I Like What You Got! (Show Your Newsstand Pick-ups!)

A few of my recent purchases. The Incredible Hulks are also 35 cent price variants.

Just won these tonight. Just under $18 including Priority shipping.

Picked up these minty CPVs today at a 50% off back issue sale. Paid $6 for the lot.

Screenshot_20191218-201254

1 Like

Picked up this for $4. 2nd appearance of Monica Rambeau. 9.8 potential condition. Newsstand.

Nice cover…If she becomes a big or big-ish thing down the line I can see this one picking up.

1 Like

$7.24 including shipping. These are different from my other late marvel newsstands. In those the words written in the UPC area were always separated by the actual barcode. These Are a bit different but not different from its newsstand counterparts that were on the newsstand at the time.

1 Like

Another copy to add to the PC.

1 Like

Another copy of this to add to the PC.

1 Like

I can’t pass on certain newsstands. Some more late Marvel Newsstands.

@ToddW…a good friend of mine bought a Batman #567 newsstand today. 1st Cass Cain. I think it’s from July '99. How rare were Batman newsstands, compared to their direct counterparts, from that era? Any knowledge you have is appreciated. :v:

DC was printing newsstands up until about 2 years ago.

I found a Batman #1 (new 52) newsstand on a spinner rack at the grocery store…flipped it a year or so ago for $100.

Definitely a sweet find if in good shape.

Compared to direct editions especially post 2000, they’re hard to find in high grades. The numbers I have are somewhat disputed by some but it’ll give you a rough idea of rarity. I believe the numbers cane from ex marvel eic Jim Shooter. The other chart is what mile high goes by for pricing. Keys and Firsts can go for a lot more than that chart.

It’s not only that they we’re printed in much lower numbers but a lot sat on spinner racks which almost guarantees damage. Along with all sorts of people handling them roughly. Also unsold copies would’ve had their covers torn off and returned for a refund.

Marvel newsstands ended in 2013 and DC was 2017 or 2018. They stopped the month before Teen Titans 12 came out, First Batman who laughs.

When I was a kid back in the 80-90’s you could pick up books from every single grocery store, gas station, convenience store, drug store, department store, etc. I saw firsthand at least in my area how all those places stopped carrying them. So I agree with the numbers. although late 90’s were easier to find in my area.

I can’t be the only one buying newsstands, can I? Picked up 3 copies of Uncanny X-Men 1- First Goldballs.

I buy newsstands, mostly CPVs though, as they can be found in my area. I don’t shop online either, for the most part, so I only buy my CPV newsstands when an opportunity presents itself at one of my many LCSs. Having said that, I bought this today.

I realize it’s not a great time to be buying this book, but I have a feeling it will never be this cheap again, and I’m a fan of Illyanas. It’s strictly for my PC, and I will be submitting it to CGC to be cracked and reslabbed.

1 Like

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a CGC 9.6 and a 9.4 UX#160.

I’ve thought about collecting the CPV’s but I spend enough as it is. I do almost all of my buying on eBay. My LCS lost my business. The owners super unfriendly and can’t be bothered to say hi or yeah or anything for that matter besides grunt.

With all due respect JC, but given it’s already a 9.8 and has the “newsstand edition” recognized on the label (something cgc does not do), why would you pay the expense and risk damage during cracking out to have it in a cgc slab?

If you were going to sell it, then maybe I’d understand he logic…but cgc Slabs are notorious for ugly unsightly newton rings and the plastic has a slight tint to it which dulls the brightness of the book, while cbcs by far much clearer plastic, and no risk of Newton rings. And I’m still somewhat weary of how they seal it in not allowing the book to “breath.”…I always prefer cbcs slabs over cgc.

Please reconsider, or explain as I’m somewhat baffled by your plan for this book which I think displays beautifully and is perfect for the PC as is.

I agree. If you’re going to sell it CGC will net you more money. I haven’t compared the two in sales but I’d think any extra you’d get would be offset by the fees in getting it regraded and reslabbed. As well it could grade lower. I’d keep it as is if it were me but I’m not you, especially if it’s for the PC. I do like that they designate newsstands as well.

And tonight’s winnings.

To be honest, I’ve never purchased a CBCS slab before. All my slabs are CGC. I’ve kinda got a minor OCD about stuff, uniformity being high on that list. I did not realize that CGC still does not recognize newsstands on the labels. After reading your thoughts, @D-Rog, when the book arrives, I may just keep it as is.
Are the outside dimensions the same on CBCS slabs as they are on CGC slabs? Anyone? Bueller?

Me too. Very much so.

I can’t justify the shipping costs when buying books online, for speculation/investment purposes. I will look online for PC books though. I am lucky to have a plethora of stores all around me. There are over 12, at least, within an hours drive of my place. And they all have their pros and cons. Some owners are dicks, and I only buy books from them that I’m flipping. It’s a great sense of joy knowing you’ve walked out with, technically, more money than I went in with.
And some owners are cool. My main shop has become a nice joint for me to talk comics with the fellas. There is a group of 5 or 6 of us that run into each other at this particular shop, and we have become first name basis friends. There are a few shops that buy big collections every so often, and they use either Overstreet or CBR to price their books. This has given me some great investments. I am also in the largest Canadian market, hence the CPVs.

Be wary of the pence variants. I saw a lot of those UX160s on feeBay were pence variants. Same with the 9.6s, not sure about the 9.4s.

1 Like