Poyo's FOC Highlight Books for Last Call 02/01/2021

Let the Ponzi schemes begins :joy:

3 Likes

I know this isnā€™t exactly short selling, but uh, if this past week has taught us anythingā€¦ :laughing:

4 Likes

Step 1. Buy book
Step 2. Run into Keanu
Step 3. ?
Step 4. Profit

1 Like

Seems like if you wait long enough outside a Circle K you might

2 Likes

Exactly. Also first apperance of a Character. At this point we all are very sure that there will be a Show. If so, all these characters and there first apperance in any of her books have great upside. I grabbed 2 copies. The cover is :fire:. Just my thoughts.

There seems to be a few places selling the BRZRKR ratio variants (1:50, 1:100, 1:500) for cheap prices. This site is by far the lowest I have noticed though.

1:500 - $169.95
1:200 - $64.95
1:100 - $34.50

https://www.popculturezone.com/new-comics-variants/?sort=newest&page=2

The market must be filthy with copies of these things.

Yupā€¦ cause they can return all the regulars they donā€™t sell while keeping the ratiosā€¦

If the print run is really 650k, I could see 500k being returned. The print run is only that high to get the ratio variants, including the 1:1000 signed copy.

2 Likes

Yupā€¦

Agreed, the Keanu autographs changed everything. I hope they are prepared for mass returns. (Not that I expect the book to be bad, just that I donā€™t think there will be a sell-through at that level.)

It has a good creative team. It might be a fun book. But Keanuā€™s name probably added 600k in sales to it at least. Im sure they are prepared to take a lot back. They know the game.

Diamond just announced a change to the rules for returnable covers, likely this book is a big part of it.

ā€œDiamond is requiring that newly solicited product in 2021 only include a returnable incentive for books that have two or fewer covers as part of their solicitation. Publishers can continue to offer more variants and incentive variants on any books that are not returnable.ā€

They also made this book into a strip cover return towards the end, so retailers have to return the cover to get a refund. The print run may have been huge, but what existing copies remain after the cover stripping might not be that high.

I still donā€™t understand this return system. For LCS that donā€™t sell of their copies, they can return the rest to Diamond for a refund? I understand shops ordering mass quantities for variants, but how does this model work for everybody involved?

Probably a good change.

It is almost entirely only for Indy books and it is mostly on the honor system. A store says they will ā€œdestroyā€ x amount of copies that they did not sell for eligible books and Diamond credits them back. Only certain retailers or books actually require you to strip the cover and mail it back as proof of destruction. Unfortunately, it is a system that is way too easy to game and ruins it for the smaller retailers that actually use it properly.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the clarification, but it still makes no sense to me in terms of what you said. Gaming the system.

Well take Brzrkr for example. You can buy 1000 copies and get the 1:1000 incentive. You can then return 1000 copies of the regular cover and keep the incentive. So you basically paid $2 for a 1:1000 incentive (+ all the other incentives in between). Also, for books that do not require stripping the cover, retailers can just say they destroyed a bunch of books, get the refund from diamond/publisher, then sell the books they said they destroyed to make even more money.

2 Likes

Yup, I was notified of that from a source couple hours ago. I hope it starts preventing shops from buying X amount to get Ratio only to return the books they never intended on selling.

3 Likes

@agentpoyo
Good call on that Legacy Coipel Miles book.
I have a feeling it may be a real heater!
Not seeing many sources for it at this point in the game.
Thank you!

1 Like