Spawn spec... not much mentioned around here

I was told next week for the Spawn 323 cover.

2 Likes

Grabbed a Spawn #310 Barends from the back issue bin. $4 not bad if that’s his first cover art

Is this confirmed as his first cover? Just grabbed a 9.8 CGC of 310 Barends cover for $30. Wasn’t aware it was his first.

1 Like

I can’t find another comic cover anywhere from him before this one, but I can’t confirm for sure. I went up and down his instagram as well and he posts his covers, that seems to be the first. All I saw prior to Spawn 310 were custom art and board game covers. If anyone finds one earlier, please post it!

I also grabbed a 9.8 last week for $26. Never auction your non blue chip slabs, kids.

Edit: I found this posted on his ArtStation and he has every cover posted there with multiple pics including some original 3d modeling . This is his first comic cover.

Spawn 310

I was about 12 years old when I first held a spawn comic in my hand. Until then I had only read Asterix, Lucky Luke and the one or other superman comic. But spawn wow, I had never seen anything so cool and it was the moment when I knew what I wanted to do for a living. And now 25 years and 300 editions later my artwork appears for the first time as spawn cover.

6 Likes

Your post is an example of the best of CHU, well researched and clear no-hype solid facts info that helps collectors and flippers.

Edit - just bought a CGC 9.8 for $50 + $10 shipping. His art style is great and his enthusiasm increases my appreciation, this book will probably hit an app or YouTube channel soon but this is solely for personal. No auctions on ebay currently so just went with cheap bin.

2 Likes

I wonder what the print numbers are for the present Spawn issues. Most of them have 3 covers so I always get the A cover and also the McFarlane variant. Hype around issue #300 would have died off and the print count should get lower as we move on until 400

Is anyone collecting all the spin off series like King Spawn, Gunslinger and the Scorched? I’m just going to stick with the Gunslinger

Going back through Comichron a while ago, it looked like the runs started getting bigger around 310 and have ramped up since. With all the hype around Spawn’s Universe and King Spawn and Gunslinger, the orders for the regular Spawn title are still pretty high. I think it has a lot to do with it still being a 2.99 cover price book. No brainer to order for most shops and I’m sure they all have a lot of Spawn subs.

1 Like

Is there a new character coming in King Spawn #8?

If you are a Spawn fan and haven’t watched HBO’s Animated Series you should watch it. It’s actually quite good. Won an Emmy if that does anything for ya. I like to have my bases covered and pick up any of the earlier keys including what’s been listed already. Covers are very important as well. The later newsstands sell for serious ducats.

3 Likes

especially #137 newsstand :wink:

2 Likes

The last newsstand issue is rare IMO.

2 Likes

I have 1 copy. Wish I had more.

2 Likes

I was going to say he’s going to post a pic of a bunch of them to prove me wrong. Lol.

1 Like

Na.
Now Spawn #1 newsstand…I got a bunch :blush:

1 Like

My original Spawn collection was bought from a local drug store. So the first 50 or so were all newsstands. I of course sold those long ago. Those later newsstands really do sell well.

2 Likes

Spawn variants

2 Likes

Is this dollar bin material? I cannot see any actual sales for the 25th anniversary covers spread across image titles, even if some were quite well done.

Some of these 30th anniversary covers are :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

1 Like

Definitely $1 bin material. Those 30th Spawn covers are not very interesting, and not done particularly well, imo.