Rose Besch

The hype that hit with the Spider-Woman #9 1:25 Rose Besch Variant got me thinking, you know I like to be a little forward thinking when it comes to things like artists. Who the heck is Rose Besch?

I have personally never heard of her, so for a 1:25 variant to hit as hard as it did, from an artist that I didn’t think had any other Marvel or comic book work, then she must be someone to try to take not of. So I did a little digging.

Rose has 30,000 fans on her Twitter Account. Her web site has her working for Loot Crate, Hi Rez, and Mattel to name just a few of the companies. She did sketch cards for the Marvel Anime card series recently.

Looks like she has a cover coming out for Silk #2 (possibly a ratio from the looks of it) which I will certainly be taking note of when it comes time for release (pictured below).

Like I said I like to be a little forward thinking, so I looked and her only previously published comic cover, and what would be her first comic cover, is Bee and Puppy Cat #9 (the A cover) which seems to be a bit of a ghost right about now.

So there you go, if she becomes a trending force in comic covers, and you know Marvel, when they find someone or something that hits they tend to go back to the well, a cover to hunt for and a cover to hunt for.

5 Likes

I dont like the Spider-Woman cover at all. I dont get it.

5 Likes

Agree… the Spider-Woman cover is fugly.

2 Likes

I like the Silk cover above… the Spider-Woman… nope, nope… nope.

3 Likes

Ya the Silk cover is good.

That Silk is fire. I’m hoping to get it at ratio. I can already see shops charging stupid amounts for it. I thought on the spider woman that was her ass

Love it or hate it seems to be the reaction to the Spider-Woman cover. But those that love it seem to be willing to fork over $140 for it. Which was my point. New artist suddenly has a hot comic out of the gate. Worth noting.

3 Likes

Oh for sure… willing to bet most shops didn’t even order enough copies to qualify for the Spider-Woman ratio either…

Peach, Rose…is there a Violet or Honeysuckle putting out covers??

2 Likes

We need a Tulip in there too… :wink:

1 Like

Her leg and thigh on that Spidey cover look like the ham hock I use for my bean soup.

1 Like

Me too!!

All I am saying is think of the potential upside of her early work if she takes off. Thinking back when Mel started talking about Peach Momoko variants on his Variant picks on Chu I thought he was crazy and this stuff would never take off. Not trying to sell anyone on anything but try finding that bee and puppycat issue.

2 Likes

Momoko…Besch…all are mediocre. Is Marvel catering to little kids ?

I want grown-ass adult ART !!

3 Likes

Literal grown-ass

2 Likes

We already get those though… they don’t heat up like the new kids on the block do… until they’re overdone and retailers overuse them on variants, etc.

There are literally thousands of artists that do “grown-ass art”. The thing is, people are looking for something different from time to time. And I may be wrong on this, but for an artist to come out of the gate with a 1:25 variant, and to have it do so well.

And for the record, I own 0 copies of either cover, not to be accused of pumping and dumping, as the kids like to do. Just trying to be Reed Richards here and be forward thinking

3 Likes

I think Momoko is a very good artist. I havent seen enough of Besch to have an opinion yet.

Yup, people like new, fresh and different until the next new, fresh and different comes along… it’s the ongoing lifecycle of cover artists…

2 Likes

I draw awfully… and I mean awfully.
When I see artists where I feel with a lbunch of training, I could do what they do, then I personally go down the path of “meh” knowing that even an artistic talentless individual like myself could get there some day with practice. There are a few in that category out there today producing covers and interiors.
When I compare those few to the masters of pen and ink and sequential storytelling through images, well … that fresh and different dies an instantaneous death for me, except for resell purposes.

1 Like