Venom 25 / 2nd Print vs Venom 27 / 3rd Print?

I only really expect 9.8 when handpicked. Everything else is a crapshoot.

1 Like

If the store does 9.8 preorders on any particular store book, then the best copies will get picked to fill those 9.8 pre orders. That leaves the best of the rest for the other customers. Most retailers put a subtle disclaimer that all new books will be 9.2 or better. :stars:

This makes sense and was aware of the disclaimer but… was still hopeful for better. I mean even a good looking 9.6 would have been nice (to be fair the store exclusives I got may very well fall into the 9.6 bucket but that is at best - 9.4s at worst)…

but then there’s the 3rd Printings of Venom #27… They really, REALLY look like crap - the defects ruin the cover appeal for me. I guess if you’re strictly a reader then there’s not much to it but as a collector, the copies that I got just don’t cut it.

Also, I haven’t really gone full flipper-mode like a lot of the folks on this forum so I’m basically stuck with these copies until I start reselling (still concerned with getting screwed by scam buyers on ebay + ebay’s buyer almost always wins policy).

Only been back at this for a 1-2 months now. Learning quickly though while spending a whole lot of money in the process. Backing up what others have said – the best copies that I’ve gotten over the past couple of months have been hand picked by myself from the LCS.

Midtown has sent me a fair amount of pristine looking books too so I have to give credit where it’s due - but they’ve also given me some absolute duds so ultimately a mixed bag with them.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone in here. :+1:

Have some more copies of the Venom 27 p3 on the way from TFAW and Midtown… fingers crossed.

1 Like

I’ve been back in the comic game for about 5 years. I ordered a lot online when I first got back in. I had issues with almost every order. I now don’t shop online at all. I buy all my books, hand picked, from my network of LCS’. I’m a much happier collector now.

2 Likes

This sounds like such familiar territory. Haven’t received a single order that I’ve been completely happy with - Midtown comes the closest.

I also think it’s going to end up for me as it did for you, and I’m just going to have to live with missing out on books when I’m unable to find an LCS copy that makes the personal cut in terms of quality.

Similar to what you’ve already said - I am much, much happier when I’m able to go home with a good copy of a book that I’m after.

1 Like

Establish a good relationship with your LCS’. Once you have an honest, open relationship with your local dealer, I have found I can call, or email, the store on any given Monday or Tuesday and have the books I want pulled from the shelf. I don’t get to hand pick those copies, but more often than not, the store owner grabs a nice clean copy for myself. I can always put the book back on the shelf if it is too damaged for my liking. And getting over FOMO is the best thing you can do as a speculator/collector. There will be another boat to get on, almost every Wednesday.

2 Likes

Literally “million dollar” advice right here. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

It makes sense, but it’s sad to think you basically can’t order raw from a website/store that does 9.8 pre-orders. Why even bother giving them business on raws if you’re interested in NM let alone a lotto ticket for 9.8.

The chipping is a bit out of control on the Venom 27 3rd print, to the point that I can find a tiny chip on almost every copy near the lower third of the spine just above the bottom staple. But the screenshots you showed, indicate poor handling beyond even that.

Color rub, deep color breaking spine creases and of course chipping. They should have sent you a copy with foxing to really show they don’t give af. Looks like someone hit that book with the Necrosword

2 Likes

Frankly I find it shocking that anyone other than a casual reader that doesn’t even bag and board his/her books would be happy with the copies I received. How stores sell books in this condition and end up with happy customers is beyond me.

2 Likes

Yup… Unknown has that disclaimer on their page. I know, I just used my $20 gift voucher for their screw up for some “reader” books…

I think there are different level of breeds when it comes to comics and their condition. There are those that are truly picky on condition, only wanting 9.8 or better books and then there are some that only care if it’s just not beat to hell. I’ve been at shops where you see some sorting and analyzing the stack and then those that just walk up, grab whatever copy is on the edge.

I think we tend to forget as collectors, there are still just as many or more that buy comics to read. I know more readers than collectors locally… it’s all the people on CHU that I interact that put more effort in finding the perfect condition books.

I still have titles I buy that are readers… if they show up with a few spine ticks or dings, I normally don’t care. It’s only the spec books I pick up a few extra for that I intend to sell or not read I want better condition.

I hate to say it but I sell to FOMO. Thats the way speculators make profits nowadays. Have what everyone else is jonsing for.

Yes, flipping books is like being a drug dealer… don’t fall in love with the product you want to sell but you want everyone else to stay addicted themselves.

While I don’t usually fall for FOMO (cause if you miss out, there’s always another sooner rather than later)… I want others to stay infected with FOMO cause if I’m selling while people are buying, yeeehaw for me!

3 Likes

It is what it is though - that’s part of the game. All one can do is manage their own reaction to the hype so as not to make irrational/emotional decisions.

2 Likes

https://mutantbeavercomics.com/collections/featured-collection/products/pre-order-venom-29-jonboy-meyers-exclusive-11-15-20

1 Like

Very true. I always seer clear of of ordering anything when one of the options is a guaranteed 9.8. Buying online is already a gamble, so I will avoid it when they literally tell me that they are lowering my odds.

3 Likes

VENOM #30 UNKNOWN COMICS TYLER KIRKHAM EXCLUSIVE VAR (11/18/2020) https://unknowncomicbooks.com/products/venom-30-unknown-comics-tyler-kirkham-exclusive-var-11-18-2021

Can that be both awesome and also confusing? When did Venom end up in the Ninth Tride of Atlantis?

Sooo…is Scorpo-Venom wearing a tee shirt…or do you get a tee shirt for ordering this bundle…?

1 Like

The thought of this being unclear regarding the t-shirt is very funny. It would be even funnier if the t-shirt actually says “Secret T-Shirt.”

In any event, I really hope that ultimately the secret is that Scorpo-Venom doesn’t suck. Because I’m slightly skeptical we’re on a slippery slope of Venomizing too many things.

I’ve been critical of DC at times for Jokerizing and Batmaning too many things and I’d love to not feel that way about Venom.

1 Like