Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Ok, so you guys know I’m a big fan of magazines. In particular magazines with comics that contain firsts of characters preceding what would otherwise be their first appearance in comics. I advocate for comics like Europe’s Rebels Magazine all the time.

The fact of the matter is that people don’t pour the type of money and effort into chasing down first appearances in other media.

Yes, we all know Thrawn first appeared in Timothy Zahn’s Heir to the Empire Novel. However, I can find a hardcover first print of that for $20 in perfect shape. The comic, however, is going for $100+ in less than great condition and going up.

The fact is that people care about first COMIC cover and not first magazine, coloring book, T-shirt. I own more copies of the Mandalorian Screen Comix volume than I care to admit, but it’s not what people care about. I own them as insurance if the market goes nutso and decides to chase it against all reason.

If we look at it objectively, the Darth Vader 20 Sprouse is more collectible (today, before the open up FOC or over print). We can argue the definition of “first” and what is worthy until blue in the face, but it isn’t going to change what the market is going to do, which is pay too dollar for DV 20 Sprouse.

11 Likes

compare the price of one punch man 1st manga to his fcbd comic, comic collectors want comics

5 Likes

It’s true. You guys tell me that in a resounding chorus every time I try to bring up a digest size Empire Strikes Back Marvel Illustrated Edition, or Clone Wars Webcomics graphic novel.

5 Likes

Speaking Of Little Golden Books, saw this today and thought of @drunkwooky .

Just came out the other day.

The Story of the Faithful Wookiee , the animated segment from the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special, is retold in the iconic Little Golden Book format. It is perfect for Star Wars --and Little Golden Book–fans of all ages.

“Ah, yea sir…it’s for my…er…kid….”

4 Likes

Bloodstone seems to be doing ok on eBay? I sold out completely. Crazy!

1 Like

yea and i havent even seen people talk about the best part of the book, that make it really nice spec

1 Like

I have 3 incoming.

i wonder what school she is applying to. lol

6 Likes

Oh man I like where this is going! Nice find!

2 Likes

I read the book and took photos for spoilers and still missed that reference. Good eye.

5 Likes

Teen Titan Academy!

6 Likes

@drunkwooky Its my understanding that Season 1 book is all screen shots of the show with dialogue bubbles and no illustrations. Is that true? Here is a you tuber reviewing and stating as such from earlier in the year. Screen Comix The Mandalorian Graphic Novel Review - Season 1 Volume 1 - My Honest Thoughts - YouTube

photos with word bubbles

1 Like

Yes. Just screen captures from the show with speech balloons.

2 Likes

Thank You for confirming

Dominion might come through after all, they still haven’t canceled the Vader #20 and it’s not listed on their site anymore so they obviously saw all the orders.

2 Likes

I saw that. Don’t get my hopes up!

hopefully it’s not because they are holding out for an official cancellation from Marvel

I admit I bought this when it came out. It was the first I’d seen of them at the time. Not a comic, but predates almost everything else I’ve seen here.

SOOO, this seller may actually be on here reading all of us! They removed the $999 listing and its back now with updated text specifically mentioned CHU (Star Wars Darth Vader #20, Sprouse Presale.NOT FIRST GROGU COMIC COVER | eBay)

4 Likes