TFAW Status

My assumption is that the shipping charge you pick is the one charged. If you get a different charge then that definitely isn’t right.

My comment was directed at the fact that people oftentimes complain about shipping but don’t take into account all the other items that go along with shipping a comic book.

With TFAW, I always pick the cheapest (monthly) shipping OPTION not CHARGE. The charge is variable, probably known to TFAW and their shipper. The charge gets adjusted based on how books are processed and shipped, and also how many books are in a shipment.
I have books that have been out for a while that are still not processed or shipped. Of these, some get shipped or not, resulting in multiple shipments and thus multiple charges.(on Ebay there is an advantage to offer ‘combined shipping’). Also, the rate is not comparable with similar online retailers (I understand that this depends on the deal between the retailer and shipper), which I am sharing, NOT complaining about.

As far as taking into account other factors in shipping the book, frankly thats on the seller, and I dont mean that in a rude way ! Thats something I figure out in my strategy while selling, and its on me to adjust accordingly. The point here, is that I dont tell my buyer that the shipping charge may be adjusted based on whatever factors. Ex. I sell two books and say I am going to ship by GoodMail. One of the books arrives late. I apologize to the buyer, let them know the book is late, and ship the books together in one package. I dont ship two separate packages AND charge the customer twice for shipping. If I do decide to ship two separate packages, I eat the cost of the second package, because I WAS NOT CLEAR ABOUT THIS IN MY SALE ! For TFAW, it is an unwritten rule, that I accept, that shipping charge and packages may vary !

1 Like

Just to be clear, my comment wasn’t directed at you, just was making a general statement about shipping costs. I agree, it is on the seller. If the seller messes up and doesn’t calculate shipping correctly, its on them.

I think the high shipping cost is because they are adding in the cost of insurance. This way, they are reimbursed for the amount they refund the customer for damages.

1 Like

Not taking it personally; just explaining my POV. I’m probably writing for many.

1 Like

First, I’ve heard of insurance on TFAW shipping; is this true ?

I’ve heard the same thing about the cost covering insurance. I only had damage once with TFAW and they refunded me promptly. Nonetheless, I do think insurance should always be an optional feature, not forced. If forced, then the seller should be covering it (after all, they are protecting themselves), but that’s just my opinion.

I don’t disagree with you @DocCRR on the shipping charges. They can be tough to swallow sometimes, but I price that in to my buys so even though I will sometimes roll my eyes when I see the shipping charge, I just chalk it up to it being the price I pay to access some of TFAW’s offerings.

2 Likes

Still not convinced on the insurance part, maybe Brendon can chime in if he wants to. If true, it should be transparent. TFAW has been good to refund charges for damaged items, but I’ve also overlooked many damages, because I felt bad bringing it up often. My latest ratio variants came damaged, but …I just accepted it. I have them sitting under a pile of books to hopefully flatten them. It helps that I dont look at grading or know much about it.
Not sure if its DHL or USPS (after being handed off to), but the handling part is horrendous.
As I mentioned, I continue to order from TFAW in spite of my frustration, and I accept the charges as you do. The trade off is that I get my hands on a ratio variant I like, at an affordable price.
I posted some rules for newbies regarding TFAW that may be frank but are all true. I still stand by them, saves me frustration !
I was just airing my experiences and offering some suggestions. Not intended to TFAW bash ! I still encourage ordering from TFAW. TFAW can do whatever it wants !

You’re one person selling a book online. You’re not brick and mortar shop(s) with employees and overhead. Most comic sellers online are individuals not actual shops with overhead. I have a very simple fix. Don’t Buy From Them. Paying $20 something for 50-100 books isn’t expensive when considering all things. Sure John Smith on eBay charges what it costs to ship but uses recycled shipping supplies and has no overhead.

1 Like

You use to be able to get 12 comic books shipped 12 different times a year for $15 from a company with large overhead, I miss direct mail subscriptions.

2 Likes

You know what’s really upsetting? The amount of food I use to be able to buy for $100 now seems like it’s $200. World is changing. Inflation and costs are skyrocketing across the board… nothing we can do about it, just gonna have to deal with it and adapt!

3 Likes

I miss 200 transactions & $20K :rofl:

4 Likes

It will hurt the little people the most

2 Likes

Ignoring the fact that you dont work for TFAW or know their business model, your suggestion to not buy from them is ‘ridiculous’.
Is there anywhere on TFAW that specifies that your shipment could be broken up into multiple packages without any specific reasoning, and you get charged shipping multiple times ?
Also, why compare TFAW selling experience to my Ebay experience, when there are other retailers with both B&M, and online stores, who ship in a more efficient manner (packages/cost) ?
Also, your opinion on ‘J. Smith’ s selling practice is WRONG. There is overhead - materials, transportation, etc. - just not as much as TFAW. Also using recycled materials, if usable, is limited.

Bottom line: More clarity is needed on TFAW shipping charges; I understand this and continue to buy from them; I also am not happy about it !

My suggestion to you is to understand the issue clearly before offering suggestions.

2 Likes

I dont clearly understand if TFAW’s shipping cost is by the no. of books, the weight of the books, a flat rate, etc. or, of their handling charge. There’s mention now of an insurance charge being built in (not confirmed). But frankly I dont care ! I do believe they could use a better shipper to lower costs and have better handling, but thats up to TFAW.

I do see an expected shipping charge, which I go by. My issue is when books, that are out for a while, dont get packaged together, and are shipped in multiple shipments resulting in multiple charges. These multiple charges add up over time. TFAW should address this; again its up to TFAW.

I still patronize them for reasons I specified in earlier posts, thats on me !
Clear as mud ?

Don’t let this get too personal. If you all need to, take this back and forth to PM/DM please. Thanks.

1 Like

Nothing taken, nothing intended, personally !
Not worth PM, because I believe its a more general issue not an individual one.
Educational !

They processed up to 1/5, except most of the hot books are missing. Even stuff ordered pre foc.

Tfaw refunded my missing order today much better customer service experience than I had on Monday.

1 Like

I emailed them Sunday. Haven’t heard anything. Got Max, I guess he is a new rep. Basically told me I need to wait more to hear what is going on with my latest order that had missing books. Said that they are only up to 12/29 for emails.

So, waited over a month for November order. It ships, wait two weeks for it to be delivered. And now need to wait for longer for them to get to my email to respond about issues that are missing. And then need to wait for them to contact the warehouse and then wait for the warehouse to email back.

(12/14 invoiced order for 11/21 books that shipped on 12/22 received 12/30 and emailed 1/2, so I stand corrected. Took 8 days to arrive)

2 Likes