We all hate store variants but

He was a store variant guy. Seems not so much anymore

3 Likes

Very nice post from Szerdy, I am happy he is finding success. A lot of people nowadays donā€™t express their appreciation for people who helped them get to where they are now.

5 Likes

My wife knows him from high school. She showed me the post last night and I was like ā€œthat is a huge dealā€. Good to see him now able to use his talents at Marvel. Iā€™ve got his Batman ā€œLast Supperā€ print framed in my collectibles room. Talented guy.

1 Like

More info on the Scottā€™s collectibles vip program :woozy_face:

Lmao what a joke. They think insanely highly of their own exclusives to try to push that. Especially at a time when the entire comic market (and collectibles in general) is way down.

4 Likes

But why???

4 Likes

Itā€™s coming. You know sooner or later there will be a crossover of some kind.

An actual photo of Mike Mayhew

4 Likes

3 Likes

Does Mayhew have an account as a seller on WhatNot?
If not, he should.
He fits the WhatNot mold perfectly with the majority of sellers on there - peddling snake oil and rhinestones and people falling for it. Heā€™d do quite well.

3 Likes

I believe he does have one.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad Szerdy is having success. Seems like a nice person from all Iā€™ve heard (and times Iā€™ve talked with him), and itā€™s always fun seeing a new artist emerge and get recognition from big publishers.

2 Likes

He does. Those remarks above are specifically for whatnot sales.

1 Like

Any see the email with A new exclusive sale from unknown ,
there all frankies exclusives

probably buying for pennies on the dollar - fire saleā€¦

1 Like

which is absolutely shitty because Frankies is out there telling customers they canā€™t ship orders because of the BK and isnā€™t paying the artists.

2 Likes

Yea feankies selling on whatnot every day multiple times a day looks bad. I understand the old orders are tied into the bankruptcy, but it leaves a bad image. If I was a buyer and my orders were stuck in limbo, i would request a refund from my bank or whoever. That is total BS on frankies part

3 Likes

What Kevin has said on Facebook is he cannot ship orders that were placed before 12/14 as they are no included as unsecured debt as part of the bankruptcy. However Whatnot sales that take place after the date can be shipped as part of their bankruptcy is they can sell stuff to keep paying staff and stuff. Now then, that sucks for people who purchased as part of their Black Friday sale. They could have also fire sale-d books as part of revenue generation to unknown. Now it would really suck if those are the same books that people are waiting for.

1 Like

The entire situation is kind of total BS. The amount of debt they owe, it didnā€™t sneak up because one cover did poorly. Thereā€™s no way they didnā€™t know it was coming, and they kept hiring artists and doing covers likely knowing they had no funds to cover it. And ran several big sales right before announcing the bankruptcy (including spending tens of thousands on various comic-con hotel rooms) that will probably never be delivered to the purchasers.

The excuse they gave on FB of only deciding to declare bankruptcy on 12/12 so thatā€™s why they kept having sales and taking orders is BS. Iā€™m not sure if they thought they could convince their creditors to just not accept payment or take pennies on the dollar of what was owed or what, but it sucks for customers and artists who supported them all that time to be the ones getting hurt.

3 Likes

Denial is a big issue with most. They donā€™t want to admit defeat and throw in the white flag until thereā€™s no other choice.

This is a classic, you probably shouldā€™t be running a business. When you base your business on something that is not sustainable long term, youā€™re doomed from the beginning. The whole goal of a comic shop is to move inventory. Stop worrying about what the secondary market is doing and base your business on what you know you can sell and move it. If you find yourself buying and buying inventory but not selling the amount youā€™re bringing in with the bills stacking higher and higher, well then, itā€™s all on you at that point.

3 Likes