Superman Batman #23 & #24 Batman Beyond Appearance That Predates Annual 4?

Yes…If too much pressure is used that can happen. If not too bad those indents can be taken out. A top notch, fantastic press is usually a finesse job. Almost a work of art :wink:

So I lied. I said I didn’t own any copies but I do. I was looking for my Newsstand copy of New Avengers #7-1st Illuminati to list on eBay. It’s hot right now and I don’t see it going much higher long term and i found a copy of each.

It was of course the last bin I checked. My recent purchases are in 3 long boxes and 5 short bins with a long box or two still not boxed.

Unfortunately they aren’t newsstands and I believe they came in a lot of Michael Turners Superman Batman I got for a steal on eBay.

Given it’s not the actual Terry but a Tim Drake version and they’re not newsstands I’m unloading them as well. I need to alphabetize my new stuff and integrate it into the bulk of my collection. I hate that because it’s a lot of shifting of books and then I have to make new labels for my boxes.

I also need to decide on keeping my newsstands separate or integrating them with their direct counterparts.

1 Like

The New Avengers Newsstand sold for $125 within hours. Paid a buck for it several months ago from an online newsstand honey hole. I should start my own thread since I’m selling a bit here and there.

2 Likes

Do it!!

Funny enough, I had Rocket press my Amazing Spider-Man 300 and I’m on the fence if they “ruined” it or not. The front cover is immaculate, back cover looks exactly the same, but it has a waviness on the cover best described as the way all 1991 Marvel comics do like water damage. Obviously they didn’t dunk it but is has something to do with the pressure and heat. Is this fine or a sign of over-pressing that devalues the book?

That can happen if the press is too quick and too much humidity has been used. Without seeing it I would think it can probably be fixed with another press…with only slight humidity, pressed under heat with not too much pressure for about five minutes or so then turn the heat off and let it sit under pressure for a few hours. The book should look better.

The thing with pressing is you may be able to take out a ton of flaws but sometimes waviness occurs. With a good press there should be none to only slight. If it isn’t severe it probably won’t detract from the value when getting it graded. Over the years there have been a lot of books that come off the press with very slight “waviness” so it may not be a big deal.

If it is really bad contact Rocket and let them know. From what I hear they are pretty good so I am sure they would want to know if there was an issue.

1 Like

If you are pressing with only a heat press and not a dry mount press as well you can get waviness

I don’t press because can’t find a dry mount press 2nd hand here

I haven’t pressed, so others you may be able to speak to this, I’ve also heard that while sometimes pressing can remove things like waviness to boost a grade, but over time that can return in the slab. So I guess while it’s slabbed with that grade, you may get a perceived overgraded situation like a lot worry about with cgc.

I have heard that as well. The only thing I can say is I haven’t had that issue with any of the books I have pressed then had graded. With me, I have the luxury of taking my time and finessing the books. I only do my own as a hobby within a hobby therefor I don’ have a backlog of comics that need to be pressed in a certain amount of time. When I am done I put the book aside and take a look at it over the next couple days or weeks. If a problem shows up or I find I missed something I correct it. Professional pressers usually aren’t able to do that. If they don’t get it right the first time around whatever issue that comes up down the line will be missed. Do you have pics of the ASM #300?

1 Like

Thanks for your input. Yeah, it’s so slight (just at the top, not even along the cover to the bottom) that it doesn’t really bother me as long as it doesn’t detract from the grade. I can post pictures sometime if it would give anyone a better idea but if it’s happened to others at no penalty, not something that irks me on principle.

1 Like

Yeah, post a pic when you get the time but it sounds like it shouldn’t be an issue…

They mainly had to get an indentation out of the top by the ‘25th anniversary’ logo I think, the book had already been redone once due to not really much having been accomplished the first time I pressed. Back cover needs work still but the book was a complete dud before pressing (6.0 at best, honestly) so I’m not exactly complaining unless it’s been ‘ruined.’ Bottom part, and contents/back cover aside from from, are not affected by this waviness.

1 Like

So I listed and sold my set for $25. I don’t think it’s going to maintain value given it’s not the actual Batman Beyond Terry McGinnis.

Also the title states 23 & 24 it’s actually 22 & 23.

Separate from the Terry/Tim debate, I’ve never been a big fan of first in continuity appearances. They rarely hold a lot of value as most people just want the first app.

2 Likes

This books seems to be benefiting more from the intense debate over it versus anything else. There are some downright nasty comments/arguments/ongoing tirades over it on instagram/reddit, etc.

As long as it continues to produce drama…it will continue to sell.

1 Like

That’s just sad… it’s comics people… no reason to get your panties all knotted up over!

Agree. Another factor as Batman Beyond 1 keeps climbing, and out of some people’s budget, they look to what they see as the next best thing.

Harley had that once people started not being able to afford BA12.

Why I don’t wear any.

3 Likes

Cant get them in a bunch if you aint got them on. Unless they are all knotted up in the corner

1 Like