Unethical Conduct By LCS

Went to my local comic shop, Comix Experience, on San Francisco’s Divisadero Street. Got there at 945 am to wait for 10 am opening on December 2 to look for a copy of Daredevil 25. Saw three on the rack at cover price, took one to cashier to pay and was told by the manager that she will not sell them. They were going for 25 to 30 bucks per copy on Ebay at the time. She took the copy that I had picked and she went to the rack to take the other two copies off the rack. I told her it was wrong since the copy that I had picked out was on the rack displayed for sale. She then laughed at me. You folks decide if this was proper conduct.

Dont shop there anymore. It’s their shop they can do as they please but dont reward them by giving them your hard earned money. My opinion. We’ve discussed this very thing at length in other threads. Its sucks.

4 Likes

Seems to me they should’ve taken the copies down or priced em before they opened. What you need to do is bring every comic that you ever bought from them that went down in price and ask for a return.

2 Likes

You’re in the People’s Republic of California (I just escaped San Jose myself…) and I’m sure the City of San Francisco would love nothing more than to punish that business for trying to deny you a sale. Especially since it was priced (printed on the book) and displayed for sale.

1 Like

I won’t be able to escape for a while still…Too many family and work commitments but someday! SOMEDAY!

1 Like

Screw’em! They pull that, never step foot there again! Let them scratch their head a year or so down the road trying to figure out why they went under.

Move on. There is plenty more shops. I have gone through 6 shops in the last 8 years. 2 of which closed down for playing the secondary market game. Even if you have to drive a little further, there will be a honorable shop.

2 Likes

I would never give them any business again. Laughing in your face should be the final straw.

4 Likes

I’d stop shopping there. It’s one thing if they mark it up on their own and put it out at that price, but I can’t stand shops that reprice things based on eBay when you try to buy it.

Near our cabin in central Oregon there’s a shop I used to go to for fun a few times a year when we visited. Partly it was nice going to a shop away from home where the people running it didn’t know me. They got a new manager one day and after I spent maybe an hour going through their dollar comic bins he then took the stack to look everything up on eBay and pulled out ones that were no longer a dollar.

The bottom line is customers are customers, and they shouldnt be the ones pulling product from the floor to be marked up. (Obviously there are a few exceptions like if it was a pricing error or a discount got applied to the SKU accidentally, or if someone just put the wrong price sticker on it.)

3 Likes

I would go back to that shop and spend several hours going through their back issues and putting them all back out of order.

1 Like

Screw 'em. I’d switch to Isotope or some other means.

Never go back again. And spread the word about them. She should have let you get your copy, then proceeded to pull the remaining copies if that’s what they like to do.

2 Likes

Yup. Customers should not do the work for the store

2 Likes

Or. You could always start subscribing to a massive amount of titles, ones that people will never buy off their shelves, and just never go pick up the books. Stop by one time and they will tell you that you have a ton of books in your box. Pull out your phone and go through them and tell them according to eBay they are all worthless.

11 Likes

Haha… that would be awesome but also sounds exhausting… that’s just too much effort. How about we just keep spreading the word here and everywhere for people to avoid them. They’ll truly start to understand that their “customers” and how they treat them is important to staying in business.

2 Likes

Take your pull list, go to the counter and say…none of these are selling high on ebay…you can keep them…laugh and walk out.

1 Like

Or if they have the prized wall comics… if they have prices on them, find every single book that is selling less than what they got listed. Make it seem like you’re buying them all though, they take them all down… as you sort through them, pull out the phone and pull up eBay and point out they should adjust accordingly to the new lower price… if they don’t, tell’em no deal and walk out. If they say sure, still tell’em you’re not interested and walk out so they have to go put them all back up… :wink:

1 Like

These are funny, wish-fulfillment suggestions, but besides shopping elsewhere I would just spread the word. Leave reviews on Google, Yelp and Facebook. Comix Experience is well known, but SOMEONE will see those reviews and go elsewhere. And best case scenario, maybe the owner sees it and it leads to a policy change (either honor cover price for at least a day, or pull hot books off the shelf before you open).

2 Likes

I mean, there’s a difference between telling people they have bad customer service and having people think twice about shopping there vs actively making them waste money… I wouldn’t do that to a small business unless they REALLY desereved it for something.

Yeah, I just warn people to be honest. It’s like when I’m at a restaurant… to get a tip under 10% you really have to do me wrong… If I leave a 10% tip, that’s me telling you that you should quit your job and find something else. I was a waiter so I’m big on tipping cause I know how it goes… you get shit on, you’re basically a slave to that table for an hour or longer… you have likely no benefits and a shitty hourly rate, so yeah, you deserve something nice for serving me while I sit at at table…