Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Yup - Alan Moore is another.
He has almost completely disassociated himself with comics in all regards. It has been somewhat recent though. He does have some pre-signed books he did when he wasn’t anti-comic. (A Supreme issue comes to mind).
But Ditko - sheesh - I think he was born to oppose autographs

1 Like

anyone for some “Graded Comic Forecasting”?

In what year do you think these bronze/copper/modern key issues will sell for double the value they are today? For the purpose of this hypothetical, lets hold the grading company as irrelevant because the question is regarding the amount itself–how much will it fetch most often?–in the market overall.

Star Wars (1977) #1 graded 9.6; 9.8
Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #300 graded 9.6; 9.8
Ultimate Fallout (2011) #4 graded 9.6; 9.8

1 Like

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #10 graded 9.6; 9.8

This one has the potential to more than double

That story about people following him into the restroom at San Diego and pushing books under the cubicle door for him to sign would put me right off signing comics as well!

2 Likes

At the risk of getting off track, this autograph conversation is a strange one. The thought could be an artist is in the public spotlight, people appreciate them and want their autograph, so they should oblige. That being said, some people are not comfortable being asked to sign something. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I’ve been asked for autographs from my old band, as well as producing/directing my film many times. I am by no means anywhere near the level of Ditko, Smith, or Moore, but it was extremely uncomfortable for me. All the time. Just something to think about. It’s not part of the game and should be respected if they’re not into it. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

I agree. My only thing is, if they’re presenting themselves in a booth at a convention, they should expect people to ask for their autographs. If they’re not there to sign, at minimal put up a sign that clearly says you’re not signing and if you can’t bother to do that, at least be polite about it. I think the issue here is, some of these creators seem bothered when asked. They could avoid if they just put up a sign if they’re tired of people asking.

And never ask for some celebrities autograph if found out in public and they’re just trying to do normal human being things… that’s just effing tacky to me! Maybe say hi, I like your work, etc but leave it quick or just leave them alone, let them be human doing normal everyday things.

4 Likes

I’m not sure why comictom was talking up avengers forever 4 because there’s nothing earth shattering. We get a full app of the guys on the last page of 3 and new Hawkeye and what looks like a red war machine on the last page.

A sign would be a good idea. Not sure if people do that. Either way, there’s never an excuse to be rude about the situation (for both parties). Also, 100% on people you recognize out and about. Just so intrusive.

In the case of Barry Windsor Smith - he is disgruntled about what comics have become. I know this because he told me. He’ll sign anything else happily, but comics is a bit more difficult

In the case of Alan Moore, although never met him, he is beyond disgruntled at comics and the industry. Again - he’ll sign things unrelated to comics, but comics is an altogether different thing.

And Ditko - well… I don’t know. He’s was just Ditko.

So I do think there’s a distinction here of signing/not signing based on their thoughts/feelings about the industry; not about autographs in general. Just for clarity

2 Likes
4 Likes

David Mack would happily sign comics when I met him at a show. He just requested in lieu of a fee you donate some cash into a, “Hero Initiative,” donation box he had at his table along with some of the other creators at the show with their own little donation box (who were still asking for cash to sign autographs but also were kind enough to put a little donation box out).

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity are you someone we should know from music and the movies ? You dont have to reply if it makes you uncomfortable; not trying to pry.

I appreciate the inquiry and not uncomfortable at all (you’re not asking for an autograph…I kid). I would be shocked if anybody here knew my band, but maybe my film since it was on Netflix for 3 years.

Band- Burning Jet Black (formerly The Whiskey Saints)…EDIT realizing that thumbnail is horrible…:

Film- Sons of Ben: The Movie

10 Likes

You’re Jefferey Bell ?

I watched Sons of Ben 5 years ago. It was pretty good. :grinning:

2 Likes

My mom calls me Jeffrey, but yes that’s me. I really appreciate you checking out the film!

7 Likes

You’ve been in a band and involved in flicks and do a Youtube comic show? You don’t get much sleep!

1 Like

Am I supposed to have heard of this guy? I didn’t even know who he was when I was on his show.

1 Like

Sadly it doesn’t look like the first Bo Katan orMoff Gideon covers are catching any heat…

1 Like

Given that the cover was released before FOC, I didn’t expect it to be a quick flip. Supply will dry up eventually, but I don’t expect demand to permanently fade.

2 Likes