Mercari - Offers & Promotions WTF?!

So I have an update: it appears that since I accepted that guys $56 offer, even though it declined, that became my “historical lowest price”. That is why Mercari wouldn’t let me offer it for less than $50 to likers. 50 is roughly 10% less than 56…

Whatever, now I know and knowing is half the battle.

2 Likes

I have sold about $700 on there is the past month. I am liking it.

3 Likes

Wow… any tips?

Surprisingly no. I have sold books on Mercari for more than going eBay prices and sold books that had no interest on eBay. Books that people have undercut the hell out of I have been able to get higher prices. Be aggressive is all I can say. Mercari sends out a lot of coupons and I think people wait to buy stuff until they have the coupons. I have books on there with a ton of likes but no movement that I think will sell when they send out coupons.

2 Likes

Interesting… I price a bit on the higher side too but haven’t had too many sales. Are you selling volume, as in lots of $5 books, or hot keys?

How do you receive the coupons? I just started buying on Mercari and think it’s great. It feels like a virtual flea market as compared to a more corporate eBay IMO. I love flea markets!

I like Mercari because I’m able to find great deals and also able to unload certain books for much more than I could on eBay.

A little bit of everything. I moved more High Republic on Mercari than on eBay. Also sold some random variants that were only selling for like $6 on eBay I was able to get $12-15

1 Like

I should really start listing everything I have on eBay on Mercari, just seems like too much work.

Copy and paste as much as you can. It is tedious.

1 Like

A few years ago Mercari sent me a 35% off coupon. I used it to buy a fairly priced lot of new mutants 87 and 98. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Another thing I don’t like about Mercari is that if I don’t rate an item within three days of it being delivered Mercari rates the transaction so the buyer can get paid. First I sometimes only go to the post office once every two weeks. Secondly, the packages will often sit unopened for up to a week or two after I pick them up. Third, if you can see the package was delivered release the money to the buyer then. They’ve already waited long enough and should’ve had the money available before even shipping.

I only have bought off Mercari three imes and will never ever sell there. I have a hard enough time waiting 2-3 days for my eBay sales to clear. I’m not waiting forever like Mercari wants you to wait.

@ToddW I think eBay has emulated Mercari’s system pretty much. I have been selling on Mercari and what I like is I do not pay for shipping labels. They charge the buyer and I just print them out. Yes, it sucks I do not get paid until the item arrives, but its only a few days. So far everyone who has purchased from me has rated me quickly. The money is then released to the account. I have not even touched the money in the Mercari account after two months of selling. I haven’t updated my ebay account to the new seller thing so I cannot list new items at the moment, however, I do fully plan to.

2 Likes

What’s better is Mercari is in charge of returns typically they just pay the seller and refund the buyer. If they return the item Mercari pays for the return label.

If you list the item in poor condition then they can’t return it.

I have had bad luck with Spawn newsstand comics on Mercari. I purchase the UPC version and get sent the non UPC. Even after confirming with seller. Requested a refund. Let’s see how that goes. This same thing happens on eBay. So annoying with the bait and switch.

1 Like

Why do people pull that trick? If you are buying a comic BECAUSE it is a Newsstand version it is obvious you won’t be fooled. Right?

I’ve had one person (ebay seller) pull that on me. It was one if those multiple item listings for a bunch of late Uncanny X-Men Newsstands. They were clearly pics of the books available and the description stated to use the photos as a reference for grade because they weren’t willing to assign a grade. Books were all direct editions and the seller ended up issuing a full refund.

Yah. It’s annoying. Has happened several times in the past few months (but only with Spawn and I buy a lot of newsstand). This most recent time, I emailed the seller to confirm and he/she still sent the direct edition. I am considering just buying graded versions if I can find a price that I like.

1 Like

Yeah I’m big into late modern newsstands. The hunt is the funnest part. Well selling for huge profits is nice as well.