I'm big on this Venom book

…but is Venom face really “black face”?

1 Like

If #19 is the first time Dylan uses his powers why does no one care about the 1:25 codex weird for a 2nd print to go for $100 and the incentive $10

2 Likes

The whole (Cates) venom thing is getting crazy! I don’t even think most people know what they are spec’n on with the title. They see an alert or chatter online over a specific issue and a craze starts. If Venom #9 2nd is getting hot then how on earth is Venom #7 2nd not getting hot as well? It’s still a $10 book. Technically that is Dylan’s first appearance (Cameo). The #7 2nd print cover is much better too.

1 Like

First time using powers is more important than just being regular old Gwen Stacy unless of course you are a mutant and born that way. I think #19 would have the most potential over #7 and #9 in the future when his character gets a name this will be his first appearance a full one at that using his powers multiple time to control symbiotes. Which I guess leads everyone to believe Dylan will be key to handling Knull.

Unless of course Knull kills Dylan or Dylan sacrifices himself to save the multiverse or something and we don’t see him until the next Marvel re-boot…in about two years. Oh boy that would piss off a lot of spec’erz!

Because it’s all about being “slab worthy” these days…meaning you want the significance of the book to be on its cover as that’s the only thing you can visually see once the book is entombed in plastic.

My opinion why all these subsequent printings are going crazy. They put the last page spoiler on the cover and BOOM!!! Instant key.

1 Like

No. It’s “Venom Face.”

I was just saying that cover art was released at an in opportune time…there was a lot of government officials and celebrities being exposed for putting on black face at some point in in their lives. It was entire coincidental.

I, for one, will not buy this cover. No matter what the profit I would make from it. I think it was poor judgement, even if not intentional. Someone should have stepped in and said “hmmm…might not be aligned with the message we want to project as a company…”

@beardedpain

Not sure what you’re saying that hasn’t already been discussed in another thread. This Page guy has some suspect activity (so I’ve heard).

But personally, I saw potential in early 2020 with this book given the story in issue 19 was a milestone in Dylan’s development (into whatever he’s going to be…probably find out starting in December) and the rave of speculator’s obsession with reprints Of “first appearance” cover art with low print runs.

So I agree with what Matt is saying About the book Having potential. The backlash that must’ve ensued is likely due to his previous suspect behavior…I don’t know as the posts apparently were removed and I’m not familiar with him. Looks like he could have handled the backlash with more grace, though.

Yeah…I feel like some of this comic spec stuff is all about “ego”. I’m not into the pissing contests relative to who may have said something or seen something first.
My ultimate goal is to get ahold of cool books cheap. I rarely sell books but there remains a great satisfaction from finding something deemed “valuable” cheap. There are far too many groups/forums/sites to follow. If I post book here it’s because I typically haven’t seen it yet or I believe it went unnoticed. I post here (and one other small group I’m in with friends who own shops) because I genuinely like you all & we seem to have the same goals. I’m not trying to win any Ricky Bobby “If you’re not first you’re last” comic spec awards.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he used his powers prior to this issue, I think this was the first time he used them on sort of his own… as the other times were indirectly used without him knowing his own power. I think in Absolute Carnage he used some powers…

This my friend is the quote of the year… :heart:

1 Like

Actually, seems like Venom #19 is still Dylan’s symbiote reacting on his behalf (when they feel threatened or in danger) and the scene on the cover of the 2nd print is the interiors when Sleeper tells Dylan he should bond with him to help Eddie, but immediately Sleeper bails, asking “what are you?” and Dylan replies with, “I don’t know”. Shortly after it’s Sleeper that Dylan tells to attack and help fight… So I fail to see where Dylan was in control of his powers over Symbiotes in this issue. He’s still sort of on the discovery confused side of things with his powers.

But this also setup that Symbiotes can’t bond with Dylan discovered in Venom #23 (it causes them pain, something learned in Venom #18) but he can kill symbiotes we learned in Absolute Carnage #5 that he feels threatened by.

The true first time ( I believe ) he learned to control the symbiotes happened in Web of Venom: The Good Son #1 when he controlled the Carnage symbiote to attack Normie.

1 Like

But don’t let this fool Matt Page tell you that the 2nd print cover is Dylan using his powers for the first time… if he actually read the fscking book, he’d know that scene on the cover is quite the opposite. Matt Page is a turd… he should actually learn to read the shit he’s pumping before pumping it…

Yes, the cover is kind of cool but it’s quite the opposite of what’s actually going on in the inside story.

Nuff said, it’s still a cover price book if you ask me.

5 Likes

People are paying a $1000 for the crappy 1:25 cover for #3 that are is not slab worthy.

His eyes turn black and the symbiotes do what he says. Sleeper even says please don’t do that to me again. I read the book and he uses his powers throughout unless he’s going to turn into a 50 ft turkey or something In the future.

I don’t know…Even with the timing I still don’t see an issue. For me it has to be a blatant attempt at racism. I mean, are we getting to the point where some kids will be allowed to paint their faces come Halloween (if we have one) and others won’t out of fear of not being politically correct? My comment is not meant to be inflammatory. I just think far too many are on edge far too often especially these days… I, like many others have been guilty of this at times so I’m not trying to preach. Just giving a written opinion on a hot button topic that may or may not be taken the right way.

When I was in elementary school there were many kids in blackface as Michael Jordan. They were trying to emulate their hero for Halloween not be racist but it doesnt matter in this day and age blackface is blackface.

3 Likes

Yeah, I do hope we can get beyond stuff like that soon.

1 Like

Agreed. Most things in life are not black and white (no pun intended). When you take any situation and look at it in black and white terms, all the while avoiding any sort of examination as to why the situation is what the situation is, then you are doing an injustice to the roots of the actual issue, if one exists. A Caucasian child wanting to paint his face/body ‘black’ in order to emulate his hero is not the same thing as hill billies from an old era painting their faces ‘black’ in order to degrade a race for entertainment purposes. And I also do not think you can persecute someone for doing an act in the past, which at the time was considered ‘decent’ in society, in the same manner that you should persecute them if said act was done today, when said act is no longer considered ‘acceptable’.

2 Likes