This will make Disney turn up the heat on Disney+

Everything stated here is spot on! (canning services, recession, can’t afford ______, etc…)

Created a new topic so we don’t clogged up this one.

Hopefully @agentpoyo and @Anthony don’t mind.

2 Likes

Part of the subscriber loss is accounted by Russia as they cut service to them.

2 Likes

Interesting point; hadn’t considered that. I watch quite a bit on Netflix, but am a tiny bit annoyed that the upped their price again for…something, I guess. I like Disney, but there just isn’t enough content on there to drive me that direction, other than their one premiere series at a time every few months now.

Wall Street has already accounted for the Russian loss. They didn’t expect losing subs in big markets like US.

Commercials might be coming :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Netflix’ problems have been on the horizon for some time - stagnant subscriber growth, high production costs and high customer pricing sensitivity. They’ve largely been fuelled by a Wall Street debt binge, with financiers betting that they will be the long-term global replacement for cable, but the realisation that isn’t likely to happen is going to cause them a lot of problems. They’ve backed themselves into a corner by trying to maintain a premium content proposition, so adding commercials will be a problem, as will cutting production quality. So expect them to focus on stopping people sharing accounts in the short term, and focus on growing international audiences in the medium term.

3 Likes

I like the trashy dating shows on Netflix and funny baking shows. I haven’t been into much else on it lately, tho.

2 Likes

Is it cake?? Awesome!

4 Likes

They spend $17b a year on content. I don’t see how that is sustainable other than continued growth. The fact of the matter, there is only so much time in the day for an average consumer. Add to that the increase in competitors and Netflix has had to know of a drop off for some time. The main reason they’re getting slammed today is because they expected 2.7 million NEW subs. They lost 200k. That’s a huge miss on their projection.

1 Like

What comic and TV stuff is political from Disney ?

And the password sharing.

1 Like

My kids love is it cake. Sucked me in as well.

1 Like

Without AD $$$, all content providers will have to rely on good content to attract and retain customers - like HBO, Showtime, etc. In one way, hopefully this means that they have to stay on the ball regarding the quality of their content, more competition - good for consumers (quality and pricing). Theres only so many consumers out there, before numbers plateau.

Now if they start including ADs, they have more flexibility. I believe the rumor is that Netflix is considering this. Disney has an advantage with their properties to build on. Netflix not so much.

My two cents …I still subscribe to Amazon Prime only - no time for all the other channels, and not worth the price at this time.

Netflix is buying a lot of foreign content, especially Korean and seeing what bites. With that, Netflix is going to start dropping episodes each week like a Disney, because they keep subscribers that way. People will binge a show and then cancel. Reup when new shows come out. Stranger Things will be episodic and not a big drop all at once.

Not sure how “sure of a thing” that Jeff Smith’s Bone was on Netflix, but that was apparently dropped today from Netflix

“Is it Cake?” was a hoot of a show.

Disney may be powerful, but they are getting one hell of a smack down in Florida right now.
Dissolving Disney’s self governing status and the inherent tax benefits it provides is a very big deal.
Sure, legal battles will ensure, but shareholders hate even more uncertainty.

4 Likes

That bill is headed to the governor right now. I have a feeling it will get signed.

Too bad it doesn’t go into effect until June 1 2023. The sooner the better.

3 Likes

“According to lawmakers, there’s around $1 billion in debt on the balance sheet that taxpayers would become responsible for should the special district get absorbed, leading to higher taxes.”

Ouch for FL residents!

2 Likes