Spawn #310 Look Ahead

Difference between Spawn and say Marvel Characters is, Spawn is owned exclusively to McFarlane while anyone can own Spider-Man, just go buy Disney stock.

I didn’t say he should stop. If people are still buying, okay… pretty sure I mentioned that already… :wink:

Which is fine. Just like Kirkman, some might not think he’s milking he cash cow with Walking Dead. Still doesn’t change the fact that he’s milking it for all it’s worth…

If Kirkman was Canadian and you were a huge fan, would you also defend him like you do McFarlane? Sometimes I get a sense that you defend McFarlane only because he’s Canadian and you love his work. Seems McFarlane does no wrong in your world. :wink:

Come on, say one thing you don’t like about McFarlane, prove you’re human! :stuck_out_tongue:

Issue #310(Mcfarlane) would be second Ninja Spawn cover (possibly first solo cover). Issue #310(Mattina) shows Gunslinger with the guy he consumed so he looks different. #310(Barends) first comic cover by this artist. On Facebook Barends show the cover and said, “my artwork appears for the first time as spawn cover”. There is a possibility that we see a 3rd app-1st full app of Ninja Spawn in #310. I have to buy all 3.

I think this is the appearance issue order for Ninja Spawn, but hopefully someone can verify because I’m not perfect:
#297 1st app Cameo as Ninja Spawn
#300 1st app Cameo as human? (not sure if the guy appeared before as human)
#301 2nd app Cameo as human? (not sure if the guy appeared before as human) and 2nd app Cameo and Origin as Ninja Spawn

Key Collector says #306 is Origin of Ninja Spawn, but I don’t see it anywhere in that issue. I think they got that one wrong.

This is the cameo Ninja Spawn app we get in #297.

This is the cameo Ninja Spawn app we get in #301.

2 Likes

Why does it matter who owns the characters? That’s has nothing to do with the discussion.

“I didnt day he should stop”
“The story should’ve ended long ago” :wink:

1 Like

In a sense of who’s doing the milking, yes. I can’t necessarily say Disney is milking their characters since it’s made up of many people who own a piece of the pie. A lot of people are making money from it.

McFarlane is the primary person who makes money off Spawn, so it’s just easy to say he’s milking the spawn cow…

Okay, I guess what I should have said was… it’s fine if he wants to keep on chugging out Spawn books and products… we all know the real story ended long ago… :wink:

As a Spawn fan, I’ll stick to the original and Medieval Spawn. All others are just dumb (in my opinion). I’ll buy what I like and leave it at that. Not ALL McFarlane Spawn decisions are good decisions. Like why create an Angel Spawn? Till this day, I just don’t get it.

To each there own, but if I can make a little extra cash on these covers that he’s doing, I’ll buy to resell.

2 Likes

Is there any way to make this a gif, with his head titling left to right as his hands do the milking motion?

That would be awesome. Do kirkman first though.

1 Like

McFarlane has about 50 people working with him to produce every Spawn issue. Todd is not the only one who makes a living off of creating Spawn books.

Here is a quote from Todd himself to explain his reasons why Spawn still exists as a monthly title.

“You try to create characters that will not only endure time, but will also, in a perfect world, actually outlive you,” McFarlane told The Post’s Comic Riffs. “For me, I sort of take a look at a career like Walt Disney, who created that little mouse guy. Now, Walt is no longer walking the earth, but the mouse is. I’ve actually referred to these characters as your creative children. And just like your real children, you hope they outlast you and you go to the grave first.” - Toddfather

2 Likes

50 people? Where did you get that number?

Spawn probably over the past decade averaged what, 10-20k print run per month? $2.99 per issue. 50 people would likely make that a negative revenue stream. There’s no way that book would make money if that many people were actively working on the book for each issue.

Unless that’s counting every single person who works at the Image offices or what not… which I doubt most are putting in a lot of effort to create each issue.

So, I would love to know where you got that number?

But yes, I realize Todd only does some of the work for each issue, he has to get other writers for it (cause his sucks) but my statement was a general statement that Todd owns the rights entirely to Spawn, he’s going to get all the royalties across comics, figures, toys, merchandise, etc… yes, he pays people to work but in the end, he’s the head Spawn milking honcho… :wink:

But again, why you cherry picking to defend him? Can’t you say one bad thing about him? Come on jclu, be human, McFarlane is not perfect, stop acting like he does no wrong… :wink:

I saw it on a YouTube video featuring McFarlane and his creative team. I’m trying to find it now. But, there are at least 12 people named in the book as creators.
Spawn comics are not the only stream of revenue for McFarlane studios, and the Spawn book is Todds baby. Even if it was losing money, I don’t see Todd cancelling it.

I don’t know Todd personally, so I can’t speak about who he is or what his personal faults may be. But, as a comic creator, Todd has a lot going for him. Can you say one good thing about him? That applies both ways, Poyo. (I have stated in the past that Todd is not a stellar writer of comic books).

Yes, we can probably say if he wasn’t President of Image and didn’t have wads of cash, Image would have canceled it due to piss poor sales for a while there when it was hovering around the 10k a month mark. I thought it got even lower at some point.

Here’s the credits for issue #309:

Upper left top is who I imagine actually worked on the book itself. I count 6 names, Todd’s mentioned 3 times in that list. 2 of them are just the additional cover artists. All they did was additional covers. They’re hands are limited to the rest of the book.

The rest of the team looks like the general publishers team, which every Image book has. I wouldn’t go as far as to say they’re part of the core creation team for the title, they’re just publishers, final touches for publishing the book.

So I’d say a far cry from even 12 people… 50 people to 12 to 6… hmmm…

Yeah, probably embellished a bit with whatever youtube video you watched. If it takes 50 people to make a Spawn issue, I’d expect way better quality in each issue. I tried to jump on board at one point when I got back into comics in 2013, the story and everything inside was just awful. I truly think people are only buying these for the covers now… and yes, him hitting issue #300 renewed interest… but I never hear about all the massive readers loving this series… you just see it on comic related sites for his Spawn creations on the covers… :wink:

I liked Spawn back in the 90s, but even then it got boring for me. It really should be a character with mini and maxi series, spaced out. The dragging it out and ongoing of it all is not doing it any justice if you ask me.

McFarlane using Walt Disney as why he’s keeping his character around is… meh. Mickey Mouse has millions and millions of fans while Spawn is probably still in the thousands… huge difference. It’s nice that he’s got such goals and aspirations for Spawn but it will never be a Mickey Mouse. You can probably ask people on all the corners of the earth who Mickey Mouse is and most would know. Ask those same people who Spawn is, probably a very minuscule fraction would know.

I’ve already mentioned his art is great, not all of it but he’s put out some great Spider-Man artwork.

Ifs and buts aren’t a good premise for an argument.

Here is the credits from 305. 10 different names, same as your image. What was that trying to prove? These are just the important creative and publishing names.

That was a giant circle then, seeing as I already said he’s not a great writer.

Anyways. I grow tired of this debate as it is fairly pointless (two adults arguing their opinions).
I think he is a good creator. You do not. We will have to leave it at that, before we end up in another large circle. Thank you for your input. :v::beers:

Like I pointed out for issue #309, I wouldn’t count the publishers names on the lower right side… I’m pretty sure Stephenson’s name is there for every book Image puts out.

Sure the publishers play their role but I’m talking core creative team for the book. Yes he has cover artists and yes, they put in their share of work but I don’t count them as a core part of the team to create the book cause they could have done away with additional covers to still create the book.

Think of the core creative team to make the entire book. I’m only counting 8 names for #305 since Goff and McFarlane are mentioned several times for that issue.

But still a far cry from 50 as you claimed earlier, then 12. . I’m sure the numbers slightly change for each issue but I’m gonna say the core creative team to create a single Spawn issue is going to bounce between 6-8 on average. Remove the cover artists if he decides to stop pumping his print runs and you can minus the 2 or so guest cover artists, making it 4-6 to produce a Spawn issue each month.

So… yeah, whatever Youtube video you saw, either it was take way out of context or Todd is full of shit… or he’s not giving everyone due credit if he does have 50 people working on a single issue. :wink:

I think he could be better. I think his products he puts out now are sub par of his potential.

That wasn’t the discussion. When I mentioned 50 people, I did not say there were 50 core creators. I said there were 50 people that help put out the book each month. That would include Todd’s PA, et al.