I'm big on this Venom book

:man_shrugging:

Doesn’t do it for me. I prefer cover A.

His eyes turning is not him controlling the power though, still a reaction of his not doing. And sleeper is just doing it on his own, he’s not powering him or using powers to control Sleeper in issue #19. Web of Venom: Good Son #1 is where he actually controls the symbiote for the first time… learning his power from the influence of Knull.

1 Like

However many years from now are we going to care when Dylan first shows he has powers?

Usually two things matter. First appearance and when they become character X. The smaller keys in the middle often eventually get forgotten. Venom 7/9 will always be his first apps cameo/full.

And then at some point he will become X. Whatever that eventually is. That will be the other big book.

He won’t likely stay Dylan Brock. Eventually he will become a character.

3 Likes

Nope, I’m not. To me it’s semi key to character development but isn’t important enough for me to dump money in or pump and dump like Matt Page is apparently doing.

1 Like

Kind of reminds me of ASM 258…first reveal the costume is a Symbiote (or separate living entity), great cover and yet overshadowed by all the other Venom keys.

Let’s recap, pics taken from the spoilers back on 10/30…

He does order Sleeper around, has him on a leash! But is see what you are saying....it’s....it’s like...

…a “cameo” appearance of his power(s)…?

Showing powers is not a spec. So it doesnt matter. PnDers are desperate.

1 Like

honestly, the market will eventually decide what they consider significant.

Like with Avengers 684 when the hulk gets “new” powers…or in that case existing powers were revealed, lol.

I think this may have some long term spec value just because whatever book will finally “reveal” what Dylan is will be mass ordered with incentive variants, store variants and then subsequent printings with spoiler art on the cover.

If anything, I like it for the cover…there aren’t a lot of Dylan covers out there…and they’re all him a scared whimpy human or doing basic human thing like sitting at a table eating.

Look at what knull covers with no significant story element are doing right now. Not that his character will surpass Knull’s popularity, buy you know they are related in some way.

So I get what the nay-sayers are saying…I don’t advocate P&D…I saw potential long before this Matt guy came along…but I still say you can’t count this cover out in terms of what the market will decide.

If you want a cameo of his powers, then that actually happens in Venom #18.

When he first meets Sleeper…

Sleeper says they’re better when they’re not alone but the bonding experience doesn’t go over so well, cause the Maker blasts him with one of his ray guns or whatever you wanna call it.

Dylan is with the Maker and see’s his plans of accumulating different Symbiotes and as The Maker goes after him, this happens before Wolverine, Spider-Man, Thing and Captain America step in to help:
venom18_3

Then in Venom #19, that scene that’s now on the cover of the 2nd print is the attempted bond of Sleeper to Dylan but he quickly ejects himself, asking what Dylan is.

So then yes, it goes on to show Dylan holding a symbiote leash to Sleeper but he’s not controlling sleeper, he’s just asking for help with the same dark glow in his eyes from his reactionary senses. I kind of think of it along the lines of, if the pilot asks you to hold the wheel during flight for a few minutes, that doesn’t automatically make you a pilot now…

I’ve gone back and been reading all of these to get a better grasp of it all cause well, I was behind on a lot of them. Dylan isn’t controlling the Symbiotes on his own until Web of Venom: Good Son #1. Like that’s where he gets his pilot license in controlling his power, I didn’t just hold the wheel, I took the plane off and landed it as well type of deal.

So yeah, it’s important to the character development but I wouldn’t say Venom #19 is the first time we see Dylan’s power, at least in a sense of him having power, that actually happened in Venom #18. For those that actually care.

1 Like

Even here, when Anthony did the spoilers, he even mentioned… “Dylan exhibits powers again.”… cause I believe Anthony pointed this out in our Venom #18 spoilers:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm…good points. The build up To what Dylan is has been slow and choppy; forgot about what happened in 18.

Still a first Dylan cover that’s not a frightened child! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So, circling back to th OP…apparently these are now heating up…people moving odd 19 2nd…

I had grabbed 5 from Mile-high he other day thanks to @Devildog’s post…$7 ea after shipping?. Hopefully I get them…you never know with MH’s archaic system…

1 Like

Damn it you pumper dumper devil dog :joy:

4 Likes

I hope they come through for you! One thing I’ve noticed of late with Mile High is I tend to get cancels/out of stock pretty quickly if that’s the case. Mine was processed. They had VF copies of #9 for under $10 also thet I jumped on with that order. I don’t know what their VF copies will look like but was the gamble.

I know that #12 second will just be tossed in the “pump & dump” label, but that attention to detail & emotion in that art is over the top. Even poor Anne’s footwear. So much of this entire story all summed up in that one image!

I bought 3 from Mike high as well. It is Dylan’s first (non exclusive) cover.

Mine hasn’t processed yet but they did charge my card. Such an odd system they use.

Hopefully I got in before your 5. Ha.

1 Like

Also, although off topic, yet relative to Mile High and your orders, even if you do receive an “Out of Stock” email…continue to have hope.

I ordered a few copies of that Batman:Superman #22 that suddenly blew up and created a whole lot of controversy (I can care less about the arguments over it, fact remains it became worth $$$ in a flash). Mile High had them listed at like $4 as I recall (before the sale code).
I was sent an “Out of stock” a few hours later, but last night received a confirmation/processed order and charge email with them included.

All this talk about Dylan and nobody is asking what happens if/when he becomes a costumed hero. Will these books with Dylan as a snot nosed kid really be sought after if/when Dylan does grow up or become a costumed hero with a defined skill set and a different moniker? Imo, I do not think any of these Dylan books will hold much value in that scenario, as far as a long term investment is concerned, imo.
1st Venom > 1st Eddie Brock, 1st Carnage > 1st Cletus…

I dunno…how is Batman 357 doing lately?

@drogio, Batman 357, 1st Killer Croc. It still does well. :wink:

That is not what sells that book. No one cares about killer croc…and it’s not Crocs first appearance either.

I do think ‘Tec 524 was released the same
Week as Batman 357…March 2, 1983? So they might actually be tied for 2nd app…but the story goes BM357, Tec 524.

Batman 538 is the book to own if you’re a Killer Croc Fan. First cover and it’s a beauty.