Something is Killing the Children

You’ve been talking about it for way too long… I’ll believe it when you buy it… :slight_smile:

This is my favorite ongoing series, but unfortunately I didn’t get into it until after the first trade was out so I missed out on getting the first couple of issues. Glad to see it growing in popularity each issue, though, even if it means more competition for ordering the incentives!

Boom has been on fire with some of thier series.

I think once & future is fizzling out, but wynd is picking up. I enjoyed folklords and im looking forward to bzrkz by Keenu. There is another coming out in Nov. i think, i remember Morgan talking about it @ the NYCC reed pop retailer discussion.

There are tons of rumors out there as well about Comic Properties thT have been “optioned” but personally i will wait till i hear official word.

Boom has been killing it for a while. With that Netflix deal, plus several series made for a show, there’s going to be several books spiking over the next months/years.

I try to make sure to grab most #1s even if it’s something I don’t plan on reading and the one per stores on most too.

We only Find them When They are Dead and Department of Truth both have big writers behind them and look like they’ve got lots of potential.

1 Like

Yes. And they also have store variants which (in my opinion) kill the spec value and turn it to only being something i would pick up to read or for the art. I read dept of truth, it didnt vibe with me. Reminded me of Ten Grand by templesmith.

1 Like

The thing is, I remember some folks sort of scoffing at SIKTC when it released due to a significant amount of hype as well as the additional added, pre FOC Frison cover. The series wasn’t really a secret whatsoever. Looked intriguing from the start (I personally liked the look of the Jae Lee cover and immediately added it to my preorders from sight alone).

There was plenty of interest and copies available when it first released.

1 Like

I’m steering far away from Department of Truth… so many covers… it’s dead before arrival I think…

1 Like

Store variants don’t kill spec. Sure it decreases value a bit (particularly on the ratios).

It raises the print run a bit. Says there’s an extra 5k-10k books out there. That really going to change anyone from buying the #1 issue of a new hit Netflix series?

Oh, I remember people bitching and complaining when I talked about the Frison FOC cover for issue #1, thanking me for killing the spec on it… here we are a year later… mmm… hmmm… I love how that pre-FOC spec talk killed the spec on this book… I think there was even a comment last year that someone canceled their orders cause he said I killed the spec on the Frison variant… mmm… hmmm… I hope he did cancel them and lost out on some decent profits…

3 Likes

Its about economics. Dept of truth had a 1:10 / 1:50 and a 1:100 ratio. (Feel free to correct me if im wrong)

Normal cover A and B i would say fine, i can assume there are xxx of these incentives which make it worth the price. But when there are store variants , and we know and understand the basic minimum order for them, those ratios become less value.

When it comes to indie and small publisher books though…

always

You never lose when you just go with Cover A for the smaller guys and if they heat up…

1 Like

I agree 100%. Store variants lower the value of some ratios.

But it doesn’t kill the spec.

Book gets optioned, no one is going to care there’s an extra 30-50 1:100s out there (especially since we don’t know how many existed fo start with). Not like they announce print runs.

So in the beginning prices will be down as more plentiful but once that starts to dry up, will take longer on any book with an exclusive, prices will start to rise.

Blue chippers rise no matter what. Look at heavily printed books from the past that still hold plenty of value.

There’s a lot more ASM 300 out there then say Dept of Truth 1.

I do too. I remeber seeing it on twitter or instagram or something and bung like “shit i like that cover” ! And ordered like 100.

I remeber being at NYCC and seeinf the retailer variant and saying “shit i need more of those”.

I beleived in the series from the begining. Thing is, Boom didnt cheapen the first issue with store variants. SIKTC grew Organically. With good writting and art, not gimmicky store covers that get pushed by store owners.

Ironically it’s because of SIKTC that current boom series are getting those exclusives. Ha.

1 Like

Always been a cover A guy myself Poyo. Great wisdom to collect by.

Im not going to go down that rabbit hole. U can tout those that are up in value, but for wvery doollar that book costs there are 20x more that are quarter bin comics. The 90s was gimmick and quantity over quality. No true comparison

False. Its because Boom went to retailers and said “ we have tv deals on books, we cant tell u whoch and whats coming up, but buy them”

Retailers did their reaearch and bought based on artists and such. What pissed me off is that retailers started reusing the incentive art for their variants which killed the value of the incentives.

1 Like

I can use a more modern example if you prefer.

Batman 89 print run will be significantly higher then Dept of Truth.

My point being print run doesn’t “kill spec”. It can lower values as books are easier to get, but as things dry up and hype gets behind a book (Netflix option) even books with a higher print run will climb. Blue chippers rise whether it’s a 15k run or a 40k run. Sure a book may be a $30 book instead of a $50 book as there’s twice as many, but saying spec is dead due to a couple store variants raiding the run 5-15k, I think is a stretch.

You can look at it how you want, I’m looking at it more big picture, but the success of SIKTC lead to the rise of Boom last year, which lead to increased sales of the next several series looking for the next Boom hit, increased their profile, which led to them getting bigger names like Ewing and Momoko and led to the Netflix deal. And as their profile grew they opened up to exclusives as the demand was there. The rise all started with SIKTC is my point.

But anyways we are getting off topic (like most of this thread).

Cheers man :beers: