LEGOs Heating Up

It’s like the Willy Wonka NDA… gets smaller… and smaller… and smaller… :wink:

2 Likes

simpsons

I’ve had my eyes on this one…

2 Likes

@agentpoyo do you know what lego has done for Black Friday sales in past years?

This weekend is double VIP points.

Last year they were pushing the 89 Batmobile around Thanksgiving time where you got the free mini one with it (that was selling quite well, around $100).

I can’t recall the previous years. I know the VIP points is a big marketing push around this time as well.

I got an email 2 months ago (sept 23) that my lego Vip points were expiring in 2 months. I did open my account to n 11/23, and made a purchase. But since then I’ve used those and accumulated more…

Do points expire in 1 year, even if you use them up and accumulate more in the interim??

That would be new to me. I can’t recall ever getting an email about points expiring and don’t think I’ve lost any since opening my VIP account.

I’ve been hoarding mine to try and get enough to pay for that huge Millennium Falcon 8 billion piece set cause I as much as I want it, spending $800 for it is out of the question.

I’ll have to read the fine print in the original email on 11/23/19 when I signed up. Seems like it came from Lego.com. Maybe it’s something that was sent in error as an automated reminder 10 months later. May use them anyway this weekend.

You need more points… I have like 28k currently. I haven’t gotten anything or see anything that claim any of mine will expire. Weird…

I spend too Much on comics and not enough on legos.

I did ask for the Razor Crest for x-mas. Backup (if sold out) is the Apollo lunar lander.

1 Like

The Apollo Lunar Lander is an awesome set. I still want the Saturn V as I got the ISS as well.

Hi guys. So my kids are opening up a Star Wars Lego advent calendar right now. And it makes me think they may be interested in Lego spec, if there is such a thing. Two questions (please):

Does Lego spec exist? Even at a modest level? I would like to buy a set for $50 and then show them auction on eBay where the set is selling for $80 (for example).

How does one pick sets that may appreciate in value? For example, I don’t assume there are ratio variants and first appearances. Are there certain characteristics to look for?

This may be a fun thing for my kids and I to share. Thank you for your help!

Absolutely there is lego spec. I’m sure @agentpoyo can do a thorough job better than I, but I find it’s very similar to other toy collectibles where it comes down to rarity, condition and coolness.

For example, like Star Wars action figures from 70s it’s hard to find, if not impossible, sets from the 80s an earlier unopened, and boxes even today are designed such that you must damage the box in order to play.

So opening the box for today’s legos is basically instant spec killer.

Also, special edition sets either offered by lego or at comic cons are desirable as they tend to be rare/limited and cook themes. An example would be the Charles dickens Christmas Carol free to purchases over $150. Last year it was a gingerbread house. Now it’s the skating rink.

You can sell some of these “free” sets for $50 so a $150 purchase becomes more like a $110 purchase after eBay fees and such.

There is also a niche market for “first figure”. Like the set that contains the first Ashoka Tano figure is highly desired. Figures like this separated from their open sets also can be of value

Toys R Us used to issue exclusive lego sets. Those I’ve bought at the store and sold a year or two later at profits 2-3x paid. Not sure if any box stores do that now.

It’s not an exact science. But I like your question and looking forward to what others have to say.

3 Likes

There is also a market for “rare pieces” (either in special shapes or particular colors–an example is the green in one of the early connecting building sets whose name now escapes me), and so sets that contain new colors/new pieces/rare pieces are also valuable.

Thanks very much! I do some Pokemon spec with my kids now. Will now try some Lego. The above is very helpful. Much appreciated.

Agree with the above on spec, firsts, limited sets, figures, and rare pieces. Keep in mind, LEGO is an expensive hobby itself, so make sure you watch what you buy and the margins when selling. Shipping is higher, boxes / supplies are higher, fees can also eat into it. Space constraints can be a major factor as well. With them being toys, your kids will also want to open them. A $4 gamble on a book that doesn’t take up much space is a difference game than $50 - $150 large sets.

All this being said, I hope it goes well and becomes a fun and exciting activity for you and your kids!

Keep us in the loop on how it goes!

Yeah, sometimes there’s quick flip potential but for the most part, when it comes to LEGO, sets go up over time and are unopened (or at least complete with instructions and box when reselling later on).

And just like everyone else mentioned, some collect mini-figures from sets and they’ll actually sell the set without. Some do the opposite, buy the set, build it and sell the mini-figures to make up the cost of the set.

And yes, join the LEGO VIP program if you find yourself buying a lot of sets. You earn points which can be used to buy more sets or other stuff. Plus normally their shipping is fast and free (almost all purchases qualify for free shipping since sets are already costly for the most part). I’ve put in orders on a Saturday for it to show up Monday in some cases (if in stock).

Also, VIP gets you early access to some sets that get you freebie sets. Like @D-Rog mentioned, these can offset the price if you want the set and don’t care about the freebie set.

Also, to circle back to an earlier comment, I asked (I happen to live with someone who works for a certain building block toy company with world headquarters in Billund Denmark and US headquarters in Enfield CT) and that while there are Lego.com exclusives right now there aren’t any for any other stores (at least currently). I think there are “exclusive windows” for some new releases, though.

I hear that…my son is turning into Zach the Lego Maniac…my unopened sets are in the basement but in sterlite bins…and as we are partially finishing our basement so the kids can stop leaving their toys in our living space and give them more space from each other he’s been asking about why we can’t open the ones in the bins.

“Those are Daddy’s Legos. Do not touch.”

I’m probably scarring him in some way I won’t realize until he’s an adult when therapy sessions will uncover this pivotal moment in time in his young brain’s development…but they are my legos. Don’t touch.

1 Like

We have Pez, Lego and short drive across the RI border Hasbro. Or as some people call it the Happy-Go-Lucky toy factory.

Don’t blink while you’re driving through RI or you might find yourself in Massachusetts though…

2 Likes

Don’t forget Cartamundi in East Longmeadow too. Printer of (at least the Belgian office anyway) Magic the Gathering cards.