Odds and Ends

My wife and I finally started watching, “Community,” from the start. We have been loving it and are excited to see this news…

3 Likes

I just hope Donald Glover comes back for the movie even if it’s just a brief cameo.

He’s a great actor and singer for sure.

I follow Peach Momoko on varied media and she expressed some real regret about the situation of signing at New York. The constant stream of retailers and their stacks of books versus her ability to get to meet her fans. I wasn’t there, not sure how bad it was, but she really seemed genuinely distraught and that’s a shame. I love the hobby but the greed associated with it has never been worse imo.

9 Likes

I also heard there was some kind of altercation in her line on the second to last day that made her cry and cancel the rest of her signings at nycc.

2 Likes

That’s just sad and disheartening. Greedy people suck!

4 Likes

I read on reddit from someone who was there that the fight started because of the line cutting and also from greedy exhibitors with their stacks of comics. Seems like this is a usual occurrence now at major cons.

Momoko will be doing a signing at Midtown to make up for it. 2 sigs each, no exhibitors.

1 Like

That’s how it should be done. Limited and allow the actual fans first. If you got stacks and stacks of books to sign, we know why you’re there. You get to stand in the back of the line until all the fans have gotten their chance and then, and only then if the creator is willing, then you get your stuff signed but not guaranteed.

6 Likes

Really sucks that happened with Momoko and I have a lot of respect for her and the professionalism she has for doing another signing and giving people another chance if they missed out at nycc. Funny how I kept seeing people talk about “well those influencers aint gonna cut the line and snatch up those exclusives at NYCC , that aint how we do things in NY broo” as said influencers proceed to skip through the lines and get a bunch of the exclusives again like theyve been doing at most of these cons it seems

1 Like

:100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: to all the prior comments about Momoko.
I was there and saw the hoardes, but worse, saw the exhibitors with more books than I can count.

2 Likes

I think the event organizers need to take some of the blame. It’s not like this is a new occurrence, it’s happening at every con. Recently at the Toronto Fanexpo there was another fiasco as exhibitors were buying up all the copies of the Batman 423 Mcfarlane foil exclusive to sell on the secondary market before the show even started.

It’s ruining the experience for everyone. There needs to be proper protocols in place. If you’re a popular creator, exhibitors shouldn’t be allowed to bring in their entire inventory of Momoko books to be signed.

3 Likes

I’m often one of the ones that gets upset when creators charge for their autograph.
I go back close to 40 years though; so I’m a bit (admittedly) jaded.

That said, this Momoko fiasco reminds me of how important it is for creators TO CHARGE for their autographs a going rate to cull this activity.
I don’t know what she was charging - I stayed away from that line. But clearly it was not enough to keep the vultures from circling.

I was gonna say the same thing. You should be limited on what you bring into the con but no limit of what you buy at the convention when leaving…

1 Like

I was not there but read about it on social media. Peach was offering 10 FREE signatures and $20 remarques. Extremely generous of her, but it backfired badly. That said, the behavior people described was not her fault and she apparently did not realize how big a name she is now.

2 Likes

Oh I absolutely would put zero blame on her. By the graciousness of her heart she set out to do the right thing for her fans and I applaud that. I don’t even blame flippers. If just to make money, You go there with a few books to flip - bravo. Next on line. But it’s those that have zero respect for others, or consideration for the creator when a “deal” presents itself. 20 free signatures is bound to pull in the foulest of the foul with as much as the foul can carry.

And I’m sure a few of those types are probably reading this right now laughing and thinking they got over on everyone. And they did. And now Momoko is done and you’ll probably never see free sigs again from her. Aint it wonderful how lack of respect and consideration ruin things?

2 Likes

I_got_issues2319 has a great write up on Instagram about what happened and his experience trying to get Momoko remark and what happened. I think it gives the best summary of what was going on

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly. This is truly a way to get rid of a “golden goose” who traveled all the way from Japan only to have this blow up in her face.

1 Like

Keep me posted. I chose not to stand in line at NYCC…but I figured she was a big name and charging big $$. So I didn’t bring any books either.

I do know midtown was limiting to 5 signatures Sat, but you had to buy one book first. Seemed very generous…but even a 5 limit slows the line down. 2 seems right to me. If you want more, get back in line.

I have a couple for the PC…so depending on the day maybe I’ll drive in or Metro North it. Make a day of it.

1 Like