Tiny Onion Studios

That’s not always the case. Lots of books heat up and then die quickly or slowly over time. SIKTC didn’t really take off until almost a year after it was released. Most of his books are now doing great because people are likely pumping his stuff and from his Batman days and what really seems to be after Punchline debuted. All a writer needs is a hot book to take off and they’re sometimes golden from that point on. Still doesn’t make everything they touch gold…

Studios option just about any and everything. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re great and everyone is going to enjoy the writing or story.

Okay, didn’t say he did. I’m confused why this would even be brought up? Seems kind of pointless to bring to the discussion. Maybe I’ll just say, there’s a lot of Marvel titles that DO HEAT UP and kind of suck… but Tynion didn’t write any of those either. :thinking:

1 Like

I researched Substack a bit and made a post for those who are confused:

4 Likes

Although it is Marvel and not DC, I’m sure stuff like this happens over there as well. Kinda helps you to understand Tynion’s decision a bit more.

This also eases more annoyance I have with Johansen.

1 Like

Disney’s check for $5k won’t even cover a stay at their new Star Wars hotel.

4 Likes

It blows me away that Starlin was given more money by WB for KGBeast in BvS than he was initially given for Thanos. I didn’t even realize that was supposed to be KGBeast! Not very recognizable and I guess I never caught the name.

2 Likes

Marvel needs to payback all that Disney money. They can’t afford to pay the big checks any more.

More artists on Substack. The Scottie Young Variety. $300 for Boss Level - not feeling the value on that one.

2 Likes

So since the nice house on the lake is creator owned, can he bring it to substack instead of DC black label for the next ‘season’? Hmm I wonder.

If these are for digital copies and no actual books they’re a group of idiots who have no idea that physical copies sell while digital just sits there. Especially coming from a writer whose big draw is all the new characters being introduced. I’ve liked everything by him except the more than boring SIKTC.

1 Like

He said in a follow up newsletter that everything going to substack will be also done in print and will be in shops.

He has the publishing rights and hasn’t finalized the publishing deal yet.

1 Like

I’m going to guess, and it’s a complete guess, is that Tynion may own the IP, but DC has the publishing rights deal for it.

Tynion is the master of writing horror books ,but his other works are decent at best. His Batman run hasn’t peaked my interest in the slightest.

2 Likes

Marvel & DC are going to have to give creator’s and their decendants some equity in the characters that they create, otherwise they won’t have anyone in their bullpen.

McFarlane and the Image founders really were/are the catalyst for the future of the comic book industry.

2 Likes

This is the price for almost all industries though. You work for big company, they’re paying you a salary to write, draw and create for them. Just like my own W2 employer currently, if I come up with anything (invention) related to my job function that can make them money, a patent or trademark idea, they own it and I just keep collecting paychecks. The day I think of a really great idea I know would make money, I quit and go off and do it on my own.

Marvel and DC will never run out of talent though, most writers/artists make their name more well known working for these big employers to then go off on their own to make more money on their own creator owned characters, stories and artwork.

Well, sort of. It’s 30 years later and they seem to pump out more garbage than anything. But yes, when you write or draw while getting Image to publish your work, at least you retain ownership and full control for the most part. Image is just a platform just like the many numerous small publishers out there now that give creators more power of their creations.

3 Likes

substack will die next year, artist will leave when they arnt getting those sponsorship checks next year.

Yeah, a reason the bigger publishers will always have writers and artists is, it’s a consistent paycheck. Until one gets enough notoriety while also enough creative ideas flowing to production, you’re on your own going the independent route.

Only the truly motivated can likely sustain the creator owned route while some just want consistency.

I guess if people would just stop cucking to the Corporatocracy they would have a fighting chance. I think that is what substack is trying to do.

I read about how Disney/Marvel treated Brubaker and Starlin and it is disgusting. Same with DC/WB and Bill Finger. It was the power of people that got WB to pony up.

It is but honestly, these guys should have known what they were signing up for with bigger corporations.

Like myself, I can do a wonder of magic at my current job, saving the company hundreds of thousands of dollars in cost with automation and all I get is… “good job, now get back to work”… :wink:

Brubaker, maybe, but there’s NO way Jim Starlin could ever have known in the early '70s that he would be creating work-for-hire that would helm billion-dollar movies almost fifty years later.