This will make Disney turn up the heat on Disney+

Honest question, not trolling, but why?

Smells like retribution to me.

Of course its retribution. Completely political. A reminder to these giant corporations (any of them) that if they want to get involved in politics then they had better understand that there may be ramifications for it. If your business gets special privileges because of politics, then you will have to answer to politics at some point.

Sure there are sides to this and stances, but none of that really changes the end game with regards to it. Disney has reaped massive benefits from this 55 year old deal. Disney has a massive lobbying presence. Disney made the wrong folks angry and that is how politics work.

You always have to be mindful of who you decide to go to bed with and what that will mean in the morning.

1 Like

100% retribution, which i assume will be part of the lawsuit.

1 Like

Disney should just pack up their whole Florida operation and move Disney World to another state.

i doubt they will move, but they could shut down everything in florida and crash the orlando and state economy, state needs that money that comes from travelers. even for a few months would do major damage

3 Likes

Disney can definitely move to another stateā€¦IFā€¦
They can find a way to buy up 27,000 acres via fake companies, shady/secret deals, for pennies on the dollar from poor folk and uninformed sellers, like he did back in the day via back door politics.

Go to bed with dogsā€¦wake up with fleas.

2 Likes

the people in the counties around disney park will see their property taxes increase 20% because of this

A CNBC article stated, ā€œFlorida law dictates that special districts created by the legislature can only be dissolved with a majority vote of the districtā€™s landowners. For Reedy Creek, thatā€™s the Walt Disney Company.ā€ Seems like a big loophole.

1 Like

Investors/shareholders donā€™t care for uncertainty. They donā€™t care for legal battles or any negative attention.

Aside from anything elseā€¦that alone makes this issue impactful to Disney regardless of the final outcome.

1 Like

I live in FL, near Disney. The governor is an idiot and trying to be a macho man about this situation cause Disney hurt his feelings. This situation will only make Florida worse off, with Disney not paying for the roads, police, fire, etc etc that they have been under the legislation. Along with moving native debt from Disney to the locals ($2 billion). It will also make Disney mad, and they could just cease operations here in Florida which would absolutely destroy the economy (since tourism is the highest % of revenue here) (Disney isnā€™t just the parks, they have alot of high tier hotels in all central Florida). This is a lose-lose situation for Florida all because the governor got his feelings hurt.

12 Likes

Disney once considered opening a park here in the Saint Louis region. All the jobs and tax money they could bring would most likely be welcome here. Just saying. And as @Bluecontroller points out, this is a dumb situation and quite lose-lose due to a governor who is a petty man-baby.

4 Likes

I think this is going down the politics path so I would ask for this to cease.
This is how problems start on the forum.
Because I, for one, feel completely different. And Iā€™ll end it at that.

2 Likes

@Bill makes a good point that this can only turn into a mess. To try and help get us back on topic to some degree, will Netflix cracking down on password sharing hurt it more than it helps it and possibly push more folks towards Disney+ or other services?

1 Like

Too many streaming services. The bubble is burstingā€¦

CNN+ is shutting down, after less than a monthā€¦ lol

2 Likes

I have to ask are comics not allowed in elementary schools in Florida because of the new bill you all passed?

But itā€™s shutting down because of Discovery merger nothing to do with steaming numbers.Discovery cleaning house.

CNN+ was a steaming pile of horse dung from the get-go but I agree with youā€¦ there are too many competing streaming services these days.

Netflixā€™s new content has not been up to snuff IMO and they have been upping subscription fees every year. Now theyā€™ve started the user-sharing crackdown.

3 Likes

It a selective thing - you only have to agree or have the same views, as the person in charge.

I think eventually every streaming service will have to crack down on password sharing - not sure how, may be tie it to an ISP, etc. - but otherwise if the content is not up to snuff, and with the no. of streamers out there, they are all going to hit the proverbial subscriber wall.

1 Like

Iā€™m in Saint Louis, not Florida, as I mentioned. I have relatives there and every single time I visit the humidity almost kills me.

There are arguably too many streaming services. Some survive by having a good niche, others are merging, some are dying. We miss you, Quibi. I mean, I donā€™t, but someone does.