Odds and Ends

DARK RIDE Disney Homage variants

https://www.cbr.com/tony-fleecs-stray-dogs-variant-cover-program-joshua-williamson-dark-ride/

1 Like

Nice. Those covers are awesome.

1 Like

I saw that headline. Horrible move by DC if you ask me.

I have an Italian heritage.
If I saw covers of Hawkman and Flash making spaghetti, lasagna, frutta di mare, & calamari I’d be tempted to eat the front cover.
I dunno - sensitivity is at an all time high so it’s best to just not say/do/show anything that isn’t about the weather.

Side note: I’m tempted to eat the front cover shown

3 Likes

Like I said - best for everyone on one end to not comment and let everyone else complain and get it out.
I’m surprised and regretting even mentioning in the 1st place.

Now I’ll go talk with my hands to someone else and have my cavatelli lunch. Damn me

1 Like

There’s just better ways to pay tribute to a race than what foods they’re known for.

2 Likes

Food is the great unifier and something for all to enjoy. But what do I know

1 Like

For some, yes. But if you compare DC’s take vs Marvel where they celebrated Latino heroes and artists who are Latino… it’s sort of a slap in the face. Like @LoveBox stated, to Latino’s and Hispanic people, this is sort of the same as if we did depict Black and African American’s eating watermelon and fried chicken.

1 Like

Didn’t they invent Tamales tho?

1 Like

Like I mentioned, I’m done.
Let the complainers complain and let everyone else not comment. That works

2 Likes

The complainers are actual hispanic and latino people, so they have every right to voice their opposition to this utter shit. Like I read online, perhaps DC should have asked Latino and Hispanic creators how they felt and how they think the consumers who are of the same race feel with the covers. Sadly they didn’t and now they gotta play PR cleanup…

3 Likes

Also, it’s one thing if they depicted maybe Green Lantern with a family or group, perhaps cooking a traditional meal. The focus wouldn’t be the food but perhaps the family and gathering around the hero, etc. Him just holding a plastic bag that says tamales on it is just the complete opposite if you ask me. How it’s portrayed makes a huge difference and I’m as white as they come but if I was Hispanic or Latino, putting myself in their shoes, I’d be offended myself with these covers.

1 Like

The real betrayal was taking a Hispanic artist’s homage to a Mexican muralist and photoshopping out the Mexican flag and replacing the lantern with a bag of tamales in space.

At the end of the day, reason won out and we are going to get Molina’s intended cover which is 10000% better and actually embraces the heritage.

5 Likes

Jorge Molina himself is Mexican and them changing it without his permission in the first place and making it like that is even more disrespectful imo

3 Likes

If you follow his Twitter (and you should) he has been a total class act about the situation. He was diplomatic about them changing his original vision (even how he took his name off the art) and then when DC reversed its position put it out there like he was the one who misunderstood which cover was going out.

I already had a lot of respect for his art, now I really gained a new level of respect for him as a person. I’m really glad we are getting his original vision. I’m not Hispanic, but I went from avoiding all these titles to buying a couple copies of his for art alone.

2 Likes

Why Kyle Rayner only eats fast food and refuses to open the fridge.

This is the true origins of pretty little liars.

DC should just use this and be done with it.

1 Like

I was more annoyed for Molina having his cover altered in ways he didn’t want. I’m glad the original version is now being done.

3 Likes

I knew there would be no way the altered cover would be distributed but I was kinda hoping it would squeak out. I would have given a copy to my wife…She’s Mexican, well Mexican heritage/ancestry. I can practically hear her calling me “menso”, as she rolls her eyes. Oh well.

1 Like