me future business and they’re likely to sell both.

You could also buy both and then decide which one you like better, then sell the one you wish to part with.

Buy the comic, not the slab, so to speak.

If it’s any consolation or comfort, I’ve found cbcs to be much more tight on their grading in recent years relative to cgc…,I’ve returned high grade cgc slabs at my own cost because I’ve been so disappointed in their conditions. I also had several comics graded last year by cgc that should have come back 9.6 that were all given 9.8 grades…and two cgc comics I had cracked, pressed and regraded by cbcs came back with lower grades…one dropped from a 6.5 cgc to a 4.5 cbcs.

That’s also why it’s cgc all the way when it’s not for the pc.

Just to expand upon this, and relate it back to the thread topic, Two books were 9.6 newsstands that had numerous spine ticks…I already had the same books in the same grade (cgc, graded years earlier) as direct editions…I was looking to replace my directs with newsstands…but when placing the books side by side It was very clear the directs had less defects and presented better. Newsstands were 9.4 at best, imo. Sent them back.

Another instance I bought another cgc 9.6 newsstand to replace a direct edition I have, and the book had a crease/fold-over at the upper right corner of the front cover…I think 1/4” x 1/4” triangular…my belief is that it likely happened after grading (terrible quality control and/or handling), but still not a 9.6 to anyone familiar with what’s allowed for folds/creases in covers. Sent it back.

Let me get your ocd discomfort going some more…have you actually looked at your cgc slabs over the years? The CGC labels and cases have undergone many evolutions in even the past 10 years…you may in fact already have slabs that are not “identical” in form, fit or function…even by the printed label standards!

It was BIN or best offer. I was thinking of straight up buying it, but ended up just messaging the seller to see if I could exchange. Woke up this morning, and the book sold in the 6 hrs that I slept. Woke up to a reply from the seller. He was willing, but no longer has it. Now, both slabs/books had the front cover slightly wrapped onto the back cover. Both books present really nice from the front, but my CBCS book has a consistent line, top to bottom. Where as the CGCs back cover was at an angle (the fold over is present at the top and tapers to nothing at the bottom). So, imo, the CBCS ‘looks’ better.

I’m aware of that, my BA12 CGC 9.6 is an old CGC slab. That doesn’t seem to bother me, as the labels are uniform, in the sense that they are all CGC.

I have also noticed some real questionable grades from CGC. Im not a big believer in the whole ‘grading’ system. But I do like having certain books encased in the slab for preservation, display and, down the road, for resale purposes.

1 Like

I’ve always had a number of issues with how CGC operates. Ranging from their vague grading definitions, Qualified Grades, as well they have the appearance at least of grading books higher because it nets them more money.

My current graded books total 26. All are CGC except for 1 CBCS. I have heard that CBCS is tougher on grading than CGC.

This is why I just keep my books raw (unless I buy a slabbed book). Grading companies should have strict standards on guidelines on how to grade books, each grader should abide by them when evaluating the books. When there are so many inconsistencies, it just proves that slabbing your books is just a very expensive opinion they’re slapping on it.

The only other reasons I usually buy a slabbed book is the protection the slabs provide along with authenticity if it’s been doctored, etc, for the older books.

It costs me approx $23 to slab a book, shipped to and fro. Not exactly ‘expensive’, especially given the benefits a slab provides for preservation and resale.

Yes, an educated opinion (fingers crossed, lol). There are no universal grading ‘laws’. But, we all know the difference between a 9.6/9.8 and a 9.0-9.2.

Do it for preservation and resale for sure… still for some, if they’re depending on the grade itself, it’s still paying for an opinion in that aspect.

I’ve heard this stated before, but both cgc and cbcs have the authority to “bump” books to a higher grading price standard depending on the FMV. CGC just has a lower threshold before they bump you to the next grading tier, as well as charging a higher rate for same day/walk through when compared to cbcs.

Quick pricing stats are below demonstrating this. I’m ignoring uppers (like pressing and screening) and TATs. This is just comparing cbcs non-member to the $150 CGC membership (where you get the $150 back as credit towards your submissions which is what most likely do if submitting to cgc at a minimum):

CBCS Modern comics 1975 and newer = $18, Max Value of $200 (before bump to next price tier)
CGC Modern comics 1975 and newer = $18, Max value of $200 (before bumping)

CBCS Expanded = $27, max value of $250
CGG Value = $24.30, max value of $200

CBCS Consumer = $34, Max value of $400
CGC Economy = $34.20, Max value of $400

CBCS Quick Stream = $58, Max value of $2000
CGC Standard = $58.50, Max Value Of $1000

CBCS Rapid = $90, Max Value of $4000
CGC Express = $90, Max Value of $3000

CBCS Same Day = 2.75% FMV, max charge of $2759
CGC Walk Through = 3.0% FMV, Max charge of $4000

Oh, BTW, if CGC splits your books up into new tiers not on your invoice they’ll charge you $5 per tier (cbcs does not). :wink:

I believe CBCS and CGC both do. I think you’re asking for more transparency in their grading methods and how they actually apply the process. Unfortunately I believe that is proprietary and therefore not disclosed to the public as it could damage their business by competitors (or potential start ups) exploiting it. Makes sense to me, anyway.

You’re basically paying for a third party to authenticate and appraise you’re book, without getting an appraisal value (market decides that after the grade is assigned). It’s really no different than an appraisal otherwise, if you think about it, which you also pay a third party to provide an opinion based on visual inspections, statistical data and algorithms…with some made up fudge factors thrown in based on their experiences.

Don’t forget about insurance and future liquidation. That’s a big deal when you have one very expensive comic or a collection that has significant value. Proof of value is key when claiming losses or trying to liquidate quickly. Eases the burden anyway.

1 Like

They’re assigning a grade though, not value to a book. Yes, it’s like an appraisal but only paying for a label with a grade. The value is determined by the market. So yes, I get it, you have a graded copy of a book so it’s likely going to bump the value for insurance claims, etc but based on current market value, which can change, daily.

The grade is the value…and they will bump your book to another tier if they determine the FMV justifies it.

Just because they don’t give you a $ value doesn’t change the fact they are appraising your book.

Most collectibles and properties can be in markets just as volatile, or they are such “niche” items they don’t have consistent or global standards by which to grade them, so a dollar “value” is all they can go off of. Also banks and mortgage companies aren’t able to keep up with the volatility so they need a $ amount in writing and give you 30 days or so in which they’ll accept the value before they make you assess it again. Comics don’t need to be appraised…but they can be…and it starts with getting a condition by a third party company like CBCS or CGC. If you wanted your book appraised for any reason, would you go through anyone else?

He stated that the appraisal came with no fixed value. The appraisal nets you a ‘certified’ grade, and in turn the grade determines the value in the market. So the appraisal grade is essentially a market value too, with the understanding that that value can change at anytime. As is with any market. This is just semantics though.

But that comes back to my first point, their grade is still just a paid opinion (yes, I know, insurance and others treat it as a formal appraisal)… :wink:

Don’t get me wrong, @agentpoyo, I like my books to be free too. But sometimes it just makes better financial sense to invest in the investment. These aren’t your grandpa’s comic books were talking about…or maybe they are…they probably are…so to speak…you know what I mean. :joy: