Spawn on Kickstarter

Is that true though? Did he make it on his own? I mean, it was really Marvel that made him or gave him the chance to be honest… I really can’t buy that statement if he’s said that because someone who supposedly submitted hundreds of submissions of artwork to be denied for the first year and a half of his early career before he left college…

I guess it’s easy to “do it on your own” after you were making almost a million dollars a year while at Marvel before his departure.

Well, truth is in the ear of who’s hearing … Mr Todd prides himself in being a “self made man” … I won’t dispute that … I just find it ironic that he decides to throw down with a Kickstarter … he has the dough to self fund about any Comic related project …

Somebody mentioned earlier that perhaps the Kickstarter was a portal to somehow funding a new Spawn film … I don’t think so … no Studio that I know of has jumped on a film deal as of yet … the 1997 film cost $45 million to make, and although generally slammed by critics, did make a profit … I’d guess a new film, in order to keep up with movie goers expectations these days, could cost north of $150 million …

I always wonder why, in this market of Studios jumping on Comic related properties, Spawn is still dormant … part of the reason is Mr Todds ego, in that he demands to Direct … part is also his real personality …

Now, maybe another Kickstarter will be forthcoming in order to raise money for a film … I don’t know … but, Mr Todd has the “balls” to try it … (if you know of his Baseball past, you’ll get that reference …)

I was referencing the ‘ego’ banner.

I clearly stated that my reasons were anecdotal and hearsay, and that it was my opinion based on readily available material, and personal experiences. You have misrepresented the use of the sum of the parts fallacy in this scenario, and created your own straw man. :wink:

That very much speaks to my earlier comment on how he is a tough negotiator. Yes, he is a considered a dick within the business community due to the reasons you mentioned. But all your examples are business related. Todd, as an individual, has been pleasant and generous to everyone I’ve met that has a personal Todd story. As I also stated above, it is fine if we all have varying opinions. To each their own. Thank you for sharing yours. :v::beers:

Actually I didn’t. You claimed he’s nice in public, therefore claim he’s a nice guy in private. That’s the fallacy in your claim… Or whatever you want to call it.

Mine is not an opinion …

So… Now he’s not just a tough negotiator but also a dick when presented new info? But I thought we were talking about a humble guy… Usually humble people carry such humbleness into business dealings as well…

So we’ve established several things now…

1. McFarlane is nice at conventions or out in public to people he doesn’t know who might be fans that are likely praising him.
  2. McFarlane is likely someone to avoid when it comes to conducting business with and certainly when he doesnt get his way, turning him into a dick.

My point is simply that with any Human, you generally have 2 sides of a persona, especially with a celebrity of sorts / the rich and famous … the Public and the Private … the Private persona tends to be the real Person …

I’m a very nice guy when I’m dealing with a paying Customer … of course, that’s what pays the bills (or used to anyway) … but, I know I can be a real dick in Private … that makes me a dick, and, I’m fine with that …

So is Mr Todd … by his own admission …

Fans can defend their stance on things of this sort all day long, it does not change anything … once a dick, always a dick …

On the other hand, continuing to defend a personal perception of the dude is tiresome and essentially, a circle jerk, or a dog chasing it’s tail … I’ve been doing this Internet thing since chat rooms / USENET, etc … there are always those that must defend themselves to the bitter end … regardless of the facts …

Just watch what happens with this Post … defense will ensue …

Example :: One of the truly nice guys that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing was Stan Lee … what you saw in person was what he was in private … a very good guy … (other than being a very blatant flirt and ladies man in his younger days)

Now, I knew Adam West for years and years, hell, we wrote Christmas cards to each other … he was the nicest guy on the Planet when he did a Convention, sitting at the table and soaking in Fan praise as he charged good money for an autograph but, he was a total dick in private …

I’ll add :: Don’t ever let that “aw, shucks” way that you see fool you …

That’s exactly the point I was trying to make. I also don’t make assumptions about people I don’t know and yes, met plenty of celebrities who are nice in front the crowd and completely different when not in front the crowd or cameras.

And for the record, I can be a dick in private too… but I prefer a$$hole though… I’m just an a$$! Ask the wife, she’ll confirm such status.

I just wanted to pass the information along and it turn into something else lol. Oh well can’t win them all.

Heh… that’s my bad Gbess… I’ll silence myself for 1 day as punishment. :wink:

I didn’t intend to keep the Todd bashing up. I only started off questioning why someone with the money and resources would use Kickstarter to fund their project.

But yeah, I know conversations can drift over time, which is fine, that’s what they should do and evolve a bit but this one did turn pretty quickly.

Lol. Make it 2 days. Bad Poyo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fine… 2 days…

Alright, I was still curious about how much action figures cost to make and stumbled upon this site: http://www.happyworker.com/toy-manufacturing/custom-action-figures

They claim typical 6" action figures if one is ordering 5k units can cost around $8-$12 each.

So let’s do the math based on some ballpark figures using Spawn Kickstarter backer numbers and up front charges.

So, lets just say for giggles that McFarlane Productions got a company to produce his prototype for $15 each, since it comes with accessories, a bit more plastic since it’s 7" and the packaging (which he could be throwing a few extra bucks in shipping costs to cover the packaging), he’s producing quite a lot so I’d assume it’s another buck or two when buying in bulk.

He’s also got over 11k backers (orders) so we can assume there might be some slight dip in production cost per figure now that it’s well over the 5k mark minimum.

So, if McFarlane was only producing 1 figure and not 3, at $40 each and he’s got 11,250 backers (at time of writing), that’s $450,000.00 total. If he’s paying $15 per figure at the manufacturing level, that totals to $168,750.00 for production costs. That nets him $281,250.00 profit roughly.

So now his backer numbers:

The $40 Backer Level:
4072 backers for 1 x 7" figure at $40 = $162,880.00 revenue and $61,080.00 production costs.

The $80 Backer Level that is 1 figure and Autograph (we’ll bump it at $16 production costs, the plate doesn’t seem like much to produce and Todd scribbling his name is free (maybe a few ink pens he’ll have to purchase to get the job done):
1706 backers at 1 x 7" figure and autograph at $80 = $136,480.00 revenue and $27,296 production costs.

Now the big winner for Todd, 1 figure is $40 but 3 of them are $160, essentially bumping the price to $60 each for the figures. For giggles, let’s just assume these to produce are $20 each since he’s throwing in 2 extra heads as well and the autograph):
5416 backers for 2 x 7" figures at $160 = $866,560.00 revenue and $324,960.00 production costs.

So we add it all together and minus the cost to produce: 1,165,920.00 Total money in based on the backers and based on the units sold, going to roughly be $413,336 to produce the figures. That puts the profit at $752,584.00 and when doing these calculations, the total amount shows $1,476,862.00, so there’s people donating to the kickstarter without recieving a perk or figure. So add another $310,942.00 to the profit total… which is now around the $1,063,526.00 range…

So yeah, this is all assumption but I think it’s a nice ballpark figure to base what McFarlane is likely making off this kickstarted when all said and done. Now, we can assume the production of the comic or cover art will minus from the total but I don’t think it’s going to make that big a dent in his overall production costs. This is also assuming that his 7" figures will be in the $15 range, the more he makes the less they likely cost so I think I added enough buffer to these figures.

All in all, not a bad payday and he’s not even having to put up the costs up front to produce, the backers are… :wink:

I think I’m in the wrong business lol.

Time to order that 3D printer right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes. Someone can very much be a good person, and be a tough, dickish (that seems redundant) negotiator.

Where did you read ‘humble’? That word was not used by myself, or anyone, in this convo.

Any ways. It has been determined that you have your reasons and are not a fan of this project, and I, for my reasons, do like this project. I’m willing to leave it at that. Enjoy your day, Poyo. :v::beers:

Man, you spent some time on that … respect, Brother … :vulcan_salute:

Sorry, it was a word Gbess used that I mixed in. So yes, it was used at one time. My mistake for tagging it to you.

1 Like