Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 2)

I might try to find a copy later
but I don’t even know where to look
.and likely not worth my time searching
Long box after long box

I’m somewhat proud of myself at how much better I’ve become not buying into FOMO.
Just so few examples of books that have remained relevant or worth the buy in.

I’m not talking about plucking them out of cheap bins
I’ll still buy any of these books just to have them if I find them cheap
but absolutely not paying anything more for them due to “heat”.

So much better to save the dollars and buy stuff you really want/like or has far better long term potential.

5 Likes

Need to already have them to sell when they are hot. Spec doesn’t work if one isn’t willing to make decisions/purchases without all the information

2 Likes

Oh absolutely
and I’ve become very good at the game.

I’m just saying
there was a time
many moons ago
when the world was young
that I was pretty foolish and rushed out to overpay for the next big FOMO book. I suppose something every collector comes to terms with.

The primary book that made me learn my lesson
1st appearance of Surge in one of the New Mutants comics (see, I don’t even remember which one). I think I paid like 40 or 50$ bucks for that book
AGGGGGGGGG
I bet I’ve found 5 copies since in cheap bins.

4 Likes

Keep an eye on issue # X as well. If found cheap
Might be a good flip. I took a chance on a $6 copy of the Dark Forces variant
seems to have paid off.

1 Like

Avengelyne # 1 is definitely a surprise to most but seeing that Margot Robbie and her company is involved there might be a pretty good chance this goes through. Let’s face it, odds are when this is finished it probably won’t be very good
It might, but odds these days
 Anyway, it looks like it could be a good bet if found cheap enough with prices creeping up. If they cast the role properly it could see another modest increase after that as well. Just sell before any early reviews of the flick come out.

1 Like

I’m not one to pay a bunch for a book because it got hot and then try to flip it for a tiny profit. If I can randomly stumble on such a book for cheap and sell it though, I’ll do it for sure. I found a first printing of, “Eight Billion Genies,” for $2 at Half Price Books and then sold it for $25 so I’m pleased.

Good you don’t pay market or above cover price anymore. It’s a recipe for disaster

1 Like

That’s how I do it. Find it cheap, flip. If not, wait for the next hot book. By using this strategy I’ve been able to make many times the profit than I’ve spent on books that I’ve wanted. I’m squarely in the black.

Also not buying store exclusives and ratio incentives and being stuck with them helps.

2 Likes

Incentives have mostly become sinkholes or just stink all together. Exclusives are such an easy money grab if you have a 1/4 or 1/3 of the front money. Even one can kill the spec on incentives

As a typical attendee of the two big cons (SDCC and NYCC) for many years, Convention exclusives have, perhaps, made me more money than any other category of comic.

The problem today is that now, everyone knows this and it is freakin darn near impossible to get all the Image, Marvel, DC, Skybox, Boom, IDW exclusives anymore. Further, vendors cap purchases at 1 now, often. Even on Preview night it’s near impossible
It’s just gotten so crazy with the lines that last year I pretty much just gave up with a bunch of 'em.

2 Likes

Last time I went to NYCC, most exclusives were already sold out from publisher booths cause they allowed retailers who were already on the floor before the convention opened to buy them all up and then you found the exclusives for double or triple the price at their booths.

2 Likes

Yup, there was a giant fiasco here at Toronto Fanexpo where they had the Batman 423 foil exclusives. It was sold out before the doors open to the public because they allowed the retailers to buy them all up without limits. Needless to say it was a giant shit show. The dealers then had it at their booths at huge inflated prices.

2 Likes

Yup, this is when all us regular consumers should band together and boycott in buying any of them, make those retailers eat those costs by no one buying them.

5 Likes

Even without the retailers, it’s been a shit show lately.
Anyone get on the skybox Invincible covers last year at SDCC? And take a picture in their booth for an opportunity for the sketch Capullo cover? Aye aye aye aye aye. No retailers I saw. Just rabid lunacy

I don’t think anyone posted this yet. I really liked the 1st issue. Interesting character. Fun!

It’s old enough you may be able to some in back issues too. Problem is the book was pricey & had other covers.

Thanks to @ComicSpec for mentioning it 3 years ago on FOC lol. :blush:

1 Like

Well, there is some heat with What if vol 1 #37 being the first Shalla Ball with the Power Cosmic. These have been plentiful and there are cheap high/higher grade copies still out there. If some apps and Youtube shows start pointing this out we all know what will happen next. Shalla Ball spec aside, It is a bronze age book and it does have a pretty cool cover so if you are going to get one for the pc now is the time. If you can find a few cheap copies there is a good chance you can make a few bucks “if” FOMO hits. I don’t think anyone should go nuts with Shalla Ball, but if there is a chance to make some money, go for it.

2 Likes

Looks like the regular cover for Geiger 80 Page giant is also creeping up too.

3 Likes

Nice, I have 5 of them sitting in a box somewhere

1 Like