Tales of the Jedi

Is that a magazine? If so, fuh dat shit

1 Like

Yes, they’re magazines. They’re also like $2 spec.

1 Like

Magazines count, I’d argue. Look at 2000 AD, it’s a comic magazine!

1 Like

They are cheap.

I’ve never understood the lack of interest in comics that appear in magazines. It seems like prioritizing form over substance.

1 Like

Totally. Part of it is that bagging/boarding/storing magazines is a pain in the ass. The other part is that the market doesn’t really seem to care much about magazines either. I’m sure there are exceptions.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that most databases don’t list magazine appearances. If you look at somewhere like comicvine, the characters are listed in the Dark Horse Comics 7 listing, but none of the Dark Horse Insider listings have characters listed.

So maybe the information is just not as readily available in the market.

Also to my knowledge magazines can just be printed and reprinted and reprinted… if true, sort of takes the collectability out of them for me. I don’t seek them out myself but still have a few cool ones in the collection.

I mean so could a comic. The likelihood that Dark Horse Insider 15 gets reprinted right now seems slim.

1 Like

Yes true but they also normally stick to the rules of 2nd, 3rd and additional printings. I don’t think magazines do this.

Well, if the past two years have shown us anything, everything is fair game. Although comic books will be the first choice for most collectors in regard to first appearances I do think there is plenty of room for magazine “comic firsts” to take hold. The interest is there and I can see it growing over the coming years.

1 Like

@drunkwooky

It looks like CBSI is talking about Tales of the Jedi and Dark Horse comics #7 among others. You are definitely a Star Wars comic influencer! Kudos!

The other part is slab-ability. If it’s appealing in a slab, I think that goes a long way. Look at Previews for Miles. If he wasn’t smack dab on the cover, no one would care all that much.

Same with SiKtC Previews catalog order form. All about the cover.

Star Wars insider mags do really well if they are an early cover appearance of characters from the cartoons.

Hahaha. I’m proud of that if only the bring the brand of “influencer” down a little hahaha

1 Like

I’m a bit confused by the above. Too Many chickens and eggs.

Is DHI 15-18, or 15-20 contain TotJ 1, 1&2, or 1-3?

@Alana says 15-18 issue 1. @drunkwooky says 15-20 is issues 1&2.

Can someone articulate which issue of DHI contains what portion of issues from TotJ? Maybe a format like this:

DHI 15 = TotJ 1.1
DHI 16 = TotJ 1.2
DHI 17 = TotJ 2.1
DHI 18 = TotJ 2.2
DHI 19 = TotJ 3.1
DHI 20 = TotJ 3.2

And do all DHI issues predate the release of corresponding TotJ issues?

Thank you!

I can work on comparing content.

Dark Horse Insider 20 (Aug 1993) predates TOJ 1 (Oct 1993). From a “first” analysis point of view, I feel that simplifies things a lot.

For @D-Rog, here’s the TOJ portion of Dark Horse Insider 15 (2 pages):

Features:

Arca Jeth,
Tott Doneeta,
Cay Qel-Droma,
Ulic Qel-Droma.

Published 2/1993.

Tales of the Jedi 1:

Features:

Arca Jeth,
Tott Doneeta,
Cay Qel-Droma,
Ulic Qel-Droma.

Published 10/1993.

3 Likes

Continuing this project for @D-Rog.

Dark Horse Insider 16 continues the Beast Wars of Onderon story with the next two pages of Tales of the Jedi 1. No new appearances that weren’t there during Dark Horse Insider 15:

Tales of the Jedi 1, pages 3 and 4:

1 Like

Dark Horse Insider 17 has pages 5 and 6 from Tales of the Jedi 1. Apart from showing the “Dxun Beasts” and discussing the history of the Onderonians, no new appearances on these two pages.

Tales of the Jedi 1, pages 5 and 6:

1 Like

At this rate my guess is DHI 18-20 will just be more pages of TotJ 1…nothing from issues 2 or 3.