Quick Specs: Strange Academy #1

I think if it’s just a continuation from a previous month they don’t have a cut-off.

There are some books that are years old that show up again when hot…maybe that ravencroft carnage book will be one this month…as well as venom 19…

This is from March of 2020…organized by oldest to newest by release date…

another 9.8 of 1:50 just sold for $850

Oh boy…If nothing comes of these characters that $850 will drop to $250 in a matter of a year…If they do use the characters more, well I guess it could pay off. Not a smart buy at that price if you ask me but definitely a smart sell!

1 Like

The seller I bought two from last week for $5 each now has them for $30. Looks like he had over one hundred. Should have bought more… Oh well, one for the pc and one to sell.

A lot of modern books are going to have a day of reckoning when there’s no more free money.

I’m thinking the same thing. Some will be safe and only see a slight fall if any, but others like you say will have that day of reckoning.

I had ordered the 2nd print from TFAW, but last night it was still letting me add another so figured why not.

The biggest factor for me on this book was the fact that DCBS had a sale on books just after this #1 hit and during the initial COVID craziness. I grabbed all of the variants and extras of the #1s for very good prices.

I think I mentioned it, but you can still get the #1 virgin variant signed from Campbell’s site. It really is a nice cover imo. I received it quickly as well.

Of #1 2nd? I’ve been watching TFAW incl last night and didn’t see it pop up. Great catch. Of note though, even if books are listed as 1 per, the TFAW system will let you add multiples to your preorders, but you will only get one.

I’m curios people’s thoughts on the #1 2nd print longer term.

Typically what has popped later prints was putting a new character on the cover that wasn’t on the cover A. Lower print run, first cover, key book still. Sleeper, Knull, SSB, etc…the later printings that have popped pre-COVID.

No one cared if the printing didn’t have the new character first on the cover, or if it was a DC color swap later printing. Punchline 2/3rd prints did mostly nothing and that character was red hot and each later printings had lower print runs.

Now it seems 2nds/3rds are sometimes popping for no reason. Later printings yes have lower print runs, but that’s always been the case. They are reprints, less ordered then the originals.

Which brings me to SA 1 2nd. All the characters are on the A. So if any pop, first app and first cover is the A. Most are also on the variants and ratios as well as most of the covers were group covers.

I can’t see what would make the 1 2nd desirable down the road and not fall along the wayside like any DC 2nd print color swap which also has lower print run then the A.

Just food for thought. Of course make that quick flip, but i wouldnt get caught holding too many.

2 Likes

@Comp82 I agree with you. I also stand corrected as I only have the one copy of the #1 2nd print. I added the #2 second last night. My mistake. I have so many varied printings now for SA, Venom, and Thor that I’m actually going to have to start a small notebook to make sure I’m not over ordering or missing something.
Not so much from a spec perspective but I’ve taken a bit of a completist standpoint on these series (especially SA given it’s new and easier).

The one reasons I think SA #1 second print is popular is simply that there appears to be a ton of folks who just missed out on it initially. I watched a couple of facebook livestreams including one for my own local shop. This was when the #2 issue came out. I can’t count how many posts/comments/people were stating "do you have the #1?

General readers/comic fans (not that we all aren’t fans-you know what I mean), just want a copy and I think it will yet again drive the price for the near future. After that, I see no reason why anyone would want it over the 1st print.

I don’t think it’s all that, I think there’s something else going on for sure… people are staying home, saving money on all sort of things, gas, going out to eat… etc. It’s not free but we’re certainly in a bubble that’s about to burst. All these moderns fetching high dollars is gonna come crashing down hard cause I hate to say this but this pandemic isn’t over and I don’t think we’ve seen the full effect of what’s to come.

All these people spending their money on comics and other things are gonna be hit the hardest unless they are also stashing cash and saving up for the very long rainy day that’s coming I think. (I hope I’m wrong but I’m not getting the warm fuzzy feeling).

That’s pretty funny as I just did the same thing with Thor and Venom myself. So many 2nd/3rd prints I was losing track of what I ordered and from where.

There could be some of the missing out on 1. I remember there was a little pub when it first came out to the point I grabbed 2 copies of it on release day just to the fact it was so many new characters you never know if one would hit long term. But it wasn’t a ton of pub. Iirc it was during Punchline mania which overshadowed everything.

I think a lot of it is just FOMO as all of a sudden everyone started saying perfect D+ shows and second printings became the rage and it just has steamrolled. Look at what the #2 cover B ended up hitting.

So I had a copy of the 2nd print of strange academy #1 When I hit the “submit order” button (MyComicShop), but when I looked at the invoice it was removed.

That was a first for me. Litterally taken out of my cart as I’m paying for it…

1 Like

Comic mint has them they were cover a couple days ago now $8.95

I think @Anthony showed me he was buying from Comic Mint when they were like $7 and when he clicked add to cart, they were then $8.95. Like, the price went up automagically at checkout… that’s some shady ass shit if you ask me if they’re starting to bump the price in your cart, hoping you don’t notice. :frowning:

3 Likes

I grabbed a couple from then when they were $5.95. They were in my cart for $3.95, and increased to $5.95 when I went to check out.

I seem to be struggling with this book.

I’ve had them removed from my cart during checkout with them before, but never between Clicking order and invoice. Interesting.

I meant to watch them tonight just to grab one for the PC but lost track of time. My LCS won’t get it. Not sure I want to pay comic mint around $15 for one.

Yeah, I had 2 in my cart for $7 decided to add another and the price for that extra one jumped to $8.95. ?!?Really?!?..I was able to get the other two for the initial price but that is a crap way to treat customers. Will try many other places before I go to the Comic Mint. They can be my last, last, last resort.

Well, if anything big is done with these characters good chance the market will look to the 2nd print as one of he big winners to have…at least that is what many are banking on. I bought a total of four. Figured it was worth the small risk. I will just be curious to see how many were printed.

Had an easier time getting the 1:50s & 1:25s. Nobody to blame but myself, but I dropped the ball & thought I had a few more preordered.
Irritates me though as I can already sense this is a book that won’t make it to any shelves.
Been talking this book up since day one & blew it on a damned 2nd print lol.

I picked up a total of 5 of those controversial Superman/Batman #22s in a $2 box. I’ll take the hosing on SA & call it a wash I guess.