Sell those Venom #3's ASAP

If you met him in person, you’d likely see that he is genuine. He’s a comic fan, he worked at shops before writing. He gets overly excited about his books as if they were someone else writing is my impression after the few times I’ve met him and a few times were very lengthy conversations before he was bigger now at Marvel.

4 Likes

A lot of people will never meet him in person, but we all get a glimpse of his personality through the social media. He acts like a school boy on the Twitter. Complete clown.
I got the impression that he is not genuine due to his pandering on the Twitter and bookfaces. He is always catering to the SJWs, and once, in one of his many tantrums on twitter, he used some terms that were not endearing to said SJWs. He quickly backtracked when his special interest groups jumped down his throat. So, he acts like he is some person who understands the plight of certain communities, but when given the chance, he has no problem using slurs that denigrate said communities. On the social media, to me, Donny doesn’t come across as genuine. His principles seem lost, to me. M2c.

PS. We’ve had a very similar discussion to this, about the Toddfather. You, Poyo, had told me that you can’t trust how nice a creator is by how he acts at signings or shows, as you thought Todd’s personality was an act to those that considered him very nice when given the opportunity to meet him in person. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Todd on the other hand has also openly admitted to being an “a$$hole” though as well…

In thinking about Venom #3…one thing it does have going for it, and something that will help it retain value is simply the fact that is really stands out visually among other books. There is general comic collector awareness and “I want that book” mentality around it.

Placed with other comics, on a wall at a show, in a shop…it easily catches the eye. That is sometimes half the battle.

Still very, very glad I sold all but one copy when I did though.

3 Likes

Yes. He has. In the context of the board room. He is an arsehole, self proclaimed, when it comes to business. He is a genuinely good guy towards others and his fans outside of the business world, imo. :100:

Which if you met Donny in person, seems like he really enjoys his job as comic book writer and very pleasant to talk to in person.

I think what you see on twitter and such from Donny is getting overwhelmed by direct tweets, questions, etc. I think social media gets the best of some people. I know by looking at some of the things people have tweeted at him, I’d probably lose my shit as well… It’s a reason I don’t even do twitter, facebook and social media myself and I’m not even famous, don’t plan on being either. Shit, 99% of people on CHU don’t even know my real name… and likely never will!

If road rage is a real thing (which I believe it is), I’m sure the same thing could be said about people using the internet at times… people get the best of you and bring out a dark side only seen under such circumstances.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know why folks are so caught-off-guard by the spoilers.
I mean, Venom 2099 #1 (2019) straight up said that Knull was supposed to be dead after the KiB event. However, Alea Bell does sense that Knull is still alive at the end.

5 Likes

Knull will be back. Just like every other mega-villain. It’s typical for them to be killed, thrown into a black hole or other dimension, or any other viable alternative, as they cannot be locked up anywhere.

4 Likes

I think I bought one KIB book other than my normal monthly pull…because I liked the cover…from what I’ve seen in spoilers and talk I haven’t missed a single important moment and made a wise non-investment.

3 Likes

I normally skip most “event” titles from Marvel/DC. They’re cash grabs for the most part outside of their normal running monthly titles and try to lure people in to get all the tie-ins…

3 Likes

Right now I’d rather have a Knish than a Knull

Yeah, ever since Absolute Carnage, I have become really wary of these cash grab trash Tie-Ins.

Around the time I got back into comics back in 2013… I think Infinity was the big Marvel event. I bought the main title and enjoyed it for the most part but soon after that, AXIS was the next one and I had zero desire to read it… then Secret Wars I tried and was like… blah. I bought like the first couple of Civil War II an was like… blah… Then I think I picked up Secret Empire #1 and thought, what am I doing, I don’t need to buy these. I’ll just read them on the Marvel Unlimited app. Since then, that’s what I do as I don’t buy Marvel Event titles unless there’s issues that catch heat… so I can flip.

6 Likes

Secret Empire was the Marvel run that put me off from ever buying big events again. So I guess, they helped me by saving me money? Ha.

1 Like

I quit chasing down Marvel events when I couldn’t stand, “Fear Itself,” and dropped it midway. I read some events now if they interest me and skip others. I don’t really do most DC events as it is unless they catch my eye.

2 Likes

Yeah learned my lesson from Empyre but fell in the King in Black trap because I was buying 3-4 books on my pull anyway so grabbed others but I see lots had nothing to do with the main book.

Like this upcoming Extreme Carnage book/event coming. Just sticking to the main event if it drifts outside of my pulls.

1 Like

Yeah, I made a blog post that asks, “Really, more Symbiotes?”

5 Likes

I have met Cates as well, really nice guy. Who knows about his personal life and I don’t know about his social media posts, but he is definitely affable when it comes to the fan experience at live events

@davidbitterbaum i agree with your post, seems like that’s in Marvel’s DNA - once something gets hot they drive into the ground

1 Like

Mr. Bitterbaum is absolutely correct in making that statement. They protract it and protract it until you feel that sensation he felt when he wrote, “Really, more symbiotes?”

Wait - we just did Absolute Carnage. Please. No. More.