Poll: How do you store your books?

I use a mix of long and short boxes. I just went through the process of rebagging and boarding my collection. It took awhile but was long overdue and actually really fun overall

I much prefer using shelving, as opposed to ‘stacking’ my bins. With a shelf, each box can be accessed on its own, without having to move or touch any other boxes. Stacking boxes seems like an inconvenient way to store your books, imo, especially when you want to look in the box that is at the bottom of the stack.

1 Like

This. I thought about getting plastic bins and stacking them for a fleeting second then realized I am pulling comics from boxes almost every single day and shelving is the way to go for me.

1 Like

There are some great options for stackable shelving. I opted for very sturdy shelves with an industrial look, for my PC books.

And a less sturdy (but still very much sturdy enough) for my spec books.

And then I keep my listed books, and other stuff on its way out, on an open table, with each series/character clearly tabbed for easy access.

5 Likes

Mostly short boxes with a few long boxes.

I love a nicely organized set up. Looks great!

I’m not a fan of plastic boxes. Have one for slabs, but that’s it. But, I’m thinking I should switch from long boxes to short and get some heavy duty shelving.

Keep the pics of your set ups coming.

But if you put two back to back the third one has to be back to front or front to front!

That’s a pretty great home setup. Reminds me of how the variant section of our receiving area is in the warehouse.

My problem with shelves is that I need to store things in my home office, including my extra art prints, any books, toys, games, etc. that im selling on eBay, and general home office stuff like records and computer equipment.

I have a standing desk so I’ve been toying with the idea of finding either short or horizontal shelfing and putting shirt boxes under it, but I haven’t found anything great yet. There’s some ikea stuff that would fit but I wouldn’t trust an ikea shelf to hold that many books long term.

1 Like

What’s the weight limit on those shelves @jcLu? I’ve toyed with shelving idea but weight issues always worry me.

Yes, just to avoid spine roll, they also have backing boards and are bagged mostly and you can get more on a shelf or box this way

I buy stand alone shelves, say 2.2 m x 1m x 350mm deep this gives me 5 or 6 shelves in each unit holding about 1000/1200 books or more…(never counted) per unit…i get them from IKEA.
I place against the wall or back to back like a library would and arrange the in alphabetical order as you go in the room.

Oh, I know the benefits I was just being a sarcastic ass about it not being possible to store all comics back to back :stuck_out_tongue:

I can not remember off the top of my head, but, I do know that the shelves for my PC are meant for industrial use and are overkill. The max capacity is like 2400 lbs per shelf, or something stupid like that. The ones I use for my spec books were cheaper and I think they are 600-800 lbs per shelf. The shelves were chosen, more or less, because of the size of the shelves. They each fit short boxes perfectly, front to back, and side to side. No wasted space on the shelves, and the boxes don’t hang over the shelves.

2 Likes

I have no boxes on the shelves, the comics are directly on the shelves and open to pulling them out…I realised I have about 1200 comics beginning with the letter A…

Project DeBIGify is underway. Switching from longs to shorts.

3 Likes

I realize this is an old thread, but would like to see what you all do for storage of your comics in the boxes too. For boxes I have switched over from cardboard to the BCW short plastic boxes which is now about 1/2 my collection. I have about 12k comics so this has been an ongoing process for me. As I am switching over I am re-bagging these using E Gerber mylites+ (1.42 mil) with half-back boards (24 mil) for most books and for some of the more rare books I am using mylites 2 (2mil) with full-back boards (42 mil).

My main question is to prevent spine roll what is the best way to store these in the box? What do you all do? Currently I’m trying out the method of putting them in groups of say 5-10 comics facing forward followed by a similar size group facing backward and alternating that until the box is full. I have no idea if this is a good idea or even if it is if I should be implementing it differently. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Unlike some forums, we see no issues with members reviving old topics. I always disliked on older forums where people got all disgruntled when an old topic or thread was revived.

I use to do the face forward, then face backwards in groups within boxes myself. It works for the most part but then I get irritated when I’m searching through books, makes it harder to see what books when you hit the backwards ones.

1 Like

I am definitely no expert in the matter, but I find that there is no need to alternate in a box. Since the comics are standing up, most of the pressure is on the vertical axis (which should only be touching the board on the bottom and the top of the board on the book behind it). As long as you make sure your books have a very slight lean to the back, do not over fill your boxes, but at the same time fill them enough or block them off to keep them vertical, you should be fine.

Yeah, pack them tight but not too tight… I would normally find a box to stick in so books are vertical and don’t slide and sit at an angle.

But some boxes are wider than the current size bags, boards and books. So I’ve have books over time shift a bit so the front of one overlaps the back of the book in front of it, cause a the slight roll… I think if you can prevent books from shifting within the width of the box, that helps as well. If you don’t mind larger backer boards and bags so there’s more coverage so books don’t overlap each other, that helps as well. Hopefully that makes sense, I bet if I took pictures it would help.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, great to know what others are doing and very helpful as I am re-organizing. I have a decent number of monthly books that I get to read and keep for my collection, but I have had this problem for the past number of years where I am purchasing more with the thought to flip/speculate those extra books, but then I end up just keeping the vast majority of them…much to my wife’s dismay due to the space they take up.