The best comics to invest in

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the top books that are likely going to increase in value (but that are still reasonably priced). Here’s my list of books.

• Conan the Barbarian #1
  • Amazing Spider-Man #300
  • Ultimate Fallout #4
  • Something is Killing the Children #1
  • Batman Beyond (Limited) #1
  • Swamp Thing #37 (Vol. 2)
  • Conan the Barbarian #23
  • Savage She-Hulk #1
  • Saga #1
  • Young Avengers #1
  • New Mutants #98
  • Thor #337
  • All New Marvel Now! Point One #1
  • Usagi Yojimbo #1
  • Detective Comics #880
  • Thor #1
  • Iron Man #282
  • Marvel Super-Heroes Winter Special 1991
  • Batman #6 (New 52)
  • X-Men #4

Would love to hear your thoughts about my picks (or see your own lists).

8 Likes

I disagree with most of this list. Yes, most of these are good/important books. But almost all of them have had huge jumps in price already due to speculation.

3 Likes

I actually think the list is good. But like Sporto already stated, the values on some have gone way past reasonable priced (IMO). This list makes sense for 2019-2020 prices. Thanks for sharing the content though, I’m checking out your blog and notice you cover more than just books as well.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums!

I see 4 guarantees short and long term on this list

Batman beyond
UF4
Young Avengers 1
SiKtC 1

I’ll add my write in my own #5

EotSV2

Can’t say the rest won’t pan out…but more long or short term…or too much of a fad and risky.

Can’t go wrong buying in on these 5 at today’s prices, in other words.

I’m hoping for a facsimile of Conan the Barbarian #23 and Swamp Thing #37 (Vol. 2) at some point, so I don’t have to drop big money on those books. If it doesn’t happen within the next 2 years, then I’ll probably grab those.

I could be wrong, but Tec 880 is just a cover buy. I’m not big on cover buys. It’s a screen shot away from being viewed whenever I want to appreciate it.

The rest of the list is full of important/key books but many of them are at all time highs, and we are coming out of the “free money” pandemic comic boom. Couple that with potential MCU / comic book movie fatigue and you could be swallowing a poison pill.

1 Like

A good list, welcome, and thanks for taking the time to provide it. I will def check out your rationale/post at a later time. Certainly they are all nice books and items to have in a collection.

I don’t want you to think that by commentating or stating thoughts otherwise that it is being negative or contrary just for the sake of being contrary.

I personally don’t think Savage She Hulk is worthy of attention or a high price/investment. Certainly, the anticipated show will bring her to the limelight a bit, and it has sustained gains because of that, but I don’t believe long term it is book that should be invested in or really sought after. If someone had it before now…great…but I think it’s at its potential already.

I feel a bit of the same way about Xmen #4…I love Omega Red…but feel like even if he does show up, it just isn’t going to become an investment level book. He’s a cool villain, but not any better than someone akin to Taskmaster (who I like even more) and we’ve seen that book come and go and hit its peak.

I’m fond on the Conan pick. Long term appeal and there are folks that are fond of Conan outside of the realm of just comics who want this in their overall collection.

Yes, please don’t take my comments as negative or dismissive.

Also,I’d add some Spawn to that list. That title is highly under-rated. 1, 2, 5, 9, etc.

I actually like Gwenpool’s first app(s) (Howard the Duck #1 and even Deadpool’s Secret War #2) as well as Punchline’s (Batman #89/Hell Arisen #3). Both characters have a following, both characters aren’t going away (IMHO), and both characters have a lot more growth in them.

2 Likes

Don’t invest in moderns that’s like investing in lottery tickets, invest in Silver and Bronze keys. More recession proof, less competition in selling, quicker sales when selling, less guesswork, bigger and steady gains, real rarity.

19 Likes

This all freakin’ day ^^^

3 Likes

So buy up all the Stegron first appearance?

1 Like

Punchline is a favorite of mine. I’ll collect her no matter what as part of the Bat-Community. Also, in the DCEU HQ ans Joker aren’t a thing. Gives an opening for her.

1 Like

Yeah, given how Harley has turned into a bit of an anti-heroine type (which is totally fine), I really like that we have someone like Punchline. I’m just hoping we see more of her (and not just in prison) after the Joker series plays out.

1 Like

Yes and no. Depends on the character and demand. Miles isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Doctor Aphra is a sure hit I think long term. Moderns are great for flips but those are the more recent ones while the ones a few years old or a bit older that have steady climbs are great if you got them cheap and holding on for the long term gain.

Just like the 1:25 for Darth Vader #3, I got mine at cover price. I could sell them now and bank on my ROI and definitely bank if I got them graded cause they’re likely 9.8s but I might as well hold a bit longer. Maybe dump one when she gets her show or shows up in a movie, keep one cause I already made my money + a bunch more on my initial buy in.

2 Likes

unless your quick flipping, you need to be smart with modern spec, dont buy every 1st app.

The best books to invest in are books that I am selling

2 Likes

Getting these at cover price isn’t investing.

Totally forgot about this.

That book is infamous for the back cover color rubbing off onto the backing board. Especially when sitting up against it for years.

So if your copy is stuffed into a long box with a backing board…highly doubt it is a 9.8.

Better go check on it…

1 Like