Other Hobbies

I don’t partake but I have some friends who got medical licenses to be able to use it legally in Missouri (where it is allowed with a medical card). They do actually have some medical conditions, so it isn’t a lie so much as they already liked cannabis and now can enjoy it without fear of (much) legal issues. Across the river from Saint Louis in Illinois everyone is toking legally it seems. Some folk love the cheeba.

1 Like

I Have been into Sneakers for quite some time. There is good appreciation on many sneaker models like the Air Jordan Retros. It has many of the thrills of comic book hunting such as getting a hot product at retail and many of the annoyances such as quick sell outs.

Huge Lego collector!!

I have two young children under 10 so I get lots of Lego time with them. Lego are also the only toy(s) I still have in full from my childhood. I’ve got very early 80s Space/Castle and a ton of UCS Star Wars sets. Those UCS builds are by far my favorite to display. I have a full basement room dedicated to just Lego. Also have a good friend who owns his own used Lego store and I’m lucky enough to do about 80% of his QA. I’ve been doing this for about six years and can’t tell you how many hundreds of pounds I’ve accumulated over that time from him. I do this as a fun side job and get paid by him in Lego.

I love retro gaming as well, and I’ve been collecting NES, SNES, Genesis carts for some time now. Also big into arcades since Arcade1Up came onto the scene. However, I picked up the Atgames Legends Ultimate from Sam’s last year on Black Friday, and have played that thing a crap ton over the past year. A1UPs have barely been played in about a year now because I just love the Legends Ultimate too much. Also starting dabbling in emulation because of arcades and have got some nifty handhelds, raspberry Pi’s, and modified A1Ups with those Pandora Boxes I built myself. Arcades will also have their own dedicated room in my basement in a couple more years. Just waiting to transition the kids’ playroom as they grow a bit older. Currently have 8 arcade cabinets and plan to add virtual pinballs once A1Up and Atgames have retail releases.

Lastly, got into the Jordan sneaker game about a year ago. I owned one pair in high school (nearly 30 years ago) then never owned another Jordan sneaker until 2019. I now have 18 retail pairs and no way would I ever pay the current aftermarket prices. The thrill of chasing a launch sneaker on the app is very addicting though. Always lose to the damn bots but have gotten lucky a couple times. Sometimes get lucky on restocks too. The sneaker game doesn’t come cheap, but there’s so much potential if you know what to purchase. I’ve never flipped a sneaker yet, so I just have a huge stack of shoeboxes piling up. I’m weird though. Every few days I’ll open a box, just study the shoes details, and smell the crap out of the new shoes. I get some weird enjoyment out of smelling new shoes and comic books. lol =)

It’s cool to see others with some of these same interests.

There’s 57 pairs of Jordan’s in my closet that never get worn not my hobby but my husbands it’s pretty ridiculous he’s been saying for years he’s ahead of the curve on the collectible show market. I collect statues and toys but frankly am out of room. I plan on starting an Obscura collection next with a Siamese twin baby skeleton replica.

LEGO, video games (retro and current), sneakers (f the bots like mentioned above).

My wife and I are big live music fans and have amassed a nice concert poster collection from shows we’ve been to over the last twenty years. Mostly Phish and some Primus but lots of other stuff from random shows too. If there’s one thing I’ve missed terribly during the pandemic, it’s live music.

There’s definitely some vinyl around here as well (I have a few Melvins records I’d trade for comics!) and I pick up Godzilla and other kaiju stuff I think is cool.

Coins (mainly US and Italy), used to do sports cards (first job was when I was 12 a 2 different card shops, one of which was the largest card show promoter is central Florida in the late eighties), retro video games (NES and Atari mostly), Garbage Pail Kids (mainly original series 1 and 2), Boombox’s and Diskman’s from the 80’s, Pokemon (my son got into it, so I did too), I’ve been meaning to buy the Lego sets from my childhood, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Other than comics, I also collect authentic rolled movie posters from the 1980’s (all the movies I loved when I was a teenager like Weird Science, Breakfast Club, Escape From New York, Dawn of the Dead and science fiction).

Have been a sports card collector since 1993. Primarily into basketball (Michael Jordan graded cards from 1986-1997), football HOFers, hockey HOFers and some non-sport (1977 Blue Series Star Wars).

Outdoor activites include boating with my family and friends.

Great forum subject!

How the hell did I forgot GPK!?!?!?

I’ve collected every base set A/B from OS1 1985 through today. I actually was just looking yesterday for the 2020 35th Anniversary Series 2 because they were originally set to launch this week. Topps has postponed until Oct 28th now though. I’m so grateful that GPK is still a thing and being produced. They bring me lots of joy!

Also, buy up all the GPK Pop’s when they release. Those are the only Pop’s I really collect.

He is probably right on that. You could check the market value using the product codes on the box on stockx or even ebay. You’re probably richer than you thought you were.

I like vinyl as well. I have more hip-hop and R&B than rock, though. I like the Melvins, actually, however. Funny you mention them!

I collect vinyl as well. Have a good selection of punk records.

I’m right there with you, Todd. I barely drink, but I puff everyday as my coping mechanism.
I also love pro football. Lol
And I’ve been thinking about starting yoga lessons. I love stretching.

1 Like

I sold all my vinyl about two years ago (mostly classic rock and Motown) to help fund for a graded book (can’t remember which one). Unfortunately, my collection was pretty beat up as I listened to the records quite a bit through my twenties, and I didn’t take the best care of them back then. I used to have my walls lined with album covers.
I kept a few of my favs. The best being a rarer Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers album with the working zipper on the front cover. I also like my Zep III spin wheel album cover.

2 Likes

Led Zeppelin May be the best band ever!! I’m partial to the 4th album as you don’t have to skip a single song. What’s behind the zipper, anything?

1 Like

I don’t collect vinyl, I listen to vinyl… :wink:

Andy Warhol, lol

There is nothing behind the zipper on the actual cover, but later pressings did not feature the working zipper on the cover. The Andy Warhol piece is the first page of the liner notes directly behind the front cover.

1 Like

Wouldn’t one need to collect vinyl, before one could listen to vinyl? :wink:

No, collectors buy and tuck away, wiping it down, loving it and hugging their vinyl… I buy to listen… :wink:

I buy vinyl to get signed, does that count? Ha