Unethical Conduct By LCS

This prediction is based on what? Your knowledge of the national database for comic book store profits?
When was the last stimulus cheque handed out? August? I don’t think the $1000 in August is really keeping most shops doors open in Dec.

1 Like

I think he meant the PAU (Pandemic Unemployment) that many are getting right now. That’s set to stop later this month if Congress doesn’t get their heads out of their asses and pass a Bill.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s for people who don’t qualify for the state unemployment benefits, which is just unemployment on federal level. The actual extra stimulus payments stopped months ago. I’m certain the PAU benefits are just as shitty as the state ones… :wink:

And if people are spending their unemployment payments on comics, makes me question why they’re getting unemployment benefits. It’s really for the bare necessity payments… shelter (w/ basic utilities) and food… everything else you can live without.

1 Like

If govt won’t do their jobs and pass a bill, people should take to the street and go on strike. Seriously, they need to do their jobs and stop with this political posturing or gtfo.

1 Like

This has been going on for many decades though… the government operates on sloth speed…

I did work for the DOD long ago, it was maddening just to get things approved on the government level and the waste, so much tax dollars wasted.

Okay, we should probably get back on topic.

So yeah, stop going to this shop and thanks for warning others to steer clear. Some shop owners have to learn the hard way.

My uncle worked for Hughes Aircraft back in the day, and they had government contracts. He was responsible for inventory management in some capacity. A government official came by to their routine audit of the inventory, and the official told my uncle that Hughes Aircraft could lose 10% of the government’s property annually and they wouldn’t bat an eye.

The fact that everywhere except China is entering a depression…short of a great change, I think comic shops are going down as they are only entertainment and not essential.

Strangely comic prices in the secondary markets seem to have gone up lol

I think a lot of people now, working from home, not eating out as much are ending up with a lot of disposable income they never realized they had until things in their life are cut out which could of been the contributing factor like we saw over the summer in the buying frenzy, so yes, retailers and speculators are taking advantage while people feel the need to fill their lives by buying more stuff. :wink:

1 Like

There is no defined parameters for what you are calling an economic ‘depression’. If this is an economic depression, then I’m okay with that. Comic book sales are setting sales records on, almost, a daily basis. If that is a depression, then I’m all for depressions.

I thought 3 quarters without growth was a definition

Yeah, don’t like how we measure our economy here based on what stocks are doing, it’s not the overall picture of what’s happening in our current situation. Sure stocks are doing better than expected but someone please go look up how many actual Americans own or trade stocks currently? I think at one time in 2015 or 2016 only 55% of Americans owned stock, directly or indirectly but around 84% of the current stock was controlled by the top 10% rich Americans. I haven’t looked into more recent but I’m sure that gap is even smaller now with the top 10% controlling more since I’m sure the majority of Americans who have “stock” are likely when they’re employed with benefits.

I wouldn’t measure comic book sales doing great as a sign we’re not in some sort of depression. That’s just the people who still have jobs, stuck at home, bored cause they can’t go out to eat, do daily activities… people who have spare cash have that cash burning holes in their pockets is my hunch.

2 Likes

Where do you see/find that definition? I believe you have depression mixed up with recession.
A recession is defined by 3 consecutive quarters with negative growth, not a depression.

And yes, we’re in a recession rather than depression currently. Recessions are shorter declines while depressions last years…

I hate that term top 10%. For top 10% wage earners. It’s kind of a buzz word to make people look bad. 30% of America has a combined family income of over $100,000 a year. The average family income for 2019 is $89,000. Buzz words like top 10% is so hollow.

1 Like

It’s just a way to describe that the top 10% earners control 84% of the stock market.

Top 10% is about 30% of the population. 10% sounds much more elite than 30%

But if you say 10% of the top earners control 84% of the stock market… it’s still factual.

1 out of every 10 Americans have eaten a booger in their lifetime.

10% of Americans have eaten a booger in their lifetime.

Doesn’t matter how it’s said if they are both factual.

Gross.

1 Like