Quick Spec: Elseworld’s Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl Spoiler WW84 Beware

I cannot believe the foolishness of DC. Instead of focusing on an event…they dilute everything and run multi-events simultaneously.

Death Metal, DCeased AND now Endless Winter.

They are cannibalizing their own sales…and diluting their own talent.

Stupid. Really, really stupid.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call DCeased an event, BUT yes I agree with you. They had Joker War and Death Metal going at the same time. Now Endless Winter and Death Metal… then they’ll roll into Future State CHARGING $8/ISSUE for Batman. I’m only picking up the Bat Family stuff for Future State. Then moving forward I’m only picking up Batman and maybe Joker. I’m going to dive into more Marvel and get back into Captain America along with my Venom and Thor pulls.

1 Like

I’ve always enjoyed Superboy Prime, even when he’s being a little stinker.

1 Like

I feel like we are hijacking the thread, but DC drives me nuts. They keep shuffling creators around. Why is Tom Taylor on getting 11 issues on Suicide Squad, and Tamaki about the same on WW? Plus putting out no regular titles for 2 months is a terrible idea. A lot of their titles are $4.99 now. Its fine if you are interested in the backup story, otherwise it sucks. Ill spend most of my money on Marvel, Image, Boom, and Vault stuff.

I thought Joker War was well done, and I liked the Ghost Maker arc in 102-105 even more. Tynion is doing a good job building his version of the Bat-verse so far. Much better than the King Batman run, and the New 52 run post issue 17 IMHO.

I should clarify that Bendis taking over Justice League scares the hell out of me. That’s why I will probably skip that title. I am cautiously optimistic about Superman :man_superhero: … I just feel like AT&T is keeping DC open as an IP farm at this point, not the love of comics. Maybe Disney is doing the same, but at least they seem to care.

The way DC has basically illustrated they barely care about the Direct Market says a lot about their focus on comics

2 Likes

I agree with you. That is why I am starting to shift more towards Marvel… but even Marvel has their faults. They now allow new comics to hit Marvel Unlimited after 3 months on the shelf. It just really sucks because DC, ESPECIALLY BATMAN is so near and dear to my heart.

I enjoy Cates, I have ALWAYS been a Captain America fan (Brubakers Vol 5 run was the first book that I subscribed to… there is a story there but it it somewhat personal and long winded.) and I am enjoying Coates’ run.

Marvel Unlimited is completely worth the money if you dont mind reading digitally. I love it. It saves me money on titles I dont want to spend $4 an issue on and prevents me from having to crack open the bags and read my physical copies. Its also great for reading older issues and for quick lookup and reference.

My worry is that it will hasten the demise of the LCS.

Well, that’s already happening I think. I think there are more younger people leaning towards the digital age instead of the age old paper product. There will always be collectors around though that demand the paper issued books but honestly, look what’s already happening in all industries with the rise of Amazon? The age of driving to go shop is dying and dying fast… why leave the house when you can simply click a button to get it instantly or delivered withing a day (and sometimes hours).

The comic store I frequent has lots of teen and twenty something shoppers. The only thing hastening the death of LCS’s are crappy stores that cannot adapt to the times. Floppy books arent going anywhere anytime soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, my LCS has become a Funko store over the last year, basically. They also have a non-Funko collectibles area, a comics wall and back issue bins, and the back half of the store is TCG territory (card cases and tables for gaming). It’s the comic only shops that’ll have problems. The diversified ones are doing pretty well (based on convos with my LCS).

1 Like

If all you do is sell comics and nothing else, you are already doomed… Gotta give consumers more reasons to stop by the shop… This is why almost every comic shop in Central Texas is also a game shop.

1 Like

Ya every time i walk into a musty old store that only has new and back issue comics I just shake my head. You have to diversify and adapt or you will die.

What bugs me is the shop owners who look annoyed that you’re there to “buy” something… it’s like, are you selling stuff or you just wanting to show your amassed collection over the past 4 decades off?

There is a baseball card shop here where the owner is like that. He is genuinely annoyed you would walk into his shop. But its the only sports card shop in town so it stays open.

Sent you a PM.

Did you? I’m not seeing a PM from you.

I almost would like to see another thread relative to this topic…I really can’t understand the mindset of many of the shops/owners I’ve come across. I’m sure having a comic shop isn’t easy, but some of the crap I see just baffles me. If we do another thread, I’ll likely post all this again, but…

1. Just because you own the shop and make the rules…set your hours of operation and stick to them. Quit showing up late and whenever you please. Quit leaving early or taking random days off because you can. Ensure your online media and links are accurate with your hours of operation.
  2. Quit having open areas and slots in your displays-if you see a book on your wall of keys or whatever, replace the darn thing with something…anything. Pay attention! Comics are a visual thing…they are often an impulse buy even. It irritates the hell out of me when I go and look at a shops wall of “keys” and there are gaping open spaces/empty slots, etc.
  3. Update the inventory…even if it isn’t stuff i want. Have a box titled “this just in” or something like that. There is absolutely zero reason for me to go into a shop that absolutely never has nothing new to offer. Some of these darn shops brag about their massive warehouses of comics and inventory, yet it is never, ever available to anyone. I can give a crap less if you have 200,000 books and massive long boxes of comics if they are stashed away. Sure it takes time…but what’s the damn point. Pull out a few long boxes and price them. Stay late one day and boost your inventory. Honestly, for a few of my shops, I would do the work for you for free. Pull out some boxes and I’ll pull the keys for you. Just let me have first crack at them if I want or give me a tiny discount.

I could go on and on…

1 Like