Mercari New Fees April 2023

So as of April 2023 Mercari is following eBay’s business model on charging fees on shipping too. That totally sucks especially since Mercari sellers do not get a cut of the selling fees. New fee structure changes from 2.9% of closing price plus .50 cents to 2.9% of closing price plus shipping plus .50 cents.

2 Likes

Hell, Ebay charges a 13.5% fee on closing price+shipping+taxes. Yea…TAXES !!!

Absolutely criminal.

5 Likes

Hm. Some folks sell comics on Poshmark. I may need to do that too at this rate…

1 Like

It’s like Mercari wants to be eBay, but doesn’t want to offer something better.

I keep trying to use them, and it’s nothing but disappointment.

I have to offer things at lower prices than ebay to get them to sell…and nearly all cases the eBay (higher priced item) sells first.

1 Like

Well, not really. Don’t like their service, then don’t use it. Simple solution.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

None of us should have to pay fees based on shipping and definitely shouldn’t have to pay anything based on the taxes. That part about the taxes sounds like a future lawsuit to me if someone already hasn’t.

1 Like

These big companies have so many lawyers it would be a nightmare to take them on. Even when a company is the in the wrong they usually get away with stuff. Watch that, “Pepsi, Where’s My Jet?” movie for a good example that is also quite entertaining.

2 Likes

You say that, but then I get postcards in the mail all the time to be part of the “spoils” of settlements.

The latest was a few weeks ago where IKEA is paying out something lien $24 million because they disclosed too many digits of people’s credit cards on receipts.

I wouldn’t say it’s a nightmare. Some lawyer firm could find a way and make good money.

2 Likes

Diamond is pushing a new selling platform I’ve never heard of. Any thoughts or experience with it?

"TCGplayer is excited to be the presenting sponsor for Free Comic Book Day 2023!

TCGplayer is the #1 marketplace for trading cards, comics, and supplies, with a built-in customer base of buyers worldwide.

Selling on TCGplayer is fast and easy with no setup or listing fees – you don’t have to pay a cent until you make a sale!

Upload your Marvel and DC comic book inventory with our curated catalog and sell to customers across the globe."

For E-Bay and Mercari it’s pretty simple to add a percentage to each item to cover the cost of the fee’s and have that percentage figured into your shipping charge so after E-Bay takes out it’s fee’s your left with enough to pay the cost of the shipping label and packing materials. You should end up with the same amount in the cash drawer after a sale whether it’s someone walking in the front door or shopping from 10 States away. Bonanza charges a little less than E-Bay so it’s easy to have them reduce the price when loading a little to offset the lower fee’s at Bonanza. I haven’t used Mercari yet so I don’t know how well it syncs to the others or how the fee’s compare.

Haven’t heard of Bonanza before. TCGPlayer is one of the biggest price guides and market places for Magic and Pokémon.

Tcgplayer sells mostly TCG, I use them all the time. But eBay recently just bought them out, so I’m sure fees there will be increasing soon.

I’ve bought on Bonanza. It’s a solid little site.

Mercari just announced zero selling fees, not just a promotion but supposedly here to stay.

2 Likes

What’s the catch? I can’t use mecari as I’m not from the US but this is great news to put some heat on the evil ebay

I was just reading this in my email. Gonna list more comics on there now. I do sell a good amount on Mercari but since their fees were higher than eBay I always priced higher.

I can’t find the “fine print” but one thing mentioned in is that buyers can now return an item for any reason within 3 days and are guaranteed a refund.

Looks like all the costs are on the buyer now. Except it costs $2 to withdraw your money.

Here’s what you need to know, effective March 27, 2024:

0% Selling Fees: The selling fee for new listings will be 0%. That’s right – what used to be a 10% selling fee is now 0% – zero selling fees!

Listings created before 8:30 AM ET March 27, 2024 will be subject to a selling fee of 10% of the item price when a sale is completed, unless the listing has been updated on or after March 27, 2024.

Buy with Confidence: Buyers will now be able to return items for any reason.

Service Fee: When you make a purchase, a service fee will be charged. The amount of the fee will be displayed as part of the final price of your item(s) on the checkout page.

Payment Processing and Withdrawal Fee: For listings created after 8:30 AM ET on March 27, 2024, Mercari will charge buyers a payment processing fee at the time of purchase. That includes a payment processing fee of $.50, plus 2.9% of the transaction price (includes item price, shipping, service fee, and sales tax).

For listings created before March 27, 2024, a payment processing fee of 2.9% plus $.50 per sale is charged to the seller based on the completed sale, plus shipping price of the item – unless the listing is updated after March 27, 2024.

Zero payment processing fees for buyers when using your balance.

Direct Deposit: As always, you can request to cash out your balance to your checking account with direct deposit. Starting on this date, there is a $2 flat fee per cash-out.

By continuing to use our platform, you’re agreeing to these updated Terms of Service. For more detailed information, please visit our Terms of Service update article.

1 Like

I hope this model blows up. Lots of places like auction houses already use a buyers premium model. I like it that there are more options for sellers nowadays.

2 Likes

The catch here is that now Buyers can return anything for any reason. Before Mercari used to really be strict and give customers 3 days to do a return, but now it seems like a lot of their return policies are changing. I’m not sure if they are keeping the 3 days to initiate a return or if they are going to follow the eBay and Amazon model.

I’ve given up on Mercari it is so difficult to sell on there and their system annoys me with the offers. Even when I do them manually it always keeps trying to go lower and lower in pricing for offers. I should be able to control what I send as offers, not Mercari.