Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

I sold one of the two I got for $25 plus shipping.

Could be nothing but a bunch of SW Visions #1 have been moving since yesterday.

3 Likes

season 2 comes out next week.

thats why

3 Likes

I disagree, if these comic bookshops have not inserted themselves in between you and the news agent where you normally got them from or the supermarket, you would not have to pay 10 times the amount for something that should be marked up at cover price, I wouldn’t expect to have to pay 10 times the amount for a new car, just because they had sold ouy, i expect the dealer to sell it to me for the price the manufacturer had agreed with them beforehand… This kind of nonsense only happens with comics it seems to me.

Yep. Everyone knows concert tickets and Super Bowl tickets get flipped for a profit but Ticketmaster doesn’t mark the price up the day the tickets go on sale. They don’t hold back a bunch of tickets with some bs excuse to only flip them a week later. Comic shops that jack up the price the day of release stink.

3 Likes

Or you’re at walmart buying a toy and the cashier says they have to charge market price for any collectibles. It kills stores seing others profit from someone other than them

1 Like

Yeah. Because they tack on exorbitant fees. Cure tickets were $25 with $30 in fees.

6 Likes

I got Cure tickets too!

(Followed by a refund)

1 Like

Same, got my Cure refund too! Can’t wait to see them in the ATL!

1 Like

Not here. The cheapest ones where $400. So the wife and I decided to pass.

I completely get your analogy. Unfortunately, TM started dabbling in both of these things around 2018-19 and it exploded post-covid. Mark ups are the most widespread. Anything you see as “Official Platinum” is Ticketmaster scalping their own tickets, with the artist’s blessing, and significant swaths of tickets are priced as Official Platinum in presales and Day One onsales.

It sucks when TM does it, and it sucks when comic shops do it.

1 Like

So you’re going to compare Walmart and TicketMaster to a local mom and pop shop?

A local shop that’s just basically scraping by and taking all the risk to keep us nerds in comics and related stuff.

Those same shops that watch customers come in, buy up all the hot books and turn directly around and get 10-30x more for them.

Why in the world shouldn’t comic shops see at least some of the money from those hot books?

2 Likes

That’s why they can limit them to one copy. It’s not so much they shouldn’t charge market price day one. It’s just turns customers away, and that’s never smart business while trying to build and keep a loyal customer base. Its a big reason Third Eye Comics is thriving. They know how to be good to customers

2 Likes

Yup, because then they have family and friends go in for them bypassing any limits. If these shops don’t make money they’ll eventually close and then there goes your only spot for in person comics.

I’m not saying they should cancel someone’s preorder or pull but otherwise it’s fair game. It’s selfish of most of us because those complaining about shops doing this are only pissy because they don’t get to reap all the profits. Those that aren’t buying to flip it should either preorder it or add it to your pull list. Thus avoiding the markup.

2 Likes

So without the internet to tell them what is hot and selling above cvr price, stores would go under? I think it’s more about them wanting the extra cash for themselves without having to pay online selling fees

5 Likes

Then there is no point in going to a LCS if you have no shot at a hot book on release date. Just FOC everything online and save time and gas since you know if you want something you didn’t preorder, it won’t be there. That’s a sure way to lose even more business. And if these places are just scraping by, then maybe they should try a different business.

9 Likes

Spider-man #7 effect…

People are buying up copies of Spider-man #8, out this Wednesday.

:grinning:

Bailey is in issues #8 & 9.

2 Likes

Was hoping there would be a Conan book with the movie poster on it. I love this cover, it’s dope!

3 Likes

@RawDeluxe
There is this book also out there from awhile back if you’re interested. Seller won’t leave you hanging either.

1 Like

That’s sweet!