Unethical Conduct By LCS

YELP and GOOGLE REVIEWS…

I’ll admit, I never ever ever check yelp… sometimes I even forget it exists.

1 Like

That is rough. I agree with most of the people here when they say find a new LCS. 2 things that should never happen in any retail environment are changing prices of something that someone already has in their hands and disrespecting the customer.

If it is on your shelf for a certain price and someone picks it up to buy at that price, that is the price they should pay. Same goes for online, if someone buys something and the store finds out it is worth more than what was paid so they cancel the order, that is an instant deal breaker for me.

Also, you can disagree with a customer all you want, but disrespecting them is totally uncalled for. Do not work in customer service if you cannot treat customers properly.

The bottom line is, shops that will risk losing a customer to make an extra few bucks, likely will not last long anyway and deserve your business.

I look for a lot more in a LCS than just having good books. It should be a friendly environment where people enjoy going.

Again, the exception is if it WAS a pricing mistake and a clear one. Like if a store lists a PS5 for 5.99 instead of $599 and has to cancel orders, I get it. Or if something has a price tag of $1.99 on it but it’s ringing up at $9.99 and the price tag was just put on it by some random person, I get that.

But if it’s a case of something is listed at a price, is for sale in the system at a price, and the person just decides they don’t want to sell it because they want to raise it to get more then that’s messed up. At the very least sell one copy to the person as a thanks for letting us know it’s on the shelf we wanted to re-price that.

The amount of times I’ve seen small stores lose thousands in future sales because they wanted to get an extra buck or two now is insane to me. Comic shops in particular have a tendency to be short-sighted at times. I think part of it goes back to the fact that the people who open/run comic shops are usually fans or collectors themselves, and there’s an innate desire when you’re a collector to not be “ripped off”.

2 Likes

Yup, if you got a book on the shelf with no bag and board, with no other price on it… then it’s cover price that’s printed right there on the book itself.

If you intend to sell much higher, better put that damn book in a bag and slap a new price on it… or suffer the consequences.

You are correct. A mistake is a mistake and everyone makes them from time to time. I once accidentally let a 1:100 ratio variant slip into the pre-orders list at cover price and the end result was someone bought 15 of them with-in an hour of the mistake. While I have just let slide mistakes if its like $10 or something, a mistake that would put me in debt is not something I can (or should be expected to) honor.

Pretty sure that was me as the customer but it was a 1:25 Batman 105 for 15 copies at cover. You let me know within 5 minutes after clicking order so it was fine. Great packaging on all the orders so far.

2 Likes

The Daredevil 25 was on the new comics shelf with the rest of the new books for December 2, with no bag, no board; and the only price on the book was the cover price.

I don’t love when an LCS marks up a standard issue because they are expecting heat on it. I really don’t like that, but at least they were clear on price. And incentive books can be sold at whatever price a store wants, as that concept is designed specifically for that.

But, if I bring a book up expecting to pay the price on the book or a dollar bin price, and they ebay check it and crank the price up? I’m leaving those books, walking out the door and never coming back. Imagine if any other store did that?

1 Like

I hate leaving negative reviews or feedback anywhere online but sometimes they really are justified. There is a difference between a mistake or maybe someone having a bad day and just flat out disregard for customers or blatant lack of concern for the merchandise or service they paid for.

That was a separate event hah (I am known for this mistake, but I am getting better). I did appreciate your understanding in the matter though! The guy in the other example got pissed that I cancelled them and had me cancel the rest of his order as well, so it is always nice to have understanding customers. In fact, I have found everyone who has bought from us in this community to be quite pleasant. Happy everything is making it to you in good condition!

1 Like

Ya, that is definitely not right. If you really like the shop and do not want to look else where, I would say talk to the owner about it. Sometimes Managers/Employees make decisions without the owners knowledge. It could just be a case of them over stepping their authority. If the owner takes the managers side, you know its a problem that will continue to happen.

1 Like

I was being facetious. However, the store is doing exactly that to its customers. While there are stores the verge of closing. There are customers on the brink of economic disaster as well. You chase your customers off, your just going to close anyway.

4 Likes

Well, hopefully anyone who’s on the verge of economic disaster isn’t out buying comics but yes, you screw your customers over, you’ll be standing next to some of them in the unemployment line.

4 Likes

Well, reviews are there for a reason, so a long as you are honest about your experience good or bad, I am sure others will find it helpful. I know I would.

1 Like

Completely unethical and reprehensible. If they have a facebook page it might be worthwhile to leave a review of their store in which you explain what happened. They would probably lie and say you are lying, though, as it’s obvious morality means nothing to the store owners. Sorry you had to experience that. Their audacity and avarice is just sickening.

I wouldn’t be going back unless there was a sale, or to raid their back bins for spec to put money in my pocket. I would never buy a new, non spec book from them again. :wave:

2 Likes

when your stimulus checks all stop and people begin losing their jobs in earnest, then you will see comic bookshops panic and try to win back customers, however most shops will go out of business…starting with the ones where people walked away due to dishonesty.and such…give it time…cheats don’t prosper long term…to get the ball rolling, speak with your wallet…

3 Likes

If the OP had tried to buy all three I might get it. But being responsible and decent by just buying one and then being treated like that is pretty poor.

4 Likes

The stimulus checks already stopped months ago… if people are getting unemployment benefit payments, it’s the impoverished rates they expect people to try and live on now…

4 Likes