Tiny Onion Studios

I’m also unclear on what will be digital and what will be print. He refers to variant covers in his newsletter. Also, on the signup page there is the blurb about “6 variant covers” “shipped directly” to Founding Member level subscribers
TinyOnion

I’m mostly interested to see where this goes. A writer of several popular series taking this path to do his own thing. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a digital-only thing.

I think, and I could be totally wrong, that the subscription is for the subscriber only newsletters, early access to stuff, and free merch.

I didn’t read it that it included a substack subscription. I’d assume that subscription would go through them.

I admittedly haven’t read the links posted above yet to see how substack works.

Also he mentions in the newsletter he would have the publishing rights.

So I assume maybe a print and digital format like he does with Razorblades.

I’m assuming though Substack gets it first though.

All speculation on my part though.

If Bendis takes over Batman I’ll likely stop pulling it. Please PLEASE let Taylor take over Batman, or entice Snyder back to DC.

2 Likes

Scott Snyder is using Substack in a different way. Substack trying to corner the writer’s market?

ETA: Older article, but interesting…

1 Like

I saw this earlier today as I’m all over substack and I’m all for Tynion breaking out and doing his thing. RAZORBLADES magazine has been really inspirational as a writer/creator and the fact that Substack has also released a statement that they will be altering their format, catering to comic creators! I’m all in!

No way it’s Snyder. He has Amazon now and he won’t do more Batman without Capullo. I am also apprehensive for Bendis – I’m not a hater, but he is so hit or miss. Taylor seems like a logical pick for DC’s biggest ongoing.

2 Likes

Bendis is incredibly hit or miss, and with me personally he is more miss than hit. His Justice League is very inconsistent and I can’t get into Checkmate at all, I feel lost. I’m honestly about to cancel my pull on Justice League to make way for Cates’ Hulk.

Tom Taylor would be the dream team, wouldn’t he. Probably wouldn’t have him do Nightwing and Batman though.

Actually, and I assume people are going to throw things at me after I suggest this (because reactions to her run were binary, you either loved or hated it), but given all the work done to really incorporate the Bat family into the book, I wonder if someone like Kelly Sue DeConnick would be neat. I really liked her Aquaman run; it was pretty different from Johns, Parker, and Abnett in that she really explored both the family and mythology aspects of Arthur’s world.

2 Likes

I’d take Tynion over Cates any day

1 Like

Yeah, I prefer Tynions original characters compared to Donny’s retconned 80s 1-off characters that show up for 1 issue.

1 Like

I can only imagine how tough it must be to be a writer and have to get everything green lit by editorial or corporate overlords who think they know better than everyone else. I don’t blame him in making his decision, but damn I am disheartened.

Also, am I alone in thinking that Robbie Thompson would do a good job with Batman?

I kinda feel bad for you @ein because you just started reading Batman and now there is going to be a big change.

1 Like

Yeah, but I’m enjoying it so far so I’ll definitely give it a go.

They’re hot and resell because they’re good. These titles being optioned is mentioned a lot because they are good enough and can plausibly be made into TV or movies. They’re also good enough to collect as stand alone runs of comic books with or without the tv spec.

There are A LOT of indie titles that don’t resell and aren’t good. Tynion doesn’t write any of those.

He’s not leaving DC, per se. He just didn’t sign an exclusive contract with them. He can still freelance for DC while he works on his own books too.

Im not paying $250 no matter what variant comics they promise me.

5 Likes

Yep. You’re 100% right. I interpreted that incorrectly, and JT4’s follow up email showed that was a common misconception.

Sounds like he wants to have printed comics if it makes sense, but the paid subscriptions are for digital books, outside of the signed freebie and 6 exclusives. None of the normal titles are included.

1 Like