Star Wars: The Bad Batch spec

I’ll leave it at this. You will have a hard time comparing America’s healthcare to any other 1st world nation, as the USA is the only 1st world nation that doesn’t have universal healthcare for its citizens. :eyes:
John Oliver did a fantastic, highly informative piece, imo, on how the American healthcare system is broken et al. It’s very interesting, imo.

Actually we do have a universal healthcare, it’s just got this stupid age restriction attached to it… All they have to do is remove the requirements of the age restriction and boom, we got a universal single payer health care system…

Sadly, the amount we spend on military is 5 times the amount the next country spends (China). We could easily knock that down to 4 times and pay for healthcare for all… but you know, that’s bad for “business”…

Okay, back on topic!!! :wink:

John Oliver is awesome…

Okay, back on topic! :wink:

1 Like

It’s as simple as this: Follow the money.

Healthcare is approximately 25% of the US economy. The healthcare industry will lobby and bribe and blackmail any and every politician it can to keep things the way they are. The reason being is that if universal free healthcare gets implemented the healthcare industry and the U.S. as well as countless investors, retirement plans, etc will lose TRILLIONS of dollars almost overnight.

I am in full agreement that our healthcare system is broken. I’m tired of doctors and hospitals overcharging because they KNOW the insurance company will pay huge bucks, then in turn my copay is still huge AND my premiums keep going up. It’s a viscous circle. Same goes for prescriptions. These pharma companies charge more for the same drug here in the US simply because they can NOT because they have to.

What is point of having doctors and hospitals if you literally have to choose between paying rent or being healthy? What is the point of prescriptions if your insurance company comes back and says "we don’t cover that " (meaning pharma company X didn’t bribe us with enough money to cover their meds). Also, the cost ALWAYS the cost. Even why they do cover something it is still crazy expensive sometimes. When I got diagnosed diabetic it was OVER $600 for my meds and supplies, and every year on Jan 1 my copay reset and I had to pay $600 AGAIN. Then at least $100/mo for continued meds and supplies.

I’m not saying socialized medicine is the answer BUT I am in full agreement that something must be done to correct these problems. IF we do settle on single payer universal healthcare then I only request that we cut spending elsewhere to make up for the cost. I’m sure there are military and private contractor (shadow government) pay that can be cut. I am also in full favor of reducing congressional pay as well. There is no reason a member of Congress should make almost a quarter million dollars a year. Ex presidents bring in $400,000/yr. We all know they make deals on the DL forr speaking fees, memoirs, etc. Stop sending them my tax dollars.

/rant

1 Like

Now now… being Ex President, the pension is only $207,800.00 per year, not their full $400k a year salary… :wink:

Also, they get perks, being allowed office space and communications systems paid for by taxpayers. Also free postage for the remainder of their life. And yes, they can’t charge for speaking fees while in office but after office, most make very lucrative deals in doing speeches.

Alright, seriously, back on topic… any more talk that distracts us from whatever we were talking about I’m just gonna delete… :wink:

you mean to tell me that juice box sized bag of red devil chemo the wife received weekly didn’t cost em 6k a pop to mix up?

2 Likes

Nope and the bottle of Advil definitely doesn’t cost $80 either… :exploding_head:

Sorry Poyo, I should have stayed out of this discussion. I’ll try and do better in the future. Sometimes I just get so upset about the broken systems in our country…

It’s all good… as you can see, I dove in myself but yeah, this is not a discussion for this forum. We truly do try to keep the “political” type discussions off CHU… we’ll leave the flaming debates to Reddit or whatever you kids nowadays use to argue on the internet… :slight_smile: